TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Japan (USJ) Discussion Thread

p. 45: Donkey Kong Country announced for 2024!

^^ Freaks and geeks ftw

Also f*ck all of you. My entire chilchood is built upon memories of that movie.

OK, that's enough of that.

My comment was directed toward the ride, not the movie. Never cared much for that Universal attraction.

This might come as a surprise considering my avatar but the ride was always meh at best and I kind of felt differed from the tones of the movie anyway, I would have liked to go during closing purely to have a last chance to see if I could find any of the crazy BTTF merchandise they used to have that got evicted for the minions shop. and see what they do to honor the closing, especially since it's a 2 hour flight.

As a huge BTTF fan, I loved walking up and seeing the Delorean and the BTTF logo on a giant building, as well as a shop with nothing but BTTF merchandise, hearing the theme music pumped around the area, even the Doctor Brown mini-clips and seeing that climb in Delorean ride-vehicle. But the ride itself.... probably my least favorite part. Its included on the DVD extras of the films so it's purely nostalgia that I end up riding it.

I wonder how, USJ isn't the most attended theme park in the world yet. Seeing how a 3 hour line for the big rides is considered normal there (assuming that they utilize their rides' capacity to the max).

For example, I have never seen a line at the magic kingdom over 3 hours long (even in the summer), and somehow it still gets around 6 million more visitors a year than USJ.

curious...curious..

I wonder how, USJ isn't the most attended theme park in the world yet. Seeing how a 3 hour line for the big rides is considered normal there (assuming that they utilize their rides' capacity to the max).

For example, I have never seen a line at the magic kingdom over 3 hours long (even in the summer), and somehow it still gets around 6 million more visitors a year than USJ.

curious...curious..

Assuming you've never been to Disney on New Years, lines are ridiculous. Test Track for example 300 mins.

curious...curious..

It's got to be capacity and quantity of attractions. I went to both USJ and Tokyo Disney last Summer, and while both parks were crowded, USJ felt a lot more crowded than Tokyo Disneyland or DisneySea, plus they had longer waits on the majority of their attractions (with a few exceptions). Tokyo Disney is more of a resort with parks, shopping, and hotels and more people are in and out throughout the day, while USJ is one park (though it does have shopping and hotels) with much shorter hours so more people are there open to close. Tokyo Disneyland also has much more attractions in its park to absorb people, though most of USJ's attractions are E ticket ones.

Maybe you need to compare the number of attractions at each park to find your answer.

^ It should mean (to me), it will operate up to and including May 31st, and then be totally closed up the next day, June 1st.

Edited by Nrthwnd

I'm surprised so many people are indifferent to the closing of BTTF. I thought it was one of those treasured rides and franchises and that people were practically traumatized by the closure of the other ones. Shows how much I know (or else I'm thinking of something else). Really glad I got to ride it and and see the area, though!

Me and my partner got to ride it in Florida in it's first three months of opening! And it was a amazing to us back then.

Now, it's just one of those attractions that needs attention, upgrading, total renovation/rebuilding, re-theming...whew!

I also get the feeling, that the Minions are (eep) in for a larger presence at Universal:Japan. Time will tell.

Since then, I have ridden the Hollywood one and the one in Osaka, on two TPR Japan Tours. "As I get older" blah blah,

things just start to get rough on me/us. But - when I read it happening to those in their 20s and 30s etc., I took note.

The last time I rode any of them was in Japan, in 2011. Was good. Not as rough as I remember a 2nd Florida visit.

Looking forward to what they come up with, next!

Guess I need to weigh in on this...

I loved BTTF, favorite simulator of all time. Everyone who said it was rough just doesn't know a proper good rogering. It'll always live on with my BTTF Trilogy Blu-Ray.

It'll always live on with my BTTF Trilogy Blu-Ray.

Now you just need to buy a d-box home theater and you're all set.

Not sure if it's the same for all the Blu-rays but my wife got me the 30th anniversary one as a late birthday present (since I'd never seen the animated series before) and they'd thrown in D-box motion code for the ride footage (and the movies I think) although I've yet to ever meet someone with it in their home or a cinema with it either since I think Korean 4DX might be a different system.

I'm surprised so many people are indifferent to the closing of BTTF. I thought it was one of those treasured rides and franchises and that people were practically traumatized by the closure of the other ones. Shows how much I know (or else I'm thinking of something else). Really glad I got to ride it and and see the area, though!

BTTF is and will always be a beloved franchise. But everyone knew it would be closed eventually. I'm also glad you got to ride this and Backdraft before they went away. At least, the park will still have JAWS for nostalgic reasons. I will fight them if they ever decided to take JAWS out for Potter.

Although I enjoyed the first BTTF movie, I wasn't crazy about the two that followed, and was never fond of the ride.

They are the exact same thing minus a lift that raises the motion base up a level on simpsons/BTTF.

But I wasn't referring to the ride system---I was referring to the content. Extremely outdated. I'm not a fan of motion simulators to begin with, but I still prefer motion simulators with modern projection/content.

BTTF is a great franchise, but it is officially filed away into nostalgia (especially when the future is now officially in the past) and not really marketable as a theme park attraction anymore.

Edited by Jew

They are the exact same thing minus a lift that raises the motion base up a level on simpsons/BTTF.

Wait, seriously? Wow, they under-utilize the capability of that base with Minions. I get that it's a family ride and all but c'mon, grow some balls.

^ I always thought that this would be a great attraction, to do a Halloween Haunt overlay on, and then

AMP up the technology HUGE to give the gp and myself, a really good SCAREpoopy.