TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Japan (USJ) Discussion Thread

p. 45: Donkey Kong Country announced for 2024!

Great to hear. Never rode it, but this looks like one of the more enjoyable "hyper" models. It seems B&M makes better rides when they have more limitations. The same can be said for anything, but this shows it in coaster terms.

What's with all the B&M's running backwards? I think that some parks (probably SF's batmans) asked if they could run backwards and then got the Ok. Now the other parks are jumping on the bandwagon.

What's with all the B&M's running backwards? I think that some parks (probably SF's batmans) asked if they could run backwards and then got the Ok. Now the other parks are jumping on the bandwagon.

No, I really doubt that Six Flags initiated this and that all these other parks have magically been able to announce theirs running backwards the next day.

B&M probably came to the parks with an upsell safe way to turn the trains backwards and a lot of the parks are going for it as a cheap gimmick.

Wait... What other B&Ms run backwards?

So far Great America announced Batman backwards, and Thorpe Park just gave a clue that one of their coasters will run backwards. We are assuming its Nemesis or Swarm.

Edited by robbalvey

It's weird all these B&M backwards announcements are coming out at once.

I wouldn't be surprised if B&M just finished testing and gave the okay in the past few weeks. Since it sounds like a fairly easy switch out, a lot of parks might want to adopt it for 2013 season headlines.

IMhO

I would rather go forward on that coaster at USJ.

The way it's laid out I found exhilarating and a

pretty good rush. Forward.

The Japanese pop hits onboard were fun, too.

And after that bad experience with the Indy Jones

coaster (Backwards!) back in 2002 at DLParis, I

would rather see what's coming up, than have to

feel my body getting into stress-mode, for what

was ahead.

Wait... What other B&Ms run backwards?

So far Great America announced Batman backwards, and Thorpe Park just gave a clue that one of their coasters will run backwards. We are assuming its Nemesis or Swarm.

Interesting. I wonder how B&M is doing this. I see two possibilities:

1. Turn the whole train around so the lead car is on the back of the trains' forward motion. The is how PTC did it. My concern is that this would screw up the way the train steers through the track. (Arrow did reverse trailering, and we all know how their rides run! Yes, I know the gaps are the primary cause, but still.)

2. The more likely solution: Simply turn the seats around on each car.

^ The inverted coasters are turned backwards by mounting the current seats onto a new chassi that was built specifically for going backwards.

Source?

I can't believe that they would spend all this money on a new chassis just to turn the seats around for a period of time...

^ The inverted coasters are turned backwards by mounting the current seats onto a new chassi that was built specifically for going backwards.

Source?

I can't believe that they would spend all this money on a new chassis just to turn the seats around for a period of time...

I think that makes sense for SF since they'll probably run it at SFGAm for a while then ship the chassis to another park and just rotating it through the parks to build hype up around B:TR again.

Source?

Great America said it at

Source?

Great America said it at

Here it is at the specific time they mention ordering a chassis for those who don't want to skim through the video trying to find it

I kind of liked the ride going forward but I would give it a shot running backwards. I don't think it is something that I would want all the time. There is something to sitting in the front and watching where you are going that beats out the backwards thing.