TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Japan (USJ) Discussion Thread

p. 45: Donkey Kong Country announced for 2024!

..but if it makes you sick, what's the point?

For me that's the biggest fault with the ride. I've been on some of the most extreme rides in the world and Harry Potter is one of maybe three rides that gives me motion sickness.

^It got my parents sick and they usually love 'simulator' type rides.

It made me sick, but I often get sick on rides like that. I think it's actually a bit long for the ride type, if it had been a bit shorter in time duration we would have been fine, but it just kept going and going!

I respect everyone's opinion here, but I find it hard to believe that anyone could consider Potter a truly bad attraction. Does it have its faults? Of course, the storyline is lacking, it does cause quite a bit of motion sickness for some. But its still one of the most technologically advanced, immersive rides, that covers a beloved once-in-a-generation franchise. Looking forward to seeing Potter with the Japanese touch (aka, 10 times better than the US versions...)

I understand where you're coming from, but those two points would seem to be pretty significant, especially the second one, no? I mean, it could be the most technologically advanced ride on the planet AND be themed to supermodels, pizza, sex, and sharks......but if it makes you sick, what's the point?

And that's pretty much why I consider it a "bad" ride. I don't know what the hell is going on with the "story," AND it makes me slightly nauseous. Therefore, I'll just stick to the butterbeer and pumpkin juice.

Personally, I don't see this any different than a coaster. It is my understanding that one of the main reasons people don't ride some massive coasters is due to sickness. Now, obviously, most of the people I associate with, and I assume yourself, do not suffer for these problems. And most people who do, see exactly what a the 200 foot steel giant does before even riding and decide to not ride anyways.

I think one of the major issues with FJ is people have no idea what the ride system does, and the fact that the ride system itself is rather extreme, and there is screens can be pretty nauseating. But seeing that most people don't know either of these things will be present on the ride, there is likely a greater percentage of people getting motion sickness simply because they didn't expect the ride to be the way it is.

However, personally, I think the ride system is what makes the ride so amazing. It's a very wild, out of control, unpredictable experience that I do not believe can be felt at any other theme park (even Disney). Plus the theming is top notch. If Universal could come up with a no-height limit, slow motion ride (even something like Poseidon's Fury), then they'd really have a 1-2 punch that appeals to all theme park goers: thrill seekers and the non.

This is incredible...I hope Universal doesn't get too over their head by building so much potter, although it seems like a good move as some of the members are saying how popular it is in Japan.

By the way, did anyone see in the LA Times article that Uni is planning an expansion in Orlando (kind of already knew that but does this kind of confirm that?!) and that it was planning parks in South Korea, Dubai and Russia. I know Russia was pretty much announced but I thought they cancelled Dubai and South Korea?

I think what the majority of people's complaints on this site about Potterland is this -

For those people into Potter, it's amazing. Seriously fantastic! It speaks to their audience insanely well! BUT....

To *some* of those people who have never read a book or seen a movie, much of it is lost. Other than it being a "pretty looking area" (which is it), the ride makes little sense, and the point of wanting to stand in line hours for a shop has little meaning.

Forbidden Journey makes the assumption that every person who walks into the queue knows everything there is to know about Potterverse. I've ridden the ride like 4 times now, and I haven't got a clue what's going on, and when someone tries to explain it to me, it starts to make even less sense!

I'm actually a Potter fan, but I completely agree with you. Forbidden Journey has NO storyline whatsoever. It's a great simulator, and the Kuka arm is the smoothest and most amazing experience I think that a simulator can offer. But if I hadn't read the books, I wouldn't have had a single clue about what in the world was going on. I can only imagine - *SPOILER* there's green smoke, there's flying, there's a random dragon and a fat guy with a big beard, there are spiders and weird demons, and a tree, and clapping children. It isn't fluid, and it's very confusing.

Basically, I just wanted to express that even my boyfriend and I - both avid Potter fans - agree with you and everything you say about the area. It's overcrowded and makes no effort to include those who don't know the minute details of the Potter world. And then on top of it there are just thousands of the most annoying teenagers I've ever had the misfortune to be surrounded with in my entire life...

I do hope that they see this and fix some things for the Japanese market. But considering that the original article noted that market is the second-largest for Potter next to the US, I doubt they'll change anything at all.

Forbidden Journey makes the assumption that every person who walks into the queue knows everything there is to know about Potterverse. I've ridden the ride like 4 times now, and I haven't got a clue what's going on, and when someone tries to explain it to me, it starts to make even less sense!

I have seen all the movies many times and have read all the books (except the last) and I still had no idea what was going on in the ride. Even after 5 rides I still couldn't piece together the storyline... just seemed like they just picked the most iconic scenes and rolled the dice hoping they would work. But they just ended up with a big multi million dollar mess.

Yikes I got really sick in the Back to the Future ride at Universtal Studios Japan, can't image what it must be like if I go on this Potter ride.

And while it is a very good thing that they're building this without the removal of other rides, I'm not a diehard Potter fan. And judging from the reactions that Potterland got in the US, it doesn't seem to have too much appeal to me.

The thing that I find kinda silly is that the whole premise of the ride is that non-wizards ("muggles") are being let into to Hogwarts for the first time ever, so surely that should be a green light for Universal to basically tell the story in a manner that ensures the uninitiated "get it".

Treat all guests as if they are outsiders basically, and that would help it reach out to more people.

I mean, in the queue they have done some details that if you took in religiously and memorised would help the story make sense.

For instance, in the defence against the dark arts classroom there is writing on the blackboard that explains that "Expecto Patronus" is the spell that should be used against Dementors. Problem is, I doubt someone unfamilar with HP would notice that, let alone recall it in that scene in the ride.

The jumps between scenes in the ride itself are a bit problematic too. How did we go from being in the wooden bridge to being in the Forbidden Forest? How did we go from being in the Quiddich Pitch to in the Chamber of Secrets? Kinda seems they really wanted to include everything and rely upon guests to fill in the blanks.

On the merchandise and Food and Bev side of things I think the way they have approached it is probably fine, because I doubt non fans are going to buy much merch anyway, so might as well go for authenticity.

The food options too I think are appealing enough for anyone, fan or not.

When you ride their latest, Transformers at least with the dialogue they keep it simple enough, and, when the opportunity arises EVAC provides convenient commentary for those who don't really know the characters, eg at the start: "I'ts Ravage! He's after the Allspark, we gotta catch him!"...Works well and lets all guests know exactly what is going on.

I've never seen a Potter film, read a Potter book or been that intestered but I can't really understand how it's difficult to understand the story.

You are visiting some sort of Wizard castle, it gets attacked by black floating things, these wizards give you a broomstick to jump on, you journey through some stuff, a bridge, a forest, over the castle and through some flying football game all the time avoiding these black floaty things. In the end a wizard casts a spell and scares them offl, then you fly back to the castle where everyone is clapping you!

Really for the layperson there isn't much more to it than that.

I've never seen a Potter film, read a Potter book or been that intestered but I can't really understand how it's difficult to understand the story.

You are visiting some sort of Wizard castle, it gets attacked by black floating things, these wizards give you a broomstick to jump on, you journey through some stuff, a bridge, a forest, over the castle and through some flying football game all the time avoiding these black floaty things. In the end a wizard casts a spell and scares them offl, then you fly back to the castle where everyone is clapping you!

Really for the layperson there isn't much more to it than that.

Well, thanks for clearing that up, chief. Here, this is for your effort.....

cookie.jpg.cd73e1a2ecb36a98b85999c299a35aae.jpg

Oh, and thanks for confirming our ignorance on the matter of all things Potter. We all thank you.

• 3 months later...

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/08/26/have-a-delicious-resident-evil-brains-dinner-at-universal-japan

A collaboration was just announced between CAPCOM, the makers of the popular Biohazard (Resident Evil) series and Universal Studios Japan -- just in time for this Autumn's Halloween Horror Nights event held at the theme park.

99a9486dcfc6a886579f919edbf33a4c1346048788_full.jpg.ac8baf5528b9b1a03b0344dde8b5d328.jpg

They'll be using the stage that houses the Terminator 2 3:D, and Umbrella Corporation will turn it into a walk-though maze where performers will be making the Biohazard (Resident Evil) world come to life! The setting is reported to be Gramercy Park, New York which, at night, has become a T-Virus-infected zombie wonderland.

And to compliment the exhibit, they'll be offering a special, limited time menu including "Brains T-Virus" pasta.

684758f082bddd10e0067daf4fecfd911346048823_full.jpg.cae045cd4d32fc7f4fd81d1a756b55dd.jpg

As well as a non alcoholic Mixed Herb Drink (soft drink) and an alcoholic "Birkin G" drink.

44c36f9e9f934d4bae86e837709b759c1346048851_full.jpg.500d6856b187e3f983eca1019c20d7cc.jpg

Universal Studios Japan's Halloween Horror Nights will be held for 36 nights, every weekend on Fridays through Mondays, from 6:00 PM through 9:00 PM, starting September 11th and running until October 31st. BioHazard 6 is due to be released in Japan on October 4th, 2012.

Would you come to Osaka to eat some brains and get scared by some zombies?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't want to make a new thread just for this so Ill just leave it here.

Screamscape just put up a very interesting and funny story about Back to the Future and how the ride's story may cause its removal in a few years.

It has been several years since we’ve heard any kind of peep from Universal Studios Japan regarding a possible replacement for the last remaining Back To The Future ride. Previous rumor suggested that they were looking to shut it down by 2012, but so far this has not happened and isn’t even an active rumor as of late.

That said, I was watching some old videos of the BTTF ride from back in the day, and recalled a unique feature of the time machine cars used in the ride. As fans of the film series know, a primary feature of the dashboard was the three-color coded Time Circuits display, showing off your “Destination Time”, “Present Time” and “Last Time Departed”.

So when the ride starts and you jump ahead to the futuristic Hill Valley of 2015, you see that date displayed on the Time Circuits during the actual ride experience. However, a neat feature designed to make the ride seem more immersive when it first opened in 1992 is going to cause some problems in the near future for the remaining ride. As you board the ride car, riders are quick to notice that the “Present Time” listed on the Time Circuits is indeed the actual real world time in which they are in. While this was fine in the 1990s and early 2000’s... I’ve got to think that the guests in Japan are already getting a good laugh when they initial time jump is only a jump from 2012 (soon 2013) to 2015 to see “The Future!” Once 2015 comes around for real... the time traveling storyline isn’t going to make any sense at all. 2016 anyone? 2017? While Doc will say he is taking you on a trip to the future, guests will be transported back in time to 2015 instead of forward.

So in short... I think the clock is ticking away very quickly for our friends in Japan, as the caretakers of the last Back To The Future: The Ride attraction in the world. By the time 2015 comes around, it would only make sense to close the ride once and for all to create a new attraction, rather than risk a Time Paradox. And as Doc. Brown would be quick to point out, "The results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe!... Granted, that's the worst-case scenario. The destruction however might be limited merely to our own galaxy."

www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_japan.htm