TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Japan (USJ) Discussion Thread

p. 45: Donkey Kong Country announced for 2024!

I also find the 2016 date for LA to be staggeringly dissapointing. They better be cloning Forbidden Journey because if they're not, it's just a freakin' joke. I thought they were simply demolishing the amplitheater? There's plenty of room if they just get rid of that money drain.

I highly doubt that I will ever get to Japan, but if I do this would def. be a stop. I love Harry Potter and Universal Orlando did an amazing job. I know a lot of people do not like this idea, but at least read the books! Maybe they will change your mind

Umm.I heard Harry Potter at USH is slated to open 2014-15. not 2016....I dont know where people got that from.btw Harry Potter USH is going to fill Gibson,Shrek,Curious George,and rumored Waterworld.

I've been hearing the same thing as well. I'm hearing everywhere that WaterWorld is safe and that Shrek and Gibson will be getting the axe. Curious George will most likely stay but be Potterized. They also want to have it doe by Summer 2014 but 2015 may be more realistic.

I know one thing for sure: USH wants Potter done by 2015. Japan will probably be finished ahead of us, but not THAT late.

This comes as no surprise given the massive success of the Orlando Resort. I think we can pretty much assume Hogwarts with the FJ and Hogsmeade with a much larger Ollivanders are a guarantee. As a fan of the series it would be really nice to see Universal give Osaka, Hollywood, and HP2 in Orlando an attraction unique to each resort. Its going to be cool to watch all of this construction over the next 3 years and watch all of these attractions come together.

...and uh...most things I have seen,

copied in the major Japan parks.... well....

USJ Potter will probably blow the USIoA original

off of it's foundations, too.

And then there's the new Potter second section

being built in USO, with the indoor coaster tie-in?

Awesome if they add that, too.

I'm still amazed that even something this complex and well-themed will take 2.5 years to build. And longer for Hollywood.

I mean, we're talking theme park attractions, not the new World Trade Center!

I'll be interested to see how far along they are when I go in October. Assuming that I can see anything, of course!

I have the feeling the new Potter addition is going where the previous OZLand used to be at USJ.

That's where a VERY truncated version of "Wicked" was staged, as well as an Oz-themed

merry-go-round...and a gift shop, lol!

The whole thing was closed up and fenced this past summer when TPR toured there.

Hmmm.

C_13OzLand_Universal.jpg.fd980f4bde1ff1b3a2d102033bf15452.jpg

Me in front of all of OZ, USJ-style. (2007 TPR Tour)

Wicked_TokyoUniversal.jpg.3b0304ee479c7072364a22612f3b3b92.jpg

And this was at the back of it all - with stadium seating and huge stage area. So... a PotterLand here? Possible/probable.

I'm still amazed that even something this complex and well-themed will take 2.5 years to build. And longer for Hollywood.

I mean, we're talking theme park attractions, not the new World Trade Center!

I'll be interested to see how far along they are when I go in October. Assuming that I can see anything, of course!

I have heard that JK Rowling is very hands on with these projects, so I would say that is not too surprising (in fact, I incorrectly speculated that because she was so hands on, licensing with another owner would take longer...oops!) if she is really that involved in making sure every detail is correct. It's more complex when working with 3rd parties, let alone the engineering efforts it must take on all levels (structure, electrical, ride, architecture) it must take for a project like that.

Heck, even Carsland was announced in 2007 and is just now getting ready to open!

Edited by Jew

I have the feeling the new Potter addition is going where the previous OZLand used to be at USJ.

Actually, I think it will be built in the empty spot between Jurassic Park and WaterWorld (top left):

The Land of Oz area has been rethemed to Sesame Street for this season. Also, it would be a bit crazy to build the HUGE Forbidden Journey building right next to the park's entrance, when they have space in the back.

Edited by BDG

i can only one thing right now! 'Re'start construction on Universal Studio's Europe please?

This will be great, already wanted to visit USJ. But this will make it even better!

Wasn't the entire Oz-section redone just this year into Universal Wonderland featuring Snoopy, Sesame Street, and Hello Kitty in basically Universal's own Toon Town?

I respect everyone's opinion here, but I find it hard to believe that anyone could consider Potter a truly bad attraction. Does it have its faults? Of course, the storyline is lacking, it does cause quite a bit of motion sickness for some. But its still one of the most technologically advanced, immersive rides, that covers a beloved once-in-a-generation franchise. Looking forward to seeing Potter with the Japanese touch (aka, 10 times better than the US versions...)

I respect everyone's opinion here, but I find it hard to believe that anyone could consider Potter a truly bad attraction. Does it have its faults? Of course, the storyline is lacking, it does cause quite a bit of motion sickness for some. But its still one of the most technologically advanced, immersive rides, that covers a beloved once-in-a-generation franchise. Looking forward to seeing Potter with the Japanese touch (aka, 10 times better than the US versions...)

I think what the majority of people's complaints on this site about Potterland is this -

For those people into Potter, it's amazing. Seriously fantastic! It speaks to their audience insanely well! BUT....

To *some* of those people who have never read a book or seen a movie, much of it is lost. Other than it being a "pretty looking area" (which is it), the ride makes little sense, and the point of wanting to stand in line hours for a shop has little meaning.

Whereas other rides, like Star Tours 2 or even Spider-Man for example, the storyline is very simple and you can "get" what is going on without having seen any of the movies, reading comics, etc.

Forbidden Journey makes the assumption that every person who walks into the queue knows everything there is to know about Potterverse. I've ridden the ride like 4 times now, and I haven't got a clue what's going on, and when someone tries to explain it to me, it starts to make even less sense!

I would have liked to have seen the area cater to both fans of the childrens books AND newbies alike. But it really caters mostly to those who are die-hard or at least casual fans of the books or films. And in reality, there are probably more of them than there are of me, but still, I find that to be the major fault of the land to be. Because if the land spoke to me as a "non-fan", who knows, maybe I could have gotten more into it?

--Robb "Hope I've explained myself!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I understand where you're coming from, but those two points would seem to be pretty significant, especially the second one, no? I mean, it could be the most technologically advanced ride on the planet AND be themed to supermodels, pizza, sex, and sharks......but if it makes you sick, what's the point?

And that's pretty much why I consider it a "bad" ride. I don't know what the hell is going on with the "story," AND it makes me slightly nauseous. Therefore, I'll just stick to the butterbeer and pumpkin juice.