TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Where was Thunder Express at Dollywood?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it could be they aren't connecting it right now...I have talked to lots of people at the park (no one important, well everyone is special in their own way but still...) and they say the efforts of the park it to make it a loop and thats evident w/ the placements of the recent attractions as they keep going deeper and deeper in the woods!

Coasterdude, where did you get that Sat image? I can't seem to find any online of Dollywood.

Yeah, and with that picture, there is really less room that the yellow line shows between where Mystry Mine will be and the walkways at Tenn Tornado.

For those of you that take the annual Dollywood future attractions survey, word has it that is why the "snow themed" attraction/area keeps showing up. They apparently want to go up and over the mountain back there to connect the two valleys. They seem to believe the snow area would be an easy transition. (Ski Lift over the mountain.) I don't particularly like it myself.

On an OLD masterplan, they had wanted to extend Craftsman’s Valley up to the train turnaround...making the train have two stations. The Tornado is in the way now.

My hope is that Thunderhead Gap (and surroundings) extends to the turnaround, making the train connect both ends of the park. (Don't scream at me, but...) Lose the Blazing Fury and tunnel through the mountain to connect up to the Gap. I believe that MM is being installed as a BF replacement. (Like Daredevil Falls to Flooded Mine…same concept - bigger thrill). Only time will tell...

Alan

My hope is that Thunderhead Gap (and surroundings) extends to the turnaround, making the train connect both ends of the park. (Don't scream at me, but...) Lose the Blazing Fury and tunnel through the mountain to connect up to the Gap. I believe that MM is being installed as a BF replacement. (Like Daredevil Falls to Flooded Mine…same concept - bigger thrill). Only time will tell...

I agree that Mystery Mine is perhaps suspiciously a bit too much like Blazing Fury. Plus, all the rumors I've heard about connecting the two paths involved it happening "by Blazing Fury," and I can't really picture where that would be (with BF still there).

Also keep in mind that Blazing Fury is just a tad wild/violent at the end, and there was a lawsuit involving it fairly recently.

Of course, I'd hate to see it go, but that does seem to fit the pattern.

I dont see both rides being similar...one is a high speed thrill ride that has a main focus of a coaster and one is basically a dark ride that has a few drops but its main focus is a dark ride. I dont see blazing fury being taken out because it caters to families w/ kids and has a min height of 42 inches whereas mystery mine has intimidating over 90 degree drops and inversion that will scare away most families and with smaller kids, and a height min of 48 inches...and speeds almost 50 mph.

I agree with jarmor. I don't think Mystery Mine is a replacement for Blazing Fury. If you look at the satelite picture of the park from the last page, the two rides will still be over a ridge from each other.

My hope is that Thunderhead Gap (and surroundings) extends to the turnaround, making the train connect both ends of the park.

I'd rather the steam train stay in its current format. Turning it into a transporation ride just seems too amusement park-ish...it would be degrading to the park's beautiful RR equipment.

Plus, there is quite an incline between the the upper train loop and the new Mystery Mine. One of the train engineers said the elevation change between the upper loop and the valley floor is over 700 feet.

• 1 year later...

I don't think they will take out The Blazing Fury, it is a classic, and is also a great experience. It is one of the best rides there.

And I'm glad that they put TT where they did, it is a great ride and the drop just kind of comes out of nowhere and gives amazing airtime. Although I do wish they would have just moved the mine train to a different location, not that I have ever ridden it, however I have ridden it's counterpart at SFSTL.

I will hopefully be going back to Dollywood this summer as I haven't been since '01 or '02, I can't remember which year it was.

I think Blazing Fury is a great experience. The drops at the end are fun and surprising, but they aren't insane...

I know a lot of people whose first coaster was Blazing Fury, and they still think it is one of the most fun coasters they've ridden!