TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Does anyone do extreme or really cool sport?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kite-Surfing.

It's really hot fad going on in Hawaii now (not sure if it reached Cali-yet). But, it's similar to sailboarding with the exception that you have a kite to catch the wind. Now, mind you that I am not professional by any means, but it is fun to learn and experience it.

Ho'okipa Beach Park is best place to catch the action.

I surf! gotta love the long island waves.... anybody else here a surfer?

I'm still learning how to ride a skimboard which is basically "Diet Surfing."

Basically, things I like to do (which I don't always get the chance) are Paintball, Skateboarding, Skimboarding, and the most extreme sport of all: Driving in CA.

I used to do Quad Biking about 2 years ago, but the area we used to go to closed down and we had nowhere else to go. I was really pissed off. I loved my quad.

I have tried mountain biking a few times but never really got into it with all the huge jumps and all, but I love downhill mountain biking.

I don't know if it's extreme...but me and my friends often hold Go cart derbies...other times we play "Driver" like the game.....by high speed paint ball shoot outs in the go carts, two guys are the police and the others are the fugitives....extreme...don't know...crazy fun..sure is!

Kite-Surfing.

It's really hot fad going on in Hawaii now (not sure if it reached Cali-yet). But, it's similar to sailboarding with the exception that you have a kite to catch the wind. Now, mind you that I am not professional by any means, but it is fun to learn and experience it.

Ho'okipa Beach Park is best place to catch the action.

Kumba, any idea where kite-surfing truly originated? I can remember seeing some guys doing this in Fort Lauderdale maybe close to ten years ago if I remember right. I never stopped to chat with 'em but I can remember the funny looks they'd receive while trying the stuff out. I did some simple searches and it seems like it was a joint effort between some guys from Maui and Florida, but I'm curious if you know anything else? I'm thinking of trying this when I'm back home in October.

• 9 months later...

Sorry for reviving the topic, but this is only proving to the new guys that search does work. Anyway, on the topic of "extreme" sports, I posted a dead topic a while back about "Street Surfing" or Waveboards, which had some negative comments. Actually, it's quite fun, especially hitting up downhills as you feel like you're on a snowboard. The ride is just that smooth, and you drift to the sides. Lastly, I learned to ride the board sideways, as though it's powersliding down the hill.

Besides waveboards/street surfing, I just kinda got myself into longboarding (skateboarding, not surfing) as when I got to riding my regular board again, things are just way too rough. Does anyone else do longboarding here, whether you're downhilling or general cruising? Most likely, I'll be just cruising around, to and from work, and the occasional hill to try carving.

Again, sorry for reviving a dead topic (last July was the last it had life to it), I'm only keeping from duplicate topics happening.

Does anyone else do longboarding here, whether you're downhilling or general cruising?

Yeah, I longboard. There's not much around here for any decent downhill fun, So I mainly use it for cruising.

I've surfed for the past 4 years now. My board:

7'11 Nice to ride, very laid back. I do want to get something bigger, maybe 9ft - 9ft 6

I'm (slowly) teaching myself to skateboard. I can kind-of ollie and Casper (flip the board 180* so one foot is underneath, then jump, making it flip back to how it was originally while doing a 180* spin yourself)

Ever heard of a moshpit? I'm usually either 'floor-walking' (making sure everybody's safe, while putting your own life at risk. Just last friday I was elbowed in the face while floor walking a black metal band on my own. I'm supposed to have at least 2 others to help, but they buggered off. It turns out I have a broken nose... I was sooo pleased!) or participating.

Pits usually start off with a Wall of Death (2 groups of people run at each other praying to God they don't get hurt, which isn't unusual. Think of it as 'organized friendly fighting')

Moshpit:

Then there's the Circle Pit. Much safer than a moshpit (you can jump in the middle if you're out of breath), but if you fall, everyone else falls on you, mucho paino!

At The Download Festival (a metalhead festival, pretty much any genre from comedy metal (Tenacious D) through to Brutal Death Metal (Cannibal Corpse) DevilDriver want the biggest circle pit ever recorded. I'll be in it somewhere!

Circle pit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1pCUrivCA8

Lastly, I entertain kids as a job. Surely thats extreme!

The pits kinda resemble the movements of a Vekoma... I suppose the number I've been in must have toughened me up for a super-painful SLC or something... Maybe?

Does anyone else do longboarding here, whether you're downhilling or general cruising?

Yeah, I longboard. There's not much around here for any decent downhill fun, So I mainly use it for cruising.

I've surfed for the past 4 years now. My board:

7'11 Nice to ride, very laid back. I do want to get something bigger, maybe 9ft - 9ft 6

Nice boards...what brand? Today, I "bombed" my first hill as I rode home from work, which I have also done on my waveboard. I had attempted to carve but I got a nice face chopper as a building whizzed within a foot from me as I turned away from it. The waveboard was far more scarier though because you're on 2 wheels instead of 4, and they're on casters meaning you can end up going any direction.

Woah, some people in America actually play the grand sport of Cricket!!

I don't play it on a regular basis, just sometimes at squad (Swimming, duh!) we play Water Polo or Underwater Hockey. Pretty Extreme, huh. Lot of elbows in the faces though.

Also Skimboarding and Surfing are pretty fun and Extreme, as is Boogie Boarding