TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ride Reliability

I'm going to Cedar Point next week for the first time in years. I was wondering if I should expect any rides to have major down-time (like Deja Vu at Six Flags Parks) where I wouldn't be able to ride them on my visit. And for anyone who has been there in the past week or so, have all the coasters been up and running. Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cedar Point is usually very reliable.

I've not gone a whole lot [i think we've been on three seperate trips for a total of eight or nine days in the park], but of all of those times, the only ride that was closed for more than a few hours was Top Thrill Dragster.

So you should be fine.

Right now MF is down, but I am not sure for how long.

In my experience, this is your odds at Cedar Point.

Wicked Twister - 9 of 10

Top Thrill Dragster - 2 of 3

Millennium Force - 3 of 4

Most of the other coasters rarely ever miss a beat.

// Wow. What do these three have in common

Reliability shouldn't be an issue during your visit, unless one of the coasters has a major malfunction. (MF's cable lift breaks, Dragster has an ouchie, etc.) If one does have a breakdown, it will reopen quickly, as long as it's not a huge problem.

Barring that, the coasters should be open. Ops are really good, so the only big lines you'll have are on Mantis, MF, Dragster, and maybe Wicked Twister. (At least in my experience).

Right now MF is down, but I am not sure for how long.

I'm pretty sure it reopened a couple days ago actually, but yeah it's been down quite a bit this year.

All the other coasters at the park are very reliable, in fact the 3 Intamins are the only ones I can remember being down for mechanical reasons during any visit I've ever made there. Maxair and Skyhawk also tend to have some downtime as well, but they're hardly ever closed for the whole day.

Most unreliable ride in the park is actually the Sky Ride, it's only open like half the time because of the wind!

I just got back from the park today for my trip there and all the rides were open every day, and running all available trains. It started raining, but they kept the coasters open (except Top Thrill Dragster of course)...but they all closed once the thunder and lightning started. They waited around 10 or 15 minutes after the lightning stopped before they opened the coasters again, and waited for TTD to be dry (saw a couple of rollbacks when it was all wet). The park seemed pretty crowded, but never waited longer than 40 minutes for TTD and 30 for Millennium Force, most other coasters were walk-ons.

Ride TTD as soon as possible.

Since TTD has been open I have never seen it run without problems. It will tend to have random breakdowns through out the day.

Ride it early, and then laugh at the people lining up along the fence when it croaks later in the afternoon.

Thanks for the tips! My trip was great. Top Thrill Dragster had some random 15 minute brakedowns, and MF was stopped on the lift for about 5 minutes. Everything else worked fine. I should have a photo trip report as soon as I can figure out how to work my dads camera!

• 2 years later...

Wow ive never had that luck, the last time I went to CP TTD broke down for the night while I was in line (Kingda Ka also has broken down for the night when I was on line on two seperate occasions), then TTD broke down while we were in line again the next day. Maverick opened late and broke down at least 3 or 4 times while we were in line that night. Millennium Force also opened late that day and went down again while I was in line, Wicked Twister broke down when I was in line also.

This was very close to becoming a classic angry mob situation.

Ride TTD as soon as possible.

Since TTD has been open I have never seen it run without problems. It will tend to have random breakdowns through out the day.

Ride it early, and then laugh at the people lining up along the fence when it croaks later in the afternoon.

While somewhat true, every time I have been there, most breakdowns don't require the ride to close, 20-30 minute downtime max

CP rarely has issues with rides breaking down for long periods of time. However, I remember Maverick being down for five hours when I was there in June, 2007, but that was probably because it was still extremely new at the time and still had some bugs that needed to be worked out.

When I was at Cedar Point last month, I saw both Wicked Twister and Raptor broken down at some point in the day. I wasn't in line for either at the time, but I was at Demon Drop when Raptor reopened so there wasn't much of a wait.

Top Thrill Dragster didn't break down, but it rolled back four times while I was in line. I think it was because of the wind, but it may have been something else. Either way, it combined with them shutting the ride down to put a fifth train on the track led to a two hour wait.