TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Heide Park Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...

krake_logo_big.jpg.c1956dba1ecf7c0f26b062edbd9b138b.jpg

KRAKE: Attack of the giant octopus!

Coming to Heide Park in 2011 - A B&M Dive Machine!

The German amusement park Heide Park has benefited from its last opening weekend before the winter to formally present to the press its great new ride for 2011: a Diving Machine made by Bolliger & Mabillard, second of its kind in Europe and first in Germany.

In front of the park lake, the public was invited to listen a pirate storytelling about a terrible sea monster when, suddenly, one of the boats of the "Der Mississippi-Dampfe" ride has been attacked and virtually "destroyed" in a blaze of fireworks, before that the name KRAKE (means "octopus" in German) is unveiled.

With a total investment of 12 million euros, the thematic of KRAKE is focused around a giant octopus that has established itself in the new area "Bay of pirates" . The dark atmosphere will begin in the queue and visitors will be invited to challenge the monster, in a setting inspired by the theme of pirates and a ship destroyed.

The roller coaster layout itself:

- 476 meters long (1,532 feet)

- 41 meters high vertical drop (134 feet) which plunge into a pit (like Obålivion) representing the mouth of the octopus

- An underground passage and a splashdown

- An Immelmann

- A series of curves and a camelback.

Merlin Entertainments compliments B&M, with project manager Dirk Loppnow explaining they consider the swiss company as the "Ferrari of the roller coaster manufacturers". KRAKE is the largest investment made in Germany by the group, which opened recently in the United Kingdom Saw: The Ride at Thorpe Park and Th13teen at Alton Towers.

According to Merlin's artistic director, Candy Holland, KRAKE will go into the continuity of development already carried out at Heide Park in recent years with the Maya-Tal area and the Splash Battle Die Bucht der Totenkopfpiraten.

When asked "Why a Diving Machine?", Candy Holland replied with a smile "It's not just a Diving Machine, but a real experience that will be, for its passengers, not only physically but also mentally captivating. They will be like a pirate approaching the plank suspended above the mouth wide open of a terrifying sea monster".

She adds "With a first-class material and attention into the details of the theming, the ride will be unique in Europe, and it a pleasure to work on its design!"

The tracks represent the tentacles of the octopus, while the trains will be composed of 3 rows of 6 seats arranged like a staircase, allowing passengers seated in the back row to take advantage as much as others in the drop! Note that the trains will be the less wide in the world, other Diving Machine models offering a row of 8 or 10 seats.

Several technical details on the huge construction site (10,000 sqm) have also been revealed. KRAKE will require about 50,000 hours of work, 2000 cubic meters of reinforced concrete, 150,000 kilograms of steel rods (for ground works), 700 tons of steel (supports, tracks and structures) as well as thousands of screws, nails and nuts to fix all that! Several concrete blocks of 12 tons have already been used to construct the pool of water.

"Only the bravest will survive the attack of an octopus!" You have been warned!

To see the progress of construction, go to: http://www.heide-park-baublog.de

Source with Pictures: newsparcs.blogspot.com/

I think it will be the best Themed Dive Coaster even if the ride is so short I can't wait for the 2011 season

Some videos:

This is the announcement show where they actually destroyed their "Mississippi Boat" in front of the audience to make room for the new ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQLnLzdT8GM

And some Photos:

Krake_Saisonfinale1.thumb.jpg.53ac7131bbeafc01ede53a069458dcf9.jpg

The Krake announcement where they actually destroyed one of the parks old attractions!

krake_1.jpg.26c5eb1ae49f0cbcf00500a3829e7a05.jpg

The Mississippi boat on fire!

krake_2.jpg.b359216709bc30cc16e1f169086c8914.jpg

Out with the old...in with a Dive Machine!

krake_3.jpg.901382137c70ccc7a88edeb8c0b037d3.jpg

The aftermath.

krake_construction.jpg.bdf506da246c6d1655872503d300c639.jpg

Krake construction is underway!

Heide_Krake_const7.jpg.48263d5700cc6663c2a974857198c400.jpg

Heide_Krake_const8.jpg.c7dc9605ff962601ee6d0b2cebb9960d.jpg

http://themeparkreview.com/upd_images/1288644489_4.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

3*6 seating seems a bit silly imo. I mean, it's only 2 more seats than Oblivion/G5 and the trains will take up more room in the station and brake block. And from what I've seen of POVs of the big dive machines the pause at the top of the drop is a bit lost in the 3rd row.

After all B&M went to the extent of making the Griffon trains floorless in order to accommodate 10 abreast. Thinking about it this will be B&M's 5th design of dive machine train already (2*8, 3*8, 3*10 floorless, 3*8 floorless, 3*6).

I suppose maybe it's more economical if they are using narrower/standard guage track (is that confirmed?)

3*6 seating seems a bit silly imo. I mean, it's only 2 more seats than Oblivion/G5 and the trains will take up more room in the station and brake block. And from what I've seen of POVs of the big dive machines the pause at the top of the drop is a bit lost in the 3rd row.

After all B&M went to the extent of making the Griffon trains floorless in order to accommodate 10 abreast. Thinking about it this will be B&M's 5th design of dive machine train already (2*8, 3*8, 3*10 floorless, 3*8 floorless, 3*6).

I suppose maybe it's more economical if they are using narrower/standard guage track (is that confirmed?)

Actually, the pause isnt "lost" being in the 3rd row. You are hanging as well as the other 2 rows. As a matter of fact I feel the 3rd row gives the better ride. And all dive machines dont have the exact same station so you cant really say one train will take up more space based on the station of another dive machine, besides we are talking about an extra 5-7ft lenth wise for the extra row. I also dont think the floorless trains are connected to the 10 across seating. Remember sheikra also was converted to being floorless and it has 8 seats. Im not trying to be mean but I think you are thinking about this whole train thing too much lol. I feel B&M are offering different train seating arrangements/style for the dive coaster to give its potential client more options. This is about money and some parks dont need a 10 across train.

I also dont think the floorless trains are connected to the 10 across seating. Remember sheikra also was converted to being floorless and it has 8 seats. Im not trying to be mean but I think you are thinking about this whole train thing too much lol. I feel B&M are offering different train seating arrangements/style for the dive coaster to give its potential client more options. This is about money and some parks dont need a 10 across train.

From the IntimidaTour this year, we got a backstage walk around Griffon and our guide specifically mentioned that the trains were too heavy for 10-across seating. The solution was to make them floorless.

The tracks represent the tentacles of the octopus, while the trains will be composed of 3 rows of 6 seats arranged like a staircase, allowing passengers seated in the back row to take advantage as much as others in the drop! Note that the trains will be the less wide in the world, other Diving Machine models offering a row of 8 or 10 seats.

Ha! Called it!

I think the narrow trains are to make the mouth of the octopus smaller and more terrifying. Seriously, if you make a circular mouth big enough for a 10-across train, you'll be able to see way too much in the hole.

By using a narrow train, you can make that hole much smaller and darker and it will intensify the illusion.

Case in point: Oblivion's dive into the misty cave was never a big deal for me, but that tiny little black dot that you pass through on Gold Reef City's Tower of Terror.... OMFG. I always thought it was too small for the car to make it.