TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

Any chance this could be an up-charge ride to help with potential capacity issues?

Giant Drop at Dreamworld tends to suffer capacity issues...I kind of wonder if it would be possible to make the drop car more akin to this: http://www.zamperla.com/en/product/103/sky-drop.html?category_id=8

Obviously the cantilevered seats would need to be pretty strong, but its a means of getting around only being able to use the sides of the tower.

Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces

LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom

The World’s Tallest Vertical Drop Ride!

Another one for the history books, Six Flags Magic Mountain, in partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products and DC Entertainment, announced today the world’s tallest vertical drop ride, LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom, will make its debut for the 2012 season. Named after one of DC Comics’ most dangerously intelligent super-villains and Superman’s greatest enemy,

LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom will be an engineering phenomenon, attached to both sides of the iconic SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton tower. Soaring at a sky-scraping 400 feet,

LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom is slated for a spring 2012 launch.

Fearless riders will be seated inside floorless gondolas on two vertical tracks flanking each side of the SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton tower. Passengers on the gondolas will be pulled to the top of the tower, experience a brief pause before being released and dropped at speeds of up to 85 miles-per-hour. After five seconds of freefall, the gondola will be stopped by a sophisticated magnetic braking system just a few feet from the ground.

“Six Flags is known world-wide as the industry leader in delivering world-class thrills, and

Six Flags Magic Mountain is proud to be at the head of the pack, offering guests the biggest and the best,” said Bonnie Rabjohn, Six Flags Magic Mountain Park President. “We are excited to add another world record to our collection of record-breaking, first-on-the-planet attractions.”

Changing Magic Mountain’s legendary skyline, LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom will offer riders breathtaking panoramic views as they are lifted to the top of the tallest vertical drop ride ever built. Sitting eight abreast, riders will plummet 40 stories at an extreme speed before coming to a stop, all while the SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton cars are blasted to the top of the same structure.

“Six Flags Magic Mountain continues to deliver powerful thrills to our guests year after year,” said Jim Reid-Anderson, Chairman, President and CEO of Six Flags Entertainment Corporation.

“LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom is a tremendous addition and brings a new dimension of excitement to the park’s already remarkable collection of thrill rides.”

LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom is being manufactured exclusively for Six Flags Magic Mountain by Intamin AG of Switzerland.

Source:

http://news.sixflags.com/2012news/2011/08/26/lexluthordropofdoom/

DropOfDoom01_300dpi_10x12.thumb.jpg.5efa7ce82e49579a6f61d065a5845519.jpg

DropOfDoom02_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.2d46ce29d386e8ab140c5a9705a14a76.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Oh my god. That looks awesome! But SFMM is getting too much stuff, they're probably not gonna get another new thing for years after building this...

Getting too much stuff....not getting another new thing for years?

Don't be too sure of that!

The new CEO did say he wants a new attraction at every park every year.

Edited by Tmcdllr

415 FEET IS VERY HIGH LOL!

This is the perfect addition!! I really like the fact that they are building it on the side of Superman - The Escape. It makes it that much more awesome. The side-by-side themes (Lex Luthor VS Superman) are a great concept. I can't wait to try it out even though I'll be SO scared on the way to the top.. It will totally be worth it I'm sure! Hahaha 415feet drop tower... I still can't believe it LOL...!!! AWESOME!!!