TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

What is the height of Goliath's second hill (That giant turnaround thing)

Im guessing its somewhere between 170-205 feet. But the train has to climb at least 215 feet to reach the top of it...I think... am I right?

This has always puzzled me. Lol.

Using some basic math and estimations...The total height is 235 feet, forget the tunnel. Therefore we know from pictures that the max height of the second hill is just slightly less than 235', factor in friction etc, I'm assuming 30 or so feet shorter then the original 235 feet. Now we got about 205 feet. From Pictures we can tell there is about a 10' decline in the turn around, although the drop and banking is consistent, its hard to tell where the "turn-around" ends and the drop begins. Factor in the 3 feet or so of footings at the bottom, I would guess 180-190 is a solid estimation.

I bet that SFMM got the idea of running cars backwards on Superman at WCB 2010 during the Q&A session. I remember when Tim Burkhart read a question card aloud that said "Would it be possible to run Superman backwards?". Then he said "I am not even going to answer that". Maybe that is what got SFMM the idea of retheming Superman and running cars facing backwards.

I'm sure the reason he wasn't going to answer that is because it was already in the planning stages. There is no way the new backwards trains would have been designed and in operation this soon. Remember, the one in Australia opened in what, September? That's 6 months after WCB. Not possible.

^Actually if I remember correctly there were already STRONG rumors of Australia's turning backwards around the time of WCB and that is why that question was asked! It was more to throw them off and see what they would say. Judging from the reaction to the question we all then pretty much knew it was confirmed that SFMM's Superman was also going to get the backwards treatment. Go back through all of Robb's TR's and you'll see he was trying to tell you guys this for a year!

^Actually if I remember correctly there were already STRONG rumors of Australia's turning backwards around the time of WCB and that is why that question was asked! It was more to throw them off and see what they would say. Judging from the reaction to the question we all then pretty much knew it was confirmed that SFMM's Superman was also going to get the backwards treatment. Go back through all of Robb's TR's and you'll see he was trying to tell you guys this for a year!

I hadn't heard those rumors before ... interesting. As I recall, I was pretty out of it for WCB 2010 (had a bad cold) so I must have missed his reaction.

What is the height of Goliath's second hill (That giant turnaround thing)

Im guessing its somewhere between 170-205 feet. But the train has to climb at least 215 feet to reach the top of it...I think... am I right?

This has always puzzled me. Lol.

Using some basic math and estimations...The total height is 235 feet, forget the tunnel. Therefore we know from pictures that the max height of the second hill is just slightly less than 235', factor in friction etc, I'm assuming 30 or so feet shorter then the original 235 feet. Now we got about 205 feet. From Pictures we can tell there is about a 10' decline in the turn around, although the drop and banking is consistent, its hard to tell where the "turn-around" ends and the drop begins. Factor in the 3 feet or so of footings at the bottom, I would guess 180-190 is a solid estimation.

I think the turnaround is more like...part of the drop. Even then it's not minus 10 feet to the hill, the height of the hill is its height. Thats what I want lol. So more in the range 199-203 feet?

The sad thing about the new Superman for me, is that even though I live in Australia, I'll probably ride the SFMM version before the Australian Dreamworld version Tower of Terror. I haven't been to Dreamworld since 2003, but they've been very stubborn when it comes to adding decent attractions. I guess I've been too spoiled with so many great parks on TPR tours.

I think it's a huge improvement for Superman, far preferable to the forwards launch IMO. I remember riding Tower of Terror last in 2003 - in my coaster-impoverished, pre-credit whoring days - thinking this would be so much better if you were face down on the drop.

Although these new additions are wonderful, I still think SFMM (and California for that matter), needs much more ejector airtime. I'd never even heard the term "airtime" until I first visited US parks outside of California and Florida.

Although these new additions are wonderful, I still think SFMM (and California for that matter), needs much more ejector airtime. I'd never even heard the term "airtime" until I first visited US parks outside of California and Florida.

This is truth.

Due to living in California, I didn't realize how great airtime could be until I got mega-floater on all the hills of Diamondback and a few on Millennium Force and ejector air on Maverick's death hill and Magnum's bunny hops.

We are really missing out here in California. Ghostrider has/used to have a good pop off the MCBR, Goliath has one floater hill, and Terminator has a couple good spots. But overall, I think we are really missing out on a serious airtime machine here in California.

^At least someone is able to get airtime on Millenium Force.......I tried and couldn't find it

Really?

On both the hills traversing onto the island there was some for me. And I got some on the hill beside the station.

I guess people have varied rides on Millenium Force. I rode it this last season and happened to think it was amazing.

sfmm31.jpg

I'm very curious to see that the changes are when Superman comes Back. Words cannot contain my excitement!

OK think I found it!

Really?

On both the hills traversing onto the island there was some for me. And I got some on the hill beside the station.

I guess people have varied rides on Millenium Force. I rode it this last season and happened to think it was amazing.

Its a great ride don't get me wrong.......it's just the airtime wasn't there at the same time I was.

sfmm31.jpg

I'm very curious to see that the changes are when Superman comes Back. Words cannot contain my excitement!

OK think I found it!

Really?

Its a great ride don't get me wrong.......it's just the airtime wasn't there at the same time I was.

Man I was a moment too late...

When I first went to CP in 2003 MF had great air on the two big hills and the fly past the queue, but I have to say on my last visit in 2007 it was just crawling over the hills.

But the lack of airtime at SFMM needs to addressed, we need action. Though it would be hard for SFMM to add a coaster type that yields great airtime - they already have a hyper and two woodies. Two of those coasters (Goliath and Terminator Salivation/Apolocalypse/Whatever) have many qualities but not great amounts of airtime. Maybe a Maverick style coaster with lots of bunny hills among it's elements could be the answer, get to it Six Flags. I am being tongue in cheek but I'd happy if they added an ejector airtime monster.

Edited by downunder

"I'm very curious to see that the changes are when Superman comes Back. Words cannot contain my excitement! "

I think that was the other clue. Am I right, Robb? The word Back with a capitol B says it all!

Close...but it's right there in front of you!