TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Parents in the Santa Clarita Valley use season passes as cheap babysitters. I've long said that the pass should be more expensive considering what you get. Even the Xtreme Pass is underpriced---only $125 and it includes everything the regular pass does PLUS free parking, 25% off of most food and merchandise, and a Flash Pass discount. They could easily bump it up to $150-$200 and it would still be a deal.

I mentioned this to Jay Thomas once, and he told me, "I like your thinking." All of the Six Flags season passes are way underpriced in my opinion.

Eric

Yeah, lets tell them to increase pass prices so we can pay more for the same thing!

To me it seems that the only traffic that has increased is the amount of teenagers and other low-spending guests. I don't have any official statistics or anything like that, but to me it seems like they're catering more and more to people who don't spend hardly any money in the park - a bad thing.

I'm sorry, I love this line that announces teenagers don't spend money in the park. Which teenagers are you talking about?

Teenagers spend money, their parents give it to them or they have jobs. Have you seen the groups of teenagers walking around in $200-$250 jeans? Not only that, they've had to pay $15 a car to park. Many of them are walking around with $13 Souviner Bottles in each of their hands, they buy $20 souvenir photos and $15 burger combos, $10 funnel cakes, and play numerous games in the price range of $5 to $10. What family walking around with 7 years olds is going to spend $10 on a 1 minute basketball game?

If the park ended up increasing Pass and Ticket Prices I think there would be a substantial decrease in the attendance. Six Flags knows this, they have a marketing and research department. There is not enough in terms of substance at their parks to charge Disney-like prices for tickets and passes.

^^ some people would complain if they were being hung with a new rope.

I rather enjoy the value I get for the price paid at SF. It encourages me to spend more in the park especially as often as I've visited their parks this year. Normally, I'll buy a souvenir or the likes to go along with a snack or meal, but at the current SP price level I'll splurge from time to time on a flash pass, a ride photo, or some other something that I wouldn't normally do.

Edited by chadster

I probably agree most with Chadster on this issue that the current pricing allows parkgoers to spend the cash they saved at the gate on souveniers or other memorabilia they woundn't have normally bought. I see alot more people buying ride photos for Silver Bullet and Tatsu than I do for Space Mountain and Tower of Terror...

^^I wonder if that would be the same case if they stopped people taking pictures of the pictures at Disney...

I'm sorry, I love this line that announces teenagers don't spend money in the park. Which teenagers are you talking about?

Teenagers spend money, their parents give it to them or they have jobs. Have you seen the groups of teenagers walking around in $200-$250 jeans? Not only that, they've had to pay $15 a car to park. Many of them are walking around with $13 Souviner Bottles in each of their hands, they buy $20 souvenir photos and $15 burger combos, $10 funnel cakes, and play numerous games in the price range of $5 to $10. What family walking around with 7 years olds is going to spend $10 on a 1 minute basketball game?

If the park ended up increasing Pass and Ticket Prices I think there would be a substantial decrease in the attendance. Six Flags knows this, they have a marketing and research department. There is not enough in terms of substance at their parks to charge Disney-like prices for tickets and passes.

This might come as a shock to you, but teenagers are actually the lowest spending subset of the general population at theme parks. Mommy and pappy got a lot more dough then teenagers do.

And I'm not saying Disney-like prices, nor am I complaining that they are too low. All I'm trying to say is it's my own personal belief that Six Flags undersells their season passes. I would actually like to see Magic Mountain perform better, not worse and I believe that if they raised gate prices and lowered parking and food prices people would have a better experience and be more likely to come back.

I'll say it one more time just to clarify, it's my own personal freaking opinion. This is the Magic Mountain Discussion Thread, I'm just discussing.

-Brandon "I really love how everyone is complaining about people complaining. It's a bit ironic eh?" Tisor

I guess it's a good thing they got alot of the tower painted with this rain we just got , hope it doesn't delay them to long. Then again this is So. Cal it'll probably be 90* tomorrow LOL

I also wished how that one park said the new B&M was only going to have one inversion or something like that, I wish SFMM was doing the same thing to us and Green Lantern turned out to be a megalite

I know concept art is not 100% but in the videos of S:EFK they show a different type of station has anyone been to the park and notice any changes going on with the Fortress of Salutude station? or will just the back of the station be themed since now you can see it on the return?

^I think at this point anything can happen. I'd personally like to see something akin to Terminator Salvation's preshows, but have the videos on a loop. They could be projected on various crystals and depict either Kal-El himself or his father explain why we're on Krypton in the first place and why we have to escape.

Just a thought

Went to the park today and it was empty. Got some shots of the new Superman paint job because I thought there'd be a few on here that would be interested. Got 6 rides in 2 hours, a chilly but great day at the park!

From Riddlers Revenge:

Closer shot:

All photos taken were with permission from ride operators.

From Gotham

From behind

Gotta say the paint really looks great! I hope the sign gets lit up, and it looks in the renderings like it may be moved to the front? That would be cool!

Wow, that does look pretty nice - I'm quite impressed.

In reference to moving the sign to the 'front', you mean the opposite side, right? So you'd be able to see it from the station? If so, I would have to disagree.. With the sign's current placement, you can see it from the freeway.. which is simply awesome, and is also good for attracting people to SFMM.

^Agreed. It's an understatement to say "what a difference a paintjob makes". Even without the reversed cars it looks so much better. It's also nice to life getting put into such a forgotten attraction. Still, I can dream of a Kingda Ka Klone out here on the west coast. I can dream, can't I?