TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2205 - Opening Day Photo TR!

Great report. It is so wonderful to see the park operating again. I believe the final count was 384 days of closure...

Given how quickly the park turned around and reopened after the Governor released new guidelines, they should be applauded. I'm sure things will only get smoother from here on out.

• Like 3
  • Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jew

• ebl

• robbalvey

• Tmcdllr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tells someone to keep politics out of it. Procedes to add politics. Typical 😄   As for SFMM, they're going to follow what is required by the state... At least on paper. So your sho

Swung by the park for a few hours to see how things would be in the covid world, and I have to say that magic mountain did a pretty good job. For those wondering, it appears the only checks for r

You must be new around here if you think I’m a “boot licker” for SFMM. 😂 I’m just someone who realizes covid enforcement is a joke everywhere now and understands that if you chose to go somewhere

Posted Images

Finally went yesterday, on Saturday. I had no choice but to get a flash pass if I wanted to get on all the rides, which that alone was a 50 minute wait. The park was really crowded. Lines were long everywhere. Rides were constantly breaking down. If you came in after 12pm, and you were in the regular line, you must of have been absolutely miserable. Not only were lines moving slow, but they would alternate between the flash pass line and the regular line.

I can't believe i'm going to say this, but summer time with no capacity limit, had faster lines than covid at 15% capacity. If you plan to go on a Saturday, except summer experience. About 1-2hr wait for Fully Throttle, West Coast racers, Goliath, and Twisted Colossus. Tatsu probably 30min-1hr.  The flash pass line for Twisted Colossus and Full Throttle was about 20-30min. 

I was also there on Saturday, and I'll add that basically nothing had lines at all for about the first 2 hours of the park opening.  My advice is, if possible, get there early (we arrived at 10am for a 10:30 park opening, and was already greeted with a logjam of about 50 cars waiting to get in), and leave early, around 1 or 2pm.  Which also allows you to skip having to eat lunch in the park and suffer the food lines.

But yeah, if you don't have Flash Pass/Membership FOL passes after about 1pm, you're not going to get on much other than flat rides.  And even the line to get a Flash Pass/FOL at 2pm was insanely long. 

At this point, I don't see any reason to even come after 2-3pm, unless you just want to walk around, or it's a weekday in the off-season.  Especially since the rides are still pretty temperamental and go down often.

On a side note, if you did continue your membership payments during the pandemic, you can go to either the Membership desk or Guest Relations, and they can give you the new upgraded Diamond Elite VIP card, which is spiffy.  Gets you FOUR ride passes, which came in super handy (although you can still not get them for Superman, X2, WCR, or Crazanity).  We used them to still get on to TC, FT, and Goliath with no wait when they all had huge standby lines (we opted not to use the last pass, as it was getting late--we gave it away).  Also FYI, you can still use your old Diamond Elite card to get the four passes if you qualify... the new card is just for looks.  We got our four passes before we did the exchange for the new card.

So, basically SFMM is currently like CP/KI/Hershey/SFGAdv/<insert major US park of your choice> last summer.  Why are people surprised? 

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

So, basically SFMM is currently like CP/KI/Hershey/SFGAdv/<insert major US park of your choice> last summer.  Why are people surprised? 

I don't think anyone is surprised. In fact, I think the general consensus is this is still a very impressive start for Magic Mountain. Things could have gone significantly worse. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Yes, because literally everyone in SoCal has been traveling to those parks during a pandemic.  Oh, wait--

Plus, a lot of people (include many here at this board) had serious doubts SFMM could make this work at all, especially as literally the first park in SoCal to open in over a year (even beating Disneyland).

19 hours ago, ryder said:

Yes, because literally everyone in SoCal has been traveling to those parks during a pandemic.  Oh, wait--

Plus, a lot of people (include many here at this board) had serious doubts SFMM could make this work at all, especially as literally the first park in SoCal to open in over a year (even beating Disneyland).

Everyone in SoCal (and the rest of the country) had the same opportunity to travel to parks that weren't shutdown as anyone else.  I don't think Newsom was exiling those who left the state (but it wouldn't surprise me if he was).

Skimming back through the past few pages here didn't give me the impression that there were "serious doubts"...Six Flags is owning pandemic operations everywhere else, there's no reason to imagine it would be different there.  The only doom and gloom came from Californians, who, pardon my stereotyping, tend to have somewhat of a "we're special compared to everyone else" attitude.

EDIT:  Look, I'm not trying to be argumentative.  I just think that Californians are making a much bigger deal out of this than they should.  The companies figured out how to operate in a pandemic last summer, there's no new special magic that needed to be applied here.

• Like 3

I'm heading to the park tomorrow for my 10:45 reservation and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on places to sit in the park that are quiet and have wifi/cell service? I have a zoom class from 11:30-12:45 and would like to take advantage of the first hour of the park without needing to leave.

I was thinking maybe by Green Lantern potentially? The DC area has been pretty dead but I would love some suggestions!

out of all the trip reports, videos, and chats i've had with people that have gone, the one good thing is they all think superman might actually go 100mph now.  thanks to some parts from Dreamworld.  lol

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, coasterlvr said:

out of all the trip reports, videos, and chats i've had with people that have gone, the one good thing is they all think superman might actually go 100mph now.  thanks to some parts from Dreamworld.  lol

Probably not 100, but close. It's going higher than I ever remembering it going since it went backwards.

1 hour ago, coasterlvr said:

Hopefully non-Californians will be allowed to visit before it starts slowing down again.

1 minute ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Hopefully non-Californians will be allowed to visit before it starts slowing down again.

Um...no one there is checking.

Did they get Crazanity up and running yet?  I heard Batrman was closed because they are giving it a paint job.

16 minutes ago, tanthonyam said:

Did they get Crazanity up and running yet?  I heard Batrman was closed because they are giving it a paint job.

i've only seen that jet stream opened today.

2 hours ago, tndank said:

Um...no one there is checking.

That's hardly a reason to violate the state, county, and the park's own rules.  Just have a little more patience.

1 hour ago, tanthonyam said:

I wonder if CraZanity is closed due to concerns about guests keeping their masks on.  The one ride type that has routinely been difficult to keep my mask on has been these giant frisbees because of how the wind hits your face at a variety of angles.  The mask has never come close to blowing away, but it will always slide down to my chin on this type of ride unless I actively hold it up during the ride.  Wasn't there a statement in the California reopening guidelines that some rides may have to shut down if they would be hard to keep masks on for?

• Like 1

Either that or they broke it while cycling it for the Christmas event?

Also, it’s just common sense to avoid a park on a weekend if you can. It’s hardly shocking to imagine long lines when it’s a weekend AND rides are forced to be loaded half full.

Went yesterday (Monday). Arrived around 1pm. Parking attendant scanned our pass for parking and scanned our reservation but the time was irrelevant. Took about 20 minutes to get parked in the very back overflow lot (because most of the regular lot is still being used for vaccination distribution). After the 5-7,000 step walk to the front gate, we got in fairly easily. Love the new metal detectors that allow you to keep everything in your pockets.

Park was super crowded. 1-2 hour lines for everything. Multiple trains running on all the coasters but skipping rows and sanitizing between every few cycles. Inexplicably loading 1 row per car on Goliath and Gold Rusher instead of just skipping every other row (cutting the already-cut capacity by an extra 40%). No activity at CraZanity.

Food lines were insane. The line for the drink/snack stand by Tatsu's entrance stretched all the way past the game area. (Just an observation--I didn't wait in it.)

Saw people waiting in what must've been hour+ lines for Member Services, Flash Pass, and Guest Relations. In fact, the line at the Flash Pass center was about 50 people deep at closing... no idea what that was about.

All this to say...it was basically exactly the experience we were expecting but it's really nice having the park open again and hopefully this will drive Six Flags' revenue through the roof.

X2 is still insane and awesome.

DDA75878-4C5F-4379-B216-CC53128BD7F2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 4/5/2021 at 9:31 PM, Canobie Coaster said:

I wonder if CraZanity is closed due to concerns about guests keeping their masks on.  The one ride type that has routinely been difficult to keep my mask on has been these giant frisbees because of how the wind hits your face at a variety of angles.  The mask has never come close to blowing away, but it will always slide down to my chin on this type of ride unless I actively hold it up during the ride.  Wasn't there a statement in the California reopening guidelines that some rides may have to shut down if they would be hard to keep masks on for?

My mask slid down my nose on every single ride. However on Riddler's Revenge, my mask almost flew right off. It was hanging on by one ear. I had to hold my mask in my hand the rest of the ride otherwise it would have flown away. 

At this point, I would think that most parks are willing to provide guests with a new mask if it gets lost while on a ride.

I received an email back in September that if I kept paying that I would be upgraded from Gold to Gold Plus permanently and Platinum until the end of 2022.  I didn't pause my membership.  I was upgraded from Gold to the Gold Plus, but not the Platinum.  Did this happen to anyone else?  I asked at the park and they said Gold Plus is all I get.  Member chat wouldn't upgrade me past Gold Plus either.

"Jason,

Thank you for being a Six Flags Member -- you truly are one of our most valued guests. These are difficult times, and we know COVID-19 virus has caused many challenges for everyone. Six Flags has created an environment where you can feel safe, introducing new ways to operate to promote social distancing, maximize sanitization, and reduce crowds.

Given the situation with COVID-19, we want to ensure you have the flexibility you need with your Membership this year; therefore, we are offering you two options so you can choose what best suits you.

Option #1: Keep your Membership active and receive a free upgrade to Platinum until the end of 2022. ...."

1 hour ago, SoCalJasonland said:

I received an email back in September that if I kept paying that I would be upgraded from Gold to Gold Plus permanently and Platinum until the end of 2022.  I didn't pause my membership.  I was upgraded from Gold to the Gold Plus, but not the Platinum.  Did this happen to anyone else?  I asked at the park and they said Gold Plus is all I get.  Member chat wouldn't upgrade me past Gold Plus either.

"Jason,

Thank you for being a Six Flags Member -- you truly are one of our most valued guests. These are difficult times, and we know COVID-19 virus has caused many challenges for everyone. Six Flags has created an environment where you can feel safe, introducing new ways to operate to promote social distancing, maximize sanitization, and reduce crowds.

Given the situation with COVID-19, we want to ensure you have the flexibility you need with your Membership this year; therefore, we are offering you two options so you can choose what best suits you.

Option #1: Keep your Membership active and receive a free upgrade to Platinum until the end of 2022. ...."

hmm, i'm in the same situation.  had a cheap gold membership and was upgraded to gold plus.  i see the email from september you are talking about.   mine doesn't mention being a gold plus at all in the email.  for me, i'm happy with gold plus, but will definitely have emails ready and question it when i go to the park.

Busy on a Monday?  Isn't Spring Break over there  yet? 

I heard they are making people walk a mile to get in, not offering the trams or buses they had before.

26 minutes ago, tanthonyam said:

Busy on a Monday?  Isn't Spring Break over there  yet?

There's a lot of different school districts out here, and they all take Spring Break at different times---some before Easter, some after.  So yeah, I can imagine there's still quite a few people on Spring Break.