TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

This could be a nice year for Magic Mountain and Knott's if a lot of schools don't go back in the fall and the amusement parks are allowed to reopen in June.

• Replies 54.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jew

• ebl

• robbalvey

• Tmcdllr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Saturday 11/21, Theme Park Review was invited to see the Six Flags Magic Mountain Holiday in the Park Drive-thru Experience. It’s rare for park patrons to get to drive through a theme park, so this

There are other jobs available.  Not even close to a fair comparison.  And I’m someone who is a causality of this nonsense. The rational argument you should be making is how if the goal is to kee

I received an email from Knott's today asking Californians to help reopen the parks by messaging the governor.  It took me only a couple of minutes to copy and paste some stuff, so it is super easy, a

Posted Images

The kids are not exactly excused from school... there would still be distance learning happening, and many teachers are requiring live zoom meetings and whatnot. While I'm sure a fair number don't participate, they are often taking care of family or working, so I don't necessarily think massive numbers of kids will be free.

Do you think Hurricane Harbor will open this year?

Doing SFMM during California's summer is brutal. I get heat headaches and puke.

I find that doing HH during the day and then walking over to MM around 6pm works perfect for me.

They are allowing public pools to re-open because chlorine naturally kills the virus. I can see water parks re-opening when amusement parks do.

^ I live in Phoenix, Arizona and the governor has given pools / water parks the approval to open a week or so ago. There is even a 6 Flags water park here that they purchased last year. My point is, no water park has yet to open. The only water attraction is the tubing place on the Salt river in Tempe near ASU. Just assuming water parks will just open is a BIG ASSUMPTION! It's not just the chlorine issue, trust me.

Either way it doesn't effect me. I don't do water rides even when they're open.

Our local water park here in Las Vegas, Cowabunga Bay, is opening today and I know water parks in other states have already opened. Six Flags may open their water parks before the amusement parks open, but I'm guessing they will probably wait and open them at the same time.

^ I live in Phoenix, Arizona and the governor has given pools / water parks the approval to open a week or so ago. There is even a 6 Flags water park here that they purchased last year. My point is, no water park has yet to open. The only water attraction is the tubing place on the Salt river in Tempe near ASU. Just assuming water parks will just open is a BIG ASSUMPTION! It's not just the chlorine issue, trust me.

Either way it doesn't effect me. I don't do water rides even when they're open.

Water parks and amusement parks are both late stage 3 in Califronia, and we are already in early stage 3 in most counties. I guess it is all up to Six Flags to determine if they want to meet the safety requirements, and have enough demand and staffing to open both the amusement and water parks.

I honestly couldn't care less about water parks, but I know lots of people like them. I mostly like how they draw away crowds from the dry park on super hot days, so I hope HH opens.

I honestly couldn't care less about water parks, but I know lots of people like them. I mostly like how they draw away crowds from the dry park on super hot days, so I hope HH opens.

The 50-year-old man in me states "I have to walk around barefoot on hot concrete and climb steps to the top of all those towers to sit in chlorinated pisswater for a 30-second ride?"

When I was 13 to 15 years old though, it was "Dude, but there are girls in hot bikinis walking around the water park. We can just stand there, hit on 'em and play Dig Dug in the arcade. Then sit at the bottom of the speed slides to wait for a bathing suit top to come off. Then you head over to the wave pool after the wash cycle and put on your swim googles to look for floating dollar bills or locker keys on the bottom of the pool to return for deposits. Ahhh, part of the 80s at a water park.

I guess water parks have their age of attraction.

Today is the park's 49th birthday. Here's a quarantine salute to 49 more.

tenor.gif?itemid=12228532

• 1 month later...

^ Great views of the park and really made me sad. Lot's of rides missing: Batman, Scream, Full Throttle, Riddler etc. I'm really missing that place now...

• 3 weeks later...

Isn’t the 2021 ride announcements in August? I’m surprised we have not heard one way or the other if this was scrapped. (Either rumors or news)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’ll probably just re-release the 2020 announcement video with the year adjusted.

Everyone was joking about SFMM and Frontier City strategically being excluded from the 2020 announcement video... welp, looks like everyone is in the same boat now.

In all seriousness, I can see most parks advertising their unopened 2020 rides for 2021 (Jersey Devil, Aquaman, many of the flats and water park attractions), but I could still possibly see SFMM announce their 2021 raptor still since they had nothing coming this year anyway (kinda interesting how the timing worked out for that). But I also wouldn't be surprised if that got pushed to 2022 or later.

Overall I am expecting this announcement season to be pretty dry, like it was when 2017 attractions were announced.

Nope. Every day has been a ghost town.

but I could still possibly see SFMM announce their 2021 raptor still since they had nothing coming this year anyway (kinda interesting how the timing worked out for that).

Ironically SFMM was one of the only parks to open a new-for-2020 ride, although that was just because of how delayed West Coast Racers was.

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely a surreal feeling running and maintaining empty coasters just to keep the wheels turning and the rides functional.

No light at the end of the tunnel yet. Last date I heard kicked around the ops office was October 4 but... don't quote me.

For your safety and the safety of others, please keep your seat belt fastened and your head against the headrest... we will have you moving again as soon as possible

All parks in CA are currently at the mercy of the State. They have yet to release reopening guidelines.

It's definitely a surreal feeling running and maintaining empty coasters just to keep the wheels turning and the rides functional.

No light at the end of the tunnel yet. Last date I heard kicked around the ops office was October 4 but... don't quote me.

For your safety and the safety of others, please keep your seat belt fastened and your head against the headrest... we will have you moving again as soon as possible

As long as you get to daily test everything, I will feel safer:-)