TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 2201: The West Coast Customs Cruis’n the Park Car Show

Even worse, employees don't get any holiday pay at all.

This December 25th will be the first time the park has been open on Christmas day (that I know of) and quite a few supervisors and managers are already expecting there to be massive callouts. Should make for an interesting day...

If I'm on schedule I shall be there as I been there done that Christmas day stuff. It will be drop dead slow early but should pickup around 2 as people look for crapola to do. And the park is open until 9pm. Maybe I could do a give away of a comp ticket on that day if I have any left.

• Replies 55k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jew

• ebl

• robbalvey

• Tmcdllr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Saturday 11/21, Theme Park Review was invited to see the Six Flags Magic Mountain Holiday in the Park Drive-thru Experience. It’s rare for park patrons to get to drive through a theme park, so this

There are other jobs available.  Not even close to a fair comparison.  And I’m someone who is a causality of this nonsense. The rational argument you should be making is how if the goal is to kee

^I think this is a joke, referencing the actual, man made lake that used to reside in the front of the park.    https://denniscooperblog.com/back-from-the-dead-theme-park-map-day/

Posted Images

This December 25th will be the first time the park has been open on Christmas day (that I know of) and quite a few supervisors and managers are already expecting there to be massive callouts. Should make for an interesting day...

Holiday pay isn't a thing? Maybe I'm wrong but I could swear I got time and a half when I worked on Thanksgiving. Then again it has been like 15 years since I worked at the park, so it's completely possible I'm wrong.

Holiday pay isn't a thing? Maybe I'm wrong but I could swear I got time and a half when I worked on Thanksgiving. Then again it has been like 15 years since I worked at the park, so it's completely possible I'm wrong.

Nope! Maybe it was a while ago, but not anymore. It's the only theme park in the LA area that doesn't pay holiday pay.*

*The only hourly employees at Magic Mountain that holiday pay are the full time union maintenance workers. Even the non full time union workers don't get it.

I just recently got back from my Columbus Day Weekend trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain. All the coasters were running like I remembered, and Riddler's Revenge was a new credit to me, as it was still being re-painted during my last visit. I still haven't ridden Apocalypse yet, however, because of the construction... maybe the third visit I'll finally get the credit? Anyways, Riddler's Revenge was awesome. I was pleasantly surprised especially after the last couple Stand-Ups I've ridden. I didn't ride Goliath though because of how horrible and slow the operations were. The longest I waited was 75 minutes to get one of the last rides of the night on Tatsu.

I was there the night of the SpaceX launch and took a few pics of it as well. Very trippy to see, and, at first, it was hard to wrap your head around what you were looking at.

IMG_0098.thumb.jpeg.c29468641dea45dc6fe0c2978476313d.jpeg

SpaceX over SFMM

SFMM really upped their game this year over last year's haunt. I took a ton of pics and will try to post them soon, but Condemned was a notable step up in quality.

Anyone else having problems getting the reserved parking vouchers. I'm trying to reserve parking for tomorrow (10/12) and everything goes through and I'm confirmed. I go to print the voucher and it shows "Reservation Error #1: Unable to find confirmation voucher", even though I have a confirmed reservation. I just ended up canceling the reservation since I have nothing to show at the park.

Anyone else having problems getting the reserved parking vouchers. I'm trying to reserve parking for tomorrow (10/12) and everything goes through and I'm confirmed. I go to print the voucher and it shows "Reservation Error #1: Unable to find confirmation voucher", even though I have a confirmed reservation. I just ended up canceling the reservation since I have nothing to show at the park.

I haven't bothered using it yet because you have to do it by 5am, and usually when I go it's kind of a spur of the moment thing

Would anyone be down to go to the park on Saturday? I flew into LAX this evening and was supposed to go with someone who lives in the area, but he cancelled on me last minute. I am staying at the Double Tree by Hilton in Culver City - 6161 W. Centinela Ave. If anyone could go and would be willing to pick me up in the morning outside the hotel that'd be great and would mean a lot to me. I was hoping to leave a little before 9. My intention of flying down was to process my 2019 season pass at the park, so I can get the gold upgrade. By the way, I also won two free tickets earlier this year and brought those with me, so admission would be free. Lastly, I can be reached by phone as well. My # is (650) 787-4572. Thanks. *I would be wearing a Polo t-shirt.*

What color polo shirt?

At the park to process the pass and have some fun... We are counting Superman, ninja, revolution, apocalypse, lantern, lex Luther, viper all down. Justice league opened half way thru the day. Yeesh! Half the coaster line up!

Would anyone be down to go to the park on Saturday? I flew into LAX this evening and was supposed to go with someone who lives in the area, but he cancelled on me last minute. I am staying at the Double Tree by Hilton in Culver City - 6161 W. Centinela Ave. If anyone could go and would be willing to pick me up in the morning outside the hotel that'd be great and would mean a lot to me. I was hoping to leave a little before 9. My intention of flying down was to process my 2019 season pass at the park, so I can get the gold upgrade. By the way, I also won two free tickets earlier this year and brought those with me, so admission would be free. Lastly, I can be reached by phone as well. My # is (650) 787-4572. Thanks. *I would be wearing a Polo t-shirt.*

Dang, what an awesome meet up that would've been! I'da helped if I saw your message and was in the area. I'm 5 hours away. Sorry your +1 flaked.

I hate when that happens. Hope you went anyway. An X2 ride would have been a MUST RIDE.

Here's a trip report for this past Saturday. I did Crazanity for the first time and thought it had incredible speed and weightlessness. I thought it was a bit better than the comparable ride Wonder Woman at Discovery Kingdom. Lex Luthor was down until 4 something in the afternoon because of an issue with the tower. The New Revolution didn't open until later in the day, while Superman was down all day. While waiting in line for Tatsu at night, the ride experienced a delay in operations.

^I agree. I went to Fright Fest for the first time on Sunday and was really impressed. The mazes were way higher quality than I was expecting and the crowds were much smaller than Knott's.

^I agree. I went to Fright Fest for the first time on Sunday and was really impressed. The mazes were way higher quality than I was expecting and the crowds were much smaller than Knott's.

Six Flags Magic Mountain's Fright Fest operates on a tick tock capex cycle, pretty much mirroring their ride capital expansion plans. One year is a big investment year and the next year isn't.

You happened upon Fright Fest on a good year. This is the first year the park has had real capital money for Fright Fest since 2014. Granted 2016 was supposed to be a big year with Aftermath 2, but the maze went wildly overbudget, wasn't completed, and flopped. Thankfully the Suicide Squad promotion via Warner Brothers was greenlit at the last minute.

This year saw a significant improvement in mazes which really elevates the event. Two new high budget mazes replaced Toyz of Terror (Condamned) and Dead End (Sewer of Souls). Vault 666 got a reskin for a movie tie in (Hell Fest) and they also added new scare zone in Metropolis for the second year in a row. It also saw the removal of Chupacabra (finally).

The issue remains however that next year will (most likely) have a limited budget so there will be nothing notably improved for the event until 2020. When you're operating on a biannual investment cycle and that big investment misfires (Aftermath) it leads to stagnation for a few years. Unfortunately in a market that has two of the biggest and most well known Halloween events in the U.S. and plenty of other well done scares, it's hard to stay relevant. I really hope the park finally considers making Fright Fest a separate ticketed event in the future to drive more revenue and actually justify a bigger budget, there's just so much potential...

Yeah, it seems like they didn't put too much effort into aftermath this year. Might be time to retire it (for a few years at least) and bring something else new for next year. The new "scare zone" (The shadows?) Is also pretty lame, kind of a shame as that space is pretty dark and the could of done a lot more with it. Hopefully with the opening of West Coast Racers we'll see some improvements to fright fest in that corner of the park.

My experience was related specifically to SFMM, but others post online with similar concerns for the "Membership Program" in general.

! DO NOT BUY SIX FLAGS MEMBERSHIP ONLINE !

I bought 5 of them almost 3 years ago.

You have to continue for the full 12 months paying each month, and then it renews month to month with a minimum 2 week cancellation notice. I was okay with that.

We went 2 or three times during the first year.

After the first year, I went to the "Membership Portal" to cancel. It was difficult... you needed your original receipt and you needed to register accounts for each card (5 in my case) before you could cancel. So, I thought... it is only $36 per month... maybe we will go back soon.

Fast forward to August of 2018 or almost $1000 later. I got serious about canceling. I stepped through a number of hoops and was told by the "Membership Portal" that I would get an email with the details I needed to submit my cancellation request. No email ever came. Add to this that my card on the membership EXPIRED about this time... but they just grabbed the new expiration date and KEPT ON BILLING!

I thought.. ok we have not been back in a long time, but maybe we can go around the first of October and after a last day.. we will cancel in person.

We did not get the chance to do that, so today I got serious.

I submitted the request again... no email.

I registered more accounts and suddenly, no cancellation option in my menu.

I clicked chat with agent... "No agents are available at this time."

I checked my bank statement and got the billing phone number and called it. I got a recording about park hours and if you have season pass questions, visit the website at....

So I filed charge disputes with my bank and a complaint with the BBB of Los Angeles.

I liked Six Flags before this, but now I will never visit again, and I am on a mission to help get the word out that you can get hooked. This is especially sad since people who mostly get burned by this are just looking to help their kids have a good time.

Shame on you Six Flags.

You happened upon Fright Fest on a good year. This is the first year the park has had real capital money for Fright Fest since 2014. Granted 2016 was supposed to be a big year with Aftermath 2, but the maze went wildly overbudget, wasn't completed, and flopped. Thankfully the Suicide Squad promotion via Warner Brothers was greenlit at the last minute.

I really enjoyed Aftermath 2 when it was launched. I just don't think Six Flags realized how much working with a creative firm actually costs (same company that did Dark Harbor). This year it very much was an afterthought.

I really enjoyed Aftermath 2 when it was launched. I just don't think Six Flags realized how much working with a creative firm actually costs (same company that did Dark Harbor). This year it very much was an afterthought.

This was not the first foray into using a vendor for mazes at the park though, Willoughby's, Red's Revenge, and Vault 666 were all contracted mazes in the past.

The main issue that kneecapped Aftermath 2 was the construction of the old Batman stunt show sets at the new site. The park had to file city permits (and had issues with misdocumentation) to level out the ground slope and pour the foundations for the set pieces. The combination of the permitting issues and pouring the concrete late cascaded into the project being very late and wildly over budget. Also, MyCoToo really dropped the ball and didn't deliver on scenic items either...

This year the maze was practically an afterthought as originally the entire new area for West Coast Racers was supposed to be closed and there were initial talks of not having Aftermath operate for the year. However due to the loss of Chupacabra it was decided that the park couldn't justify contracting the event further. Aftermath has also dealt with staffing issues as well ever since it opened and the maze needs A LOT of staffing, which the park has continuously struggled with.

Overall though I think the park and Entertainment team really did learn some lessons from Aftermath 2 and we're seeing that in the well done execution of the 2.5 new mazes this year.