TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Scream isn’t even rough. Riddler is.

Scream and Riddler both tend to be smoother in the front. Scream's main rough spot, for me, is the beginning of the cobra roll. The whole train rattles like crazy at that point. Riddler slams your head into the restraints at a few points, as well.

BTW, Screamscape seems to think the park may be getting a Time Traveler style Mack spinner. But the way you keep using the word ginormous makes me think more of a Tatsu like investment.

" While a giant Dive Machine is still possible, another rumor has surfaced this time around, claiming that the park may be eyeballing the Mack Rides built Time Machine coaster opening at Silver Dollar City in 2018, that will feature a vertical dive, launches and most importantly... spinning cars... something that SFMM has yet to add to their lineup".

I personally can't see that happening, since Knott's already has one.

While I don't know what the park DOES have planned, I'd like to see them install another woodie. With the RMC conversion of Colossus, Apocalypse is the only true wooden coaster in the park. But this park doesn't seem to have much success with woodies, so I doubt that this will happen.

^ Yeah I'd be surprised if SFMM ever builds a wood coaster again, and despite the MASSIVE popularity of El Toro, SF never invested in another one.

The Mack spinner was just early rumors from Screamscape. I don't see that happening either. Maybe a T-Rex?

Edited by Manic Monte

Here's hoping that's its big and loud and right on the park boundary just to piss off the new neighbors.

I am legitimately curious as to how long it will be after people move in that complaints are made about noise coming from an amusement park that they chose to live next to. Hopefully, the park wouldn't be forced to change their operations to accommodate any whiners.

The park can’t keep the one wooden coaster that they have open with any regularity as it is. The last thing they need is another one.

I have read speculation that a reason for this is the intense dryness of the desert causes the wood to age faster than if it was in a wetter place. Maybe this is why the structure looks bleached far faster than a similar ride elsewhere, where there is water.

Here's hoping that's its big and loud and right on the park boundary just to piss off the new neighbors.

I am legitimately curious as to how long it will be after people move in that complaints are made about noise coming from an amusement park that they chose to live next to. Hopefully, the park wouldn't be forced to change their operations to accommodate any whiners.

I’m not specifically familiar with California law, but in general, parties do have a tougher time suing for public nuisance (for noise, for instance) when the alleged nuisance existed prior to the plaintiff’s arrival on the scene. If this development does really go through and homes are built right up to the property line, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before someone gives it a shot with a suit though.

I certainly don't need a giga, I feel super tall coasters, with the possible exception of Millenium Force, are pretty overrated. I'd love either an El Toro or Maverick styled ride. SFMM needs a long, "bucking bronco" styled ride.

If you ask me, despite the public popularity of Full Throttle, given all the land they had to work with, that ride was a waste of space that could've been much better used.

I'd also even be happy with a Mad Mouse and/or El Loco. I know they're not really record breakers, but it's something else the park is missing in terms of balance of coaster thrills.

Regarding Apocalypse...Think of a roller coaster as a giant version of your backyard wooden deck. It still has to be properly maintained in order to last. Pressure treated wood can withstand moisture better, but it's still susceptible to all the other elements. And since the forces of a roller coaster are about 1000x the forces your backyard deck will experience, there is a lot of maintenance that has to be done. Once you fall behind, it's already too late.

I certainly don't need a giga, I feel super tall coasters, with the possible exception of Millenium Force, are pretty overrated.

Fury and I305 would like a word with you

And it's even funnier because the one giga he stated is literally the only one considered largely overrated by a big chunk of the community lol

I'd love to see an El Toro in the park (or on the west coast for that matter), but I just can't see SFMM 1) spending that type of money and 2) committing to maintaining another wooden coaster. I think a T-Rex is actually quite plausible though.

So Apocalypse actually has a sprinkler system attached to the ride and it gets watered down for, no joke, about an hour every night. That's actually why the structure is so white. The fact that they just did some retracking last year and they're still having this many problems with the ride is indeed telling...

I do hope though that the ginormous investment going around the back of the park actually does end up being a nice, long ride that is more than a one trick pony. This park has enough of that already.

Edited by MagicMountainMan

So Apocalypse actually has a sprinkler system attached to the ride and it gets watered down for, no joke, about an hour every night. That's actually why the structure is so white. The fact that they just did some retracking last year and they're still having this many problems with the ride is indeed telling...

I do hope though that the ginormous investment going around the back of the park actually does end up being a nice, long ride that is more than a one trick pony. This park has enough of that already.

That makes no sense. Perhaps it is a treatment?

Sure, it does. The L.A. / Santa Clarita area has very hard water, and the bleached look is from the leftover minerals in the water. Anything that gets sprayed regularly with local water eventually turns white.

I know I’m gonna get a lot of hate for this but if you want quality experience go to Disneyland. If you want crazy fast rides and a lot of them go to Magic Mountain. Additionally I’m sure they would be willing to give you the same level of quality if they charged the same amount for annual passes as Disneyland. It is one of the best applications of the phrase “you get what you pay for.” I do think the premium level memberships are a step in the right direction though to offer a better experience for those that are willing to pay more without driving away or crowding out the value-oriented guests.

What SFMM needs much more than a new ride is a complete and total overhaul of operational standards, hiring practices and quality of guest experience.

Dude, it's 2018! You've been asking for this since at least 2006, and some of us since 2001. Are you going to be 70 years old still wishing and hoping? Time to give it up and just go enjoy coasters.

I know I’m gonna get a lot of hate for this but if you want quality experience go to Disneyland. If you want crazy fast rides and a lot of them go to Magic Mountain. Additionally I’m sure they would be willing to give you the same level of quality if they charged the same amount for annual passes as Disneyland. It is one of the best applications of the phrase “you get what you pay for.” I do think the premium level memberships are a step in the right direction though to offer a better experience for those that are willing to pay more without driving away or crowding out the value-oriented guests.

Totally agree!

I go to SFMM frequently because it's dirt cheap and they have awesome coasters. If I want anything more, I'm glad Knott's and Disney are nearby.

I certainly don't need a giga, I feel super tall coasters, with the possible exception of Millenium Force, are pretty overrated.

Fury and I305 would like a word with you

I will give you those two. My remarks are mostly in response to numerous people on this board who think a giga is the answer to all their dreams. It's not necessarily.

And while TC is a bit of a "bucking bronco" style, it does suffer from a massive buzz kill right in the middle of the ride just when things get going called "the second lift hill". While I enjoy the ride as a whole, what I'd really like to see is a ride with crazy laterals, length, and virtual non-stop action/no brake run. On that front, El Toro and Maverick deliver. And I'll grant Fury and I305 do as well, though I like the fact the other two can do it without the height, which make them even more surprising.

Let's think about which rides at SFMM are the longest in terms of not having a massive brake or lift hill in the middle. Going off memory, Tatsu, X2, Riddler, Apocalypse, Ninja, Scream, and sort of Revolution. Fine rides, mostly, but nothing in comparison to non-stop, WTF is going on, rides given by Maverick or El Toro (Tatsu and X2 being the closest--but they're both gimmicky--with Apocalypse maybe in the running if it was actually smooth again).

And say what you will, but so does MF. If you dislike other aspects about it, that's your opinion, but the speed, duration, and lack of brakes still makes it a great ride to me. If your opinion differs, so be it.

From what I've been told, it's to help the wood retain moisture. I don't have much of a clue about construction and types of wood and whatever so it doesn't make too much sense, but I kid you not, they water the entire ride. Whenever it opens again, take a look to your left once you get into the first showroom. Water always pools there when it's been watered the previous night.

Dude, it's 2018! You've been asking for this since at least 2006, and some of us since 2001. Are you going to be 70 years old still wishing and hoping? Time to give it up and just go enjoy coasters.

Nope, sorry. There's much more to a theme park than coasters. For better or worse SFMM is my home park. In the late 80s/early 90s, it was actually a pretty respectable place. There was a dolphin show, a lazer light show, a functioning bank, a train, a monorail, some great flat rides, and of course the big rides. I'd like to see the park get back to that level again someday, even it takes until I'm 70 or above to happen. Until then I'll be wishing and hoping as you say.