TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2228 - Wonder Woman Flight of Courage REAL POV!

Plus, we're challenging you to visit every day for 365 Days of Thrills. The Season Pass Holder who visits the park the most in 2018 will receive an “All-In 2019 Season Pass.” Don't miss out, buy your Season Pass now.
I wonder if that just means free, or if not then what "All-In" means. Interesting contest though. Someone who lives nearby with a gold pass could probably accomplish that pretty easily.

^ Wow. 5 of the parks major coasters, 5 flat rides and an upcharge attraction are open. I understand staffing and refurbishments are issues with year-round operation, but why announce and commit to it if most of your major rides are going to be closed? Couldn't they rotate which rides are taken out of service?

Just my 2 cents.

^ Wow. 5 of the parks major coasters, 5 flat rides and an upcharge attraction are open. I understand staffing and refurbishments are issues with year-round operation, but why announce and commit to it if most of your major rides are going to be closed? Couldn't they rotate which rides are taken out of service?

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah I mean I get Goliath is down uplanned mx, and Green Lantern is down long term, so those don't really count, but especially considering no staffing is needed for those rides, at least Tatsu and X2 should be running if possible.

Wow. That does unfortunately look like it's probably a staffing issue since basically everything between Viper and DC Universe is closed (except a couple upcharge attractions and the bumper cars), including up on top of the hill. And pretty much everything on the other half that's not expected to be closed is open with the exception of Scream. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the weekdays before spring break are.

Edit: Looks like a few more staff members showed up. Riddler, Gold Rusher, and Justice League are now open. Ninja too.

Superman's closure actually is weather-related. It can't operate when it's wet, and the park always waits several days after any rain before reopening it. When HITP was going on, I believe they had Apocalypse closed during the week, as well. I'm surprised about X2, Tatsu, and Scream being closed, though.

I'll probably stop by the park for a few hours tomorrow afternoon; I'm curious to see if those rides are still closed tomorrow.

Honestly, though, I'm just glad to have the park open with a few coasters operating during the week, so I can stop by on my way home.

Superman's closure actually is weather-related. It can't operate when it's wet, and the park always waits several days after any rain before reopening it.

That's a mega bummer. Definitely not the case with the sister Intamin reverse free fall in Australia.

Superman's closure actually is weather-related. It can't operate when it's wet, and the park always waits several days after any rain before reopening it.

That's a mega bummer. Definitely not the case with the sister Intamin reverse free fall in Australia.

What about the rain causes Superman not to operate in the rain as opposed to Tower of Terror?

Wow. That does unfortunately look like it's probably a staffing issue since basically everything between Viper and DC Universe is closed (except a couple upcharge attractions and the bumper cars), including up on top of the hill. And pretty much everything on the other half that's not expected to be closed is open with the exception of Scream. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the weekdays before spring break are.

Edit: Looks like a few more staff members showed up. Riddler, Gold Rusher, and Justice League are now open. Ninja too.

I was wondering if this move to 365 days of operation signaled a change in their staffing procedures. Guess I have my answer!

What about the rain causes Superman not to operate in the rain as opposed to Tower of Terror?

The moisture interferes with the ride's sensors, which causes it to brake prematurely. Since the ride consists of a launch, a second of weightlessness, and then a brake run, there's no point in opening the ride when it won't launch properly. (Source: my brother, who is a ride op on SEFK).

I've noticed Full Throttle has this same problem. I've visited the park on a few rainy days, and it was always closed. One time, it began testing a few hours after the rain stopped, but the ride would brake the train halfway through the launch, which caused it to barely reach the loop. It ended up not opening that day.

Just saw a Crazanity update on greatamericancoasters.org, one thing to note, Sand Blasters is behind a construction fence and demolition on the giant ugly wall barrier is now starting. But interestingly, the fence is also covering Scrambler, yet no plans for any sort of refresh was included for that in the press release or concept art (while the space between the 2 rides would definitely be big enough to have Scrambler run during the Sand Blasters overhaul). Anyone else think that Magic Mountain has decided to give Scrambler a fresh coat of paint and some upgrades to not be an eyesore with Beach Boardwalk?!

I read on Screamscape that the Boardwalk area is closed for the 2018 construction. Being that I am not familiar with the park, with this area being closed are you still able to traverse the park in a full loop, or can you only get to the back of the park one way during construction. I'm just curious.

Stopped by the park for a little bit today. I mean, I can honestly say that from an enthusiast POV it's so great to be able to stop by the park whenever and grab a couple of rides weekend crowd free!

That is literally their marketing pitch. Heard on Kevin and bean this morning. Great for us. Probably not so good for their business. I have a feeling someday we’ll learn what the real reason for daily operations was: tax credit? Accounting trick (make it look like a massive loss to hide profit)? A requirement of a deal they made somewhere? I just can’t fathom how they will turn any sort of profit on this, but kudos to them for giving it a go.

Making it easier for me to ride the good rides and leave even quicker is a win in my book.

Great for us. Probably not so good for their business.

This is really the first "offseason" week, and Queue-Times says otherwise. At one point yesterday, New Revolution posted a 50 minute wait (this obviously dissipated later on). Many rides have been around 20 the last few days. Even assuming one train operations (which may or may not be the case), those are nice numbers. The park doesn't seem "crowded", but there seem to be plenty of people there.

I stopped by for a little while yesterday evening, as well. It was a ghost town. All the coasters were open, with the exceptions of Superman, Goliath, and Green Lantern. Despite what the app said, Riddler and Apocalypse were both open. Everything was running one train, but that was all that was needed. I never waited more than 2 minutes for any ride.

One major bummer that I noticed was that both ColdStones are gone. I can't say I'm too surprised, given that I've never seen long lines at either place, while the funnel cake place directly across the midway was always packed. But it was nice to be able to sneak into the one near Apocalypse and get a cup of ice cream on the dining pass.

cs1.thumb.jpg.59a4d4d8263a5da95b0fd1c3cd19e47e.jpg

cs2.thumb.jpg.78a4f869c266010fb0d342b04f5b9f21.jpg