TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It really has been surprisingly quiet in regards any new ride or attraction... But the new Revolution announcement also wasn't really leaked ahead of time either. Usually the big projects leak or they start surveying which gives it away. I'd like to believe that this next year will be a year of a nice flat ride, but with the park in panic mode after a relatively weak summer who knows what will happen... It makes announcements exciting!

• Replies 54.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jew

• ebl

• robbalvey

• Tmcdllr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are other jobs available.  Not even close to a fair comparison.  And I’m someone who is a causality of this nonsense. The rational argument you should be making is how if the goal is to kee

Fun fact: "stanky tunnel" is a hip new synonym for "budget"

It's beyond time for California parks to open. Bars, restaurants, malls, and gyms are back open, all of which are more prone to spreading virus than outdoor theme parks with reduced capacity. 

Posted Images

[4b] Is X2 usually up-and-running right from the get go?

The quick answer is not usually. X2 has a habit of being slow to open, sometimes 15-30 mins after the park. It also is very sensitive to rain and wind and will close quickly with just a bit of either. Watch the track before you're entering the park and watch/listen for trains being test cycled. If you don't see any trains cycling before the park opens, it won't open immediately. If you have the free FP ride with the platinum, just hit it later and start with something sure to be open.

It kinda pisses me off how many restrictions that SFMM has on their FPs. I understand limiting reservations on new rides like Justice League or terrible capacity rides like Superman, but there's no reason to limit reservations on rides like FT, TC, or X2. When I got FL Plus at CP, there were no limits on how many times I could ride Maverick, Valravn, TTD, MF, etc.
I'm not sure you really do understand, because TC and X2 are both limited due to capacity (and/or popularity in X2's case - it could probably take unrestricted FP if it were average popularity, but it's always popular) and TC is limited because it's the newest major coaster, and I think a large # of FP riders might affect the operators' ability to keep the trains dueling...I'm not sure as I've never FP'd that ride and can't recall where FP joins the que)

And also regarding X2, it used to be upcharge & reservation for platinum only, then it was $+res for Gold+, now they've made a free one time res for Platinum - they're certainly trying. In a park we all love to rip on for operations I'm for giving credit where I think it's due.

It really has been surprisingly quiet in regards any new ride or attraction... But the new Revolution announcement also wasn't really leaked ahead of time either. Usually the big projects leak or they start surveying which gives it away. I'd like to believe that this next year will be a year of a nice flat ride, but with the park in panic mode after a relatively weak summer who knows what will happen... It makes announcements exciting!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it will be a flat, probably the same Giant Discovery SFDK got. Could be a really great addition.

I have some questions about the flash pass. [1] If you purchase the flash pass in advance online, how long do you typically have to wait to pick it up once you get to the park? [2] When does the flash pass center open? [3] If you get the platinum level, do you still have to make a time reservation for the rides you want to do? [4] Is the $15 upcharge worth it on X2? [4a] If not, should you run to it first? [4b] Is X2 usually up-and-running right from the get go? [5] If you wanted to sit in the front for Tatsu and Goliath (for example), would they let you? [6] For a group of three of four, can each person have their own flash pass device? [7] Lastly, what does single reservation mean? Thanks a lot.

I'll try to answer these for you:

1) There is a separate line for people who've purchased the FP online, so the wait should be minimal to pick it up (5-10 minutes). I've noticed this summer that there have been FP reps in the entrance plaza, so you may be able to pick it up before the park opens.

2) The FP center opens with the park and stays open after park closing time.

3) You don't have to make reservations for a specific time, but you still have to reserve each ride. With the Platinum FP, the ride reservation is typically available right away or within 5-10 minutes. The thing to do is make your next ride reservation as soon as you get scanned in for your current ride.

4) There is no longer an upcharge for X2 on the Platinum FP, you get a one-time reservation now. It's still an upcharge on Gold.

4b) X2 is generally open with the park, but it's easy to tell if it's not. If a ride goes down, you can cancel your reservation for that ride and pick something else, then reserve that ride again later when it opens back up.

5) There are no seating restrictions for the FP, so yes you can sit in the front rows if you want.

6) Each person can have their own FP device, but you would have to pay for each one separately. If you're going to stay together the whole day, it's easier to just have one device for the whole group.

7) Single reservation means you only get one reservation on the FP and once you use it, it's gone. For example, you get a single reservation for Fu11 Throttle and if you want to ride it again, you would have to wait in the normal line. For rides like Tatsu and Goliath, you can reserve them as much as you want as there are no limits on those rides. It kinda pisses me off how many restrictions that SFMM has on their FPs. I understand limiting reservations on new rides like Justice League or terrible capacity rides like Superman, but there's no reason to limit reservations on rides like FT, TC, or X2. When I got FL Plus at CP, there were no limits on how many times I could ride Maverick, Valravn, TTD, MF, etc.

4b) Prior to making your ride reservation will you know if a ride is down?

7) Is single ride (Superman) the same as single reservation?

Thanks.

Thanks.

If it's down for the day or long term, the FP office will tell you. They probably won't know if it's just going to be late opening.

Single ride is the same as single reservation. The only ride that used to literally make reservations as in you had to schedule it at the beginning of the day was X2, but I heard they don't do that anymore, you can just show up whatever time you want once per day.

Thanks.

If a ride is down, then it won't let you make a reservation for it. When rides come back online your qbot buzzes to let you know. And yes, single ride does mean single reservation.

X2 has decent capacity when running two trains but it's still extremely popular, so you may have any argument for limiting FPs (although Gold should get a free reservation too, IMO). But TC is two years old and almost always runs three trains, so the capacity argument doesn't hold water. It almost always has shorter lines than Tatsu, yet Tatsu is unlimited on the FP and TC is still limited to a single reservation. You just don't get the same value out of the FPs at SFMM that you do at SFGAm/SFGAdv or any of the CF parks.

Knott's Berry Farm just announced a Gerstlauer Infinity Dive Coaster for 2018. It will be the first and only dive coaster on the West Coast. Six Flags Magic Mountain better step up their game for next year!

With the things Cedar Fair announced today, the entire Six Flags chain better step up! I think they will, it'll be good if they start trying to one-up each other again.

Why start now?

With the things Cedar Fair announced today, the entire Six Flags chain better step up! I think they will, it'll be good if they start trying to one-up each other again.

Why start now?

Because their attendance and season pass sales may depend on it!

Unless they just announced a price hike in their season passes, they'll probably be fine. Their low investment, high returns strategy seems to be working for them.

Unless they just announced a price hike in their season passes, they'll probably be fine. Their low investment, high returns strategy seems to be working for them.

True. But I get the feeling that strategy isn't going to work much longer at a hard core thrill park like SFMM, especially with the competition in the area.

True. But I get the feeling that strategy isn't going to work much longer at a hard core thrill park like SFMM, especially with the competition in the area.

I agree that it'll probably catch up with them. They'll eventually run out of expenses to cut and (hopefully) start re-investing to stay relevant.

If you want to renew your Gold Pass and get the best deal, can you do it and activate it online during the annual Flash Sale? If yes, will you be able to still hold on to your current Gold Pass next year with the changes made? Also, if you're the only one in your party with a Gold Pass and waiting in the Gold Pass early entrance line, will everyone else with you still be allowed in early? (Last year, it wasn't a problem for me; I was just checking to see if that's typical.) Thanks.

If you're the only one in your party with a Gold Pass and waiting in the Gold Pass early entrance line, will everyone else with you still be allowed in early? (Last year, it wasn't a problem for me; I was just checking to see if that's typical.) Thanks.

You're not supposed to, but if it's just one or two people they might make an exception if you ask nicely and quietly. If it's a large party they will probably say no.

There is competition in the area but SFMM doesn't really compete with it. They're the coaster park of the SoCal market. That's what they've chosen to be.

There is competition in the area but SFMM doesn't really compete with it. They're the coaster park of the SoCal market. That's what they've chosen to be.

I think what he means is that with KBF restoring Ghost Rider into the amazing ride it now is and adding a dive coaster in addition to their Accelerator and B&M Invert, SFMM may have more coasters, but may no longer be the only park in Southern California you consider when thinking thrill coasters - especially when you consider KBF has so much more to offer than coasters. It used to be KBF is a better park but SFMM has the thrill rides, now KBF has both, SFMM just has more thrill rides.

Took a trip to the park today with family visiting from out of town. Since a number of schools were back in session, the place was fairly dead. The only hefty wait was, inexplicably, Riddler’s Revenge whose line spilled out of the main building and into the switchbacks (I haven’t seen that happen for some time). Apocalypse was down all day, but everything else was running as normal (except Justice League, which had to be unplugged and plugged back in a couple of times while we waited inside). Scream was running better than usual; Viper seemed extra punishing. Ride ops on Full Thröttle and Colossus were as fantastic as ever (two complete duels on our one ride!); ride ops on Goliath, Justice League, Batman, Ninja, Tatsu, and X2, less so (restraint-checker apathy levels were off the charts today). Superman was launching both sides almost at the same time, but only the left side was hitting the usual heights. Hideous VR was broken so we actually got to enjoy Revolution as nature intended it. Our Jet Stream boat had (no kidding) about 6" of water in it from the moment we climbed in (we hoped it would drain on the lift; it didn't). When we returned to the station, I pointed it out to the ride op and he said "yeah, I guess we should pull that one out."

I’ve ridden the SFOT version of Justice League, and this one’s somewhat different (this was my first time trying it). The sets appeared more elaborate (projections on the crashing truck etc.), and I don’t recall the Texas version spinning as much as this one does. The first half has some good detail and nice practical sets, and the second half makes an admirable use of immersive screens. With that said, the ride’s just a step up from the Knott’s video-game ride to me, with dodgy graphics/gameplay etc. It may be the result of the technical problems the ride was having while we waited in the pre-ride rooms, but several effects didn’t seem to do much, the fog projection lacked fog, and there was an “And the winner is . . .” announcement at the end that failed to announce any winners. Having already ridden another model, I knew what to expect but this version didn’t exactly win me over. Then again, I'm not the target audience for such a ride. I think if you love Justice League characters (and especially enjoy shooting them with lasers), it'll probably rock your world. I'm a huge dark ride fan, but much prefer traditional ghost trains and whatnot.

Are the pre-ride rooms supposed to do something? The first one was just a weird CGI animation. The second was just a stationary robot thing in a case that we just walked right past. My guess is that there’s more to them than that and that the ride’s reboot screwed them up. Last, I don’t know if it’s a problem of positioning, but the ride really kind of just looks like a white warehouse on concrete with a facade and some portable switchbacks. It didn’t seem quite finished, but maybe it’s a space that’ll see more use as a plaza for entertainment in the future? Anyhow, glad I got to check it out, but I think the air conditioning was my favorite part overall.

Anyhow, a decent day, and a good time to visit right now it seems.

I think what he means is that with KBF restoring Ghost Rider into the amazing ride it now is and adding a dive coaster in addition to their Accelerator and B&M Invert, SFMM may have more coasters, but may no longer be the only park in Southern California you consider when thinking thrill coasters - especially when you consider KBF has so much more to offer than coasters. It used to be KBF is a better park but SFMM has the thrill rides, now KBF has both, SFMM just has more thrill rides.

Right. Also, although the SFMM and Knotts don't directly compete, both parks do compete for media coverage and need it to drive season pass sales for the next year.

From Screamscape...

- New Attraction - Rumor - (8/21/17) So what's coming to Six Flags Magic Mountain for 2018? I've heard a couple of interesting rumors, though neither are going to make the coaster lovers out there very happy. According to one rumor, which I'm not very sure about myself, this source believes that SFMM might get a special king-sized version of a Larson Super Loop style ride.

The other rumor, which I have to admit sounds a bit more like something SFMM would do, is to install a new world's record breaking ride in the form of the world's tallest Star Flyer. Currently I believe the world's tallest is the Sky Screamer at Six Flags New England which opened in 2014 at a height of just over 400 feet tall, just stealing away the previous record from the Sky Screamer at Six Flags over Texas installed the year before at 400 feet. So if this latest rumor is true, you can expect one just a bit taller to go into Six Flags Magic Mountain for 2018, and while I don't know the exact location where it may go, we did get a rumor claiming that it just might go somewhere up on the park's central mountain, not far from the Sky Tower, which would actually make the ride seem even taller.

Maybe a new flat, and the park's 20th coaster? Sounds awesome.

Maybe a new flat, and the park's 20th coaster? Sounds awesome.

Obviously, they're saving their 20th Coaster for 2020. It's going to be an Intamin Dive Coaster that's 20 stories high, has 20 vertical drops, 20 inversions, 20 airtime moments, breaks 20 records you've never heard of, and sprawls across 20 acres.

Either that or an off-the-shelf ride that doesn't exceed $10 million. It doesn't matter which, as most of us will be there to ride it anyway.