TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Totally off-topic, but the new Katy Perry video was shot at Magic Mountain, including footage on YOLOcoaster and shots of most of the parks coasters. The song is incredibly grating (imo) but the video features some really cool effects.

Totally more off-topic...

3bd54f8c8bedd1e387d7621c9d5ad68a.jpg

Totally off-topic, but the new Katy Perry video was shot at Magic Mountain, including footage on YOLOcoaster and shots of most of the parks coasters. The song is incredibly grating (imo) but the video features some really cool effects.

Hopefully they got some free paint out of the deal.

Anyone notice the Hulk makes a cameo around 10 seconds in? Any other random not-at-SFMM coasters I missed?

Ah, I wondered for a second what that was. At first I thought it was Riddler but then realized the layout was all wrong and then forgot about it for the rest of the video. I didn't notice any others.

What is the best game plan for tackling SFMM with platinum flash passes? We are heading on march 19th and we are expecting it to be extremely crowded (a crowd calendar say its 3/4 business). My absolute #1 priority is X2 due to how unique it is and I know it breaks down a lot. Would sprinting to this ride as the first thing be the best way to get on this ride without waiting in line? We are fine with paying the 15$ fee or whatever for the X2 but if we can ride this first thing without spending almost 80$ on one ride (5 people) that would be great. How long do people expect the lines to be? If we could get a gold pas to save money that would be great but if its 50% on a 2 hour long line that is different than 50% on a 1 hour long line.

What is the best game plan for tackling SFMM with platinum flash passes? We are heading on march 19th and we are expecting it to be extremely crowded (a crowd calendar say its 3/4 business). My absolute #1 priority is X2 due to how unique it is and I know it breaks down a lot. Would sprinting to this ride as the first thing be the best way to get on this ride without waiting in line? We are fine with paying the 15$ fee or whatever for the X2 but if we can ride this first thing without spending almost 80$ on one ride (5 people) that would be great. How long do people expect the lines to be? If we could get a gold pas to save money that would be great but if its 50% on a 2 hour long line that is different than 50% on a 1 hour long line.

Yes, March 19th most likely will be extremely crowded, as it's a Bring a Friend Free Day for season pass holders. SFMM is also performing annual maintenance on some of their iconic rides (Apocalypse, Tatsu, and Riddler's Revenge), so that means the other rides are more crowded. And on top of all that, X2 has been only running one train for the past couple of weeks.

It is possible that some of these factors will change before March 19, but even then, X2 is one of the most popular rides in the park. I would definitely recommend getting there right when the park opens and running straight to X2. (If you have a Six Flags season pass, you can get in 15 minutes early.) Otherwise, expect a 3-hour wait.

If you get the chance to ride X2 more than once, try the 1st row, then the 7th row. You get lots of hangtime in the 1st row (especially on the first drop), while the 7th row gives G-force galore. The outside seats are a little rough, compared to the inside seats, but the flips are more fun on the outside, IMO.

Okay, I have hated Katy Perry for a long time, basically because of how generally terrible all her music is.

After listening to this song, I have solidified my decision. If this is the best thing music producers can come up with for someone as popular as her, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they're morons, and they're incapable of intelligent enjoyable tunes. That has to be the absolute most terrible song I have ever heard in my life, then the random appearance by Marley? WTF? The song made no sense, the video made no sense, the lyrics made no sense. Although I did enjoy the little bits of coaster footage, holy cow whoever is paying that woman to continue to make music or go to her shows is insane.

My reaction to the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkodTydUR0E

There is so much good underground/alternative music being produced that I honestly don't get why people bother complaining about commercial music. Unless you're a person that doesn't have internet and who's forced to listen to the radio to get new music there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to find something out there that you like.

I work at a trendy grocery store, so I get my fill of Katy Perry. I did enjoy the shots of the park though! I thought the whole group should ride Twisted Colossus at the end...

The new Blondie is still better But being that Debbie Harry is a senior citizen, it won't get much play.

Yes, March 19th most likely will be extremely crowded, as it's a Bring a Friend Free Day for season pass holders. SFMM is also performing annual maintenance on some of their iconic rides (Apocalypse, Tatsu, and Riddler's Revenge), so that means the other rides are more crowded. And on top of all that, X2 has been only running one train for the past couple of weeks.

It is possible that some of these factors will change before March 19, but even then, X2 is one of the most popular rides in the park. I would definitely recommend getting there right when the park opens and running straight to X2. (If you have a Six Flags season pass, you can get in 15 minutes early.) Otherwise, expect a 3-hour wait.

If you get the chance to ride X2 more than once, try the 1st row, then the 7th row. You get lots of hangtime in the 1st row (especially on the first drop), while the 7th row gives G-force galore. The outside seats are a little rough, compared to the inside seats, but the flips are more fun on the outside, IMO.

Wait so tatsu will be down? I didn't like the B&M flyer at SFGADv but apparently tatsu is off the charts.

Okay, I have hated Katy Perry for a long time, basically because of how generally terrible all her music is.

After listening to this song, I have solidified my decision. If this is the best thing music producers can come up with for someone as popular as her, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they're morons, and they're incapable of intelligent enjoyable tunes. That has to be the absolute most terrible song I have ever heard in my life, then the random appearance by Marley? WTF? The song made no sense, the video made no sense, the lyrics made no sense. Although I did enjoy the little bits of coaster footage, holy cow whoever is paying that woman to continue to make music or go to her shows is insane.

Someone is putting waaaaay too much energy into hating something that has literally no effect whatsoever on their everyday life. Katy Perry is one of the most loving, kind-hearted people out there that will go extremely far out of her way just to put a smile on someone's face. Unlike some others who only care about themselves. I've met her personally a few times and can attest to this. Sure, some of her "hits" were written just to gain popularity, but she isn't paying the bills with no hits! Most of her songs are an autobiography of her life and how she came back from the brink of lying on her bathroom floor contemplating suicide, or meant to be inspirational. I suggest actually *listening* to some of them before judging.

I want to know how many takes it took on YOLOcoaster before they were happy with the footage.

Wait so tatsu will be down? I didn't like the B&M flyer at SFGADv but apparently tatsu is off the charts.

It's down right now, for a new lift chain and maintenance on the trains. I don't know if it'll be open again by March 19.

If it is open, it is a must-ride. The loop is pretty gnarly.