TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I am Midwest guy headed to LA for the first time and I am staying downtown. Car rentals are expensive and I saw Uber will be about $25 but is the park in an area where I could get Uber back to my hotel? I know nothing about the area and nothing about the park besides it has a lot of coasters. My plan is the platinum Flash Pass. Any other tips would be appreciated. Would it be better for me to go to a park closer to downtown? Thanks.

Well if you're staying in downtown, getting to Universal (If on your agenda) won't be an issue as you can just hop on the Red Line at Union Station and take it all the way to Universal City. In regards to Magic Mountain, Uber shouldn't be an issue.

The VR was a home run from a marketing perspective. Six Flags was on national news and even other news outlets that wouldn't normally report on a theme park. It made headlines. Have those headlines turned into a substantial windfall for the company? That's to be determined. However it's worth noting that Magic Mountain has not been meeting attendance projections this summer.

As for 2017, we'll just have to wait and see.

I was all ready to pencil in a Justice League ride for this park and move on to what Knotts is doing next. And then I see they've been pretty much confirmed for SFGadv and SFOG, and now I'm not so sure. I guess 3 JL in the same year isn't out of the question, but now I wonder if SFMM could be doing the SFOT flat ride additions instead or even something else?

Hmmmmm....

Would it be better for me to go to a park closer to downtown? Thanks.

Magic Mountain is a decent distance from downtown, and traffic both in and out of LA is a pain, so be sure to account for that (get on the road early and stay there late). With that said, a $25 uber doesn't sound like a bad deal but I'm surprised you can't rent a basic car for less.

As far as platinum pass goes, I've never bought one at Magic Mountain because I'm a local, but for big out of town parks that I probably won't return to anytime soon, they're the way to go for me.

The VR was a home run from a marketing perspective. Six Flags was on national news and even other news outlets that wouldn't normally report on a theme park. It made headlines. Have those headlines turned into a substantial windfall for the company? That's to be determined. However it's worth noting that Magic Mountain has not been meeting attendance projections this summer.

As for 2017, we'll just have to wait and see.

I was all ready to pencil in a Justice League ride for this park and move on to what Knotts is doing next. And then I see they've been pretty much confirmed for SFGadv and SFOG, and now I'm not so sure. I guess 3 JL in the same year isn't out of the question, but now I wonder if SFMM could be doing the SFOT flat ride additions instead or even something else?

Hmmmmm....

Yeah, Gradv and SFOG getting JL kinda makes me question MM's 2017 as well. I feel like there are several different possible scenarios:

1.Six Flags is installing 3 JLs for next year, there should be extra capital since there are no rumored RMC conversions and the only other major addition is a rumored 4D for SFstl.

2.A Justice League was planned for MM but switched to Gradv last min due to MM coming up short on performance goals. Or possibly market research determined JL wouldnt fit MMs demographic.

3.A flat ride package similar to SFOT was planned all along for the old stunt show area.

4.MM taking 2017 off to plan for a 2018 dive coaster. Interesting note, one of the market research survey questions about future planning was which name (Joker, Wonder Woman, etc) would be fitting for a ride tallest of its kind (I'm sure an MM dive would one up CP's height record).

I am Midwest guy headed to LA for the first time and I am staying downtown. Car rentals are expensive and I saw Uber will be about $25 but is the park in an area where I could get Uber back to my hotel? I know nothing about the area and nothing about the park besides it has a lot of coasters. My plan is the platinum Flash Pass. Any other tips would be appreciated. Would it be better for me to go to a park closer to downtown? Thanks.

Renting a car, as long as you don't care what kind of car, is cheaper than getting an uber both ways. Do you have a SF Gold Pass? cause if you rent a car and you dont have a gold pass, you also have to pay $20 or $25 (I forget) in parking, that could make a big difference.

If you're going for an all day open-to-close trip to the park, traffic shouldnt be too much of a problem, because youll be traveling outside of peak hours. If you drive during rush hour, you could see that 30 minute drive easily turn into a 2 hour drive.

Another thing to consider is that food in the park mostly sucks, except the new sports bar, and I've heard the newest places Twisted 'Wiches and Chop Six aren't as bad. If you want to leave the park to get food, having a rental car will be preferred otherwise you have to call another Uber as there really isn't anything outside of the park within walking distance.

I agree with getting the platinum pass. If you're travelling halfway across the country it's probably a good idea. If you're going on a Saturday in Summer, just buy it online because chances are you'll need it. However - If you're going on a different day of the week its possible the park might not be busy, so you may want to buy the pass at the park. I can tell you from experience it sucks to pony up for a platinum pass and then find out everything is a walk-on anyway.

I'm skeptical about a Justice League ride for this park. It doesn't seem to fit their demographic at all. SFMM is a roller coaster park, and adding a dark ride like that seems really out-of-place. And since the park already has a crap load of rides to maintain, the dark ride will be put at the bottom of the priority list, meaning after 3-4 years, the effects will be in terrible condition or not work at all.

But whether for 2017 or 2018, I could see the park go with almost anything. As long as it's grand enough to market as their 20th coaster. The whole area by Apocalypse could desperately use a new ride.

I agree. I don't think that we will see JL:BFM next year. I could see a huge flats expansion next year on the site of the old BAT accompanied by a refurbishment of Cyclone Bay. I could also see them reroute the "land" lines to make that area become part of Cyclone Bay. They will probably retheme Apocalypse, and use Gale Force 7 for its new name, as we all remember that that name was trademarked a while ago. I, realistically, think that we'd see something like a Zamperla Air Race, A Zamperla Disco, A Larson Stupidloop (marketed as a flat ride so they don't get any backlash), a modern enterprise, a Trokia, and a couple other smaller flats. What do you think?

I agree. I don't think that we will see JL:BFM next year. I could see a huge flats expansion next year on the site of the old BAT accompanied by a refurbishment of Cyclone Bay. I could also see them reroute the "land" lines to make that area become part of Cyclone Bay. They will probably retheme Apocalypse, and use Gale Force 7 for its new name, as we all remember that that name was trademarked a while ago. I, realistically, think that we'd see something like a Zamperla Air Race, A Zamperla Disco, A Larson Stupidloop (marketed as a flat ride so they don't get any backlash), a modern enterprise, a Trokia, and a couple other smaller flats. What do you think?

That sounds awesome! I have also heard some murmurings that the Waterfront restaurant is coming down in the next few months for the 2017 project as well. Hopefully we will get some flats the park direly needs, as I've seen since I've been at CP the last two days.

I'm skeptical about a Justice League ride for this park. It doesn't seem to fit their demographic at all. SFMM is a roller coaster park, and adding a dark ride like that seems really out-of-place. And since the park already has a crap load of rides to maintain, the dark ride will be put at the bottom of the priority list, meaning after 3-4 years, the effects will be in terrible condition or not work at all.

I don't know, they do still invest in non-coaster stuff. I've never been to see it but didn't they create a new show in that theatre close to Twisted Colossus? I kind of view rides like JL along the same lines to be honest (sit down in an air conditioned room and watch a "show" of sorts). I rode the version of JL in Texas and it really just reminded me of that one video game ride at Knotts. Aside from some fog and a couple of moving props, there weren't that many effects in it — it's mainly video game screens. I think it would be very popular with families and people who want to escape the heat. Would I ride it? Probably not, but I could see why they'd get one.

I know I'd be totally fine with either a JL (especially if it had a single rider line... interesting that Texas has one, but St. Louis doesn't) or a flat ride package.

At this point, with so many shoot up interactive rides in SoCal already (Buzz Lightyear, Midway Mania, Nijago and Land of Adventure at Legoland, Iron Reef, and Ghost Blasters at Castle Park), I'm not 100% certain SFMM needs one.

Really, the idea of a flat package sounds better and better to me. SFMM has needed that for a very long time. Does anyone remember that they used to have a Bayern Curve (Swiss Twist), Condor, Tilt a Whirl, Crazy Barrels, Trabant (Circus Wheel), Enterprise, Jolly Roger/Monster (Double armed Octopus), funhouse (Magic Pagoda), skyway (Eagle's Flight), Bumper boats (El Bumpo), Rotor (Spin Out), Monorail, Dragon transport up and down the hill, train around Spillikin Corners, Tumble Drum, and the Galaxy double armed ferris wheel?

Geez, I got depressed just writing that list. And speaking of flat rides, I always thought it could be cool if they could find a one that'd fit in the old, unused and now probably rotten lower Dragon station.

That took quite a turn...

Does the park actually invest in anything besides roller coasters though? The different entertainment options interspersed throughout the year are an entirely separate budget and have no effect on corporate capital money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last non-roller coaster capital investment was Lex Luthor and before that I can't even think of anything...

I'm not sure where all of these JL definitely isn't happening rumors are coming from, I mean what's stopping the chain from deciding to plop down three JL rides? Granted, I'm kind of contradicting myself here based on my previous paragraph, however I genuinely do think that it would be a really really nice change from the typical roller coaster after roller coaster to see Justice League come to the park next season.

Tim Burkhart might lie about some things (Revolution), but one thing I think he is right about is the ROI on flat rides...it just isn't there for a park in a market like SFMM.

That took quite a turn...

Does the park actually invest in anything besides roller coasters though? The different entertainment options interspersed throughout the year are an entirely separate budget and have no effect on corporate capital money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last non-roller coaster capital investment was Lex Luthor and before that I can't even think of anything...

I'm not sure where all of these JL definitely isn't happening rumors are coming from, I mean what's stopping the chain from deciding to plop down three JL rides? Granted, I'm kind of contradicting myself here based on my previous paragraph, however I genuinely do think that it would be a really really nice change from the typical roller coaster after roller coaster to see Justice League come to the park next season.

I don't think anyone is saying a JL ride isn't coming to the park ( at this point I still think it's the most logical choice), but rather it is not the ONLY option for 2017, and it certainly doesn't HAVE TO happen in 2017 or bust.

It's just that the pattern has been to add them to two parks a year. That can certainly change next year (given there are no rumors of any RMCs taking away the budget), but if that pattern DOESN'T change, what other ideas might the park have up their sleeves.

And let's face it, this park makes money when they add new roller coasters or thrill rides. And TNR doesn't count.

One of the other reasons I don't believe that we will see JL:BFM is the complete descrution of BAT theater. I would think considering how they've done it in the past, they would have kept as much of it as possible. But they just completly destroyed that thing. Also, there are very few thrilling flats in the SoCal market, Knotts is getting rid of all of theirs, Disney/Seaworld/Legoland/Universal have none, so they would be the dominant thrilling flats place in the market.

Also, they wouldn't have the star attraction like at other parks due to extreme competition in that market. They would probably have to differenciate it to make it something other than a good shooting dark ride. I would love to see them make it non interactive and they could just keep the storyline and most of the animations, but I highly doubt that they would do that.

One of the other reasons I don't believe that we will see JL:BFM is the complete descrution of BAT theater. I would think considering how they've done it in the past, they would have kept as much of it as possible. But they just completly destroyed that thing. Also, there are very few thrilling flats in the SoCal market, Knotts is getting rid of all of theirs, Disney/Seaworld/Legoland/Universal have none, so they would be the dominant thrilling flats place in the market.

That theater would not have worked at all for any part of a JL dark ride. It wasn't even enclosed. Also, only the first two installations went into existing buildings. SFM, and SFGAm built brand new buildings for theirs. SFGAd will be building a brand new building, and assuming SFOG will be getting a JL, they will build new too.

I would like to see them do a Justice League "land." The dark ride as the anchor attraction with two additional rides in the area. With Riddler nearby as the big coaster of the land. A giant Frisbee would be good fit locally. If they are going to do a spinning flat ride, would rather seem them invest in a spinning coaster instead. Even smaller footprint coasters like a disko from Zamperla. Although I do think that coaster #21, when that day comes, should be large scale.

Glad to see them continue working on improving HH too. They really need to get a water coaster and Flowrider into HH soon. Hard to believe that Raging Waters is the first local waterpark to get the water coaster design over SFMM and Knott's.

That theater would not have worked at all for any part of a JL dark ride. It wasn't even enclosed. Also, only the first two installations went into existing buildings. SFM, and SFGAm built brand new buildings for theirs. SFGAd will be building a brand new building, and assuming SFOG will be getting a JL, they will build new too.

Given the location, I would imagine SFMM would also prefer to built their show building from the ground up. With the new building they don't have to worry about code issues, and if you've been to a park with one, these rides look stunning from the outside.

I'd like to a see a flat or two also, with the entire area given a face lift.

I would like to see them do a Justice League "land." The dark ride as the anchor attraction with two additional rides in the area. With Riddler nearby as the big coaster of the land.

They'd probably need to do some work on it first as it's pretty damn rough these days.