TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Perhaps the headsets will be leashed to each car so they cannot fly away...

Um, how long that leash? This would be turning it into a great S&M ride, LOLOL!

Note to Add: Come to think of it, the HALLOWEEN version of it, might be quite something, bwa - ha - ha!

If you read the article on the Six Flags site you would know. It also explains how the goggles wont be able to fly off your head or the train. Who woulda thunk, Samsung addressed many of the concerns expressed in this thread before dumping a bunch of money into their product

"It's raining headsets!!!"

The Revolution trains look AWESOME! It looks like they basically removed the OTSR's, but didnt update the lapbars at all which I am very excited about!

I don't know how I feel about the VR, but I'll try it once. It just sucks that it's going to definitely slow down lines (as if the SF rides ops need yet another excuse to move slow and stack trains...).

Edited by DoubleDown

If you read the article on the Six Flags site you would know. It also explains how the goggles wont be able to fly off the train. Who would have thought they addressed many of the concerns expressed in this thread before dumping a bunch of money into it

Yeah, because six flags never makes bad decisions. Also, it's possible that the headsets won't cost six flags a dime since samsung is getting free publicity

Edited by mike932

If you read the article on the Six Flags site you would know. It also explains how the goggles wont be able to fly off the train. Who would have thought they addressed many of the concerns expressed in this thread before dumping a bunch of money into it

Yeah, because six flags never makes bad decisions

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot these were headsets designed by Six Flags! I wonder what that billion dollar electronics brand Samsung name is doing on them?

Yeah, because six flags never makes bad decisions

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot these were headsets designed by Six Flags! I wonder what that billion dollar electronics brand Samsung name is doing on them?

Oh I see. So you think Samsung is forcing Six Flags to use their headsets and that Six Flags was not involved at all with the decision to use the headsets on the ride.

If you read the article on the Six Flags site you would know. It also explains how the goggles wont be able to fly off your head or the train. Who woulda thunk, Samsung addressed many of the concerns expressed in this thread before dumping a bunch of money into their product

Actually I did read the entire article - and compared it to the other SF sites, just to make sure all the info. was the same.

That said, THIS is what really galled me about all this publicity...

“This remarkable technology is a definite game-changer for theme park rides and represents everything our brand stands for—delivering the most thrilling and innovative rides and attractions in the world,” said John Duffey, Six Flags President and CEO. “With the addition of these virtual reality coasters, Six Flags will be introducing more than double the number of new coasters and rides than we did in 2015, and more than any year in the last decade. Innovation is part of our DNA, and news in every park every year is driving higher guest satisfaction and building strong momentum for our company."

They are vaguely implying that this IS the future of "new coasters" and they're acting like these are all brand new coasters, opening soon.

This is NOT a "New Coaster". It is a "New Coaster Experience." There is a difference.

This is the Larson Loop nonsense all over again.

Just me slightly ranting. Also, my memory intake is not what it used to be.

So I will go back and review the article. And find out for myself. Merci.

the_more_you_know.gif.72c392d07732e4e0cf4492bc4c499418.gif

Oh I see. So you think Samsung is forcing Six Flags to use their headsets and that Six Flags was not involved at all with the decision to use the headsets on the ride.

Lol, no.

Who came to who with the idea of doing this is irrelevent.

I'm saying Samsung designed these things, and Samsung isnt dumb. Not only did they already address the immediate knee jerk concerns that were brought up in this thread "these are gonna fly off peoples heads!" (which were explained on the SF site), I'm sure there's dozens of other issues they thought of (that we as GP havent) and came up with solutions to those as well.

Can't wait to see how quickly the devices are ruined by terrible people who think it's fun to destroy whatever they see.

It's kind of a neat idea but it sounds like one of those things that looks good on paper but runs aground on the sharp rocks of practicality.

Can't wait to see how quickly the devices are ruined by terrible people who think it's fun to destroy whatever they see. It's kind of a neat idea but it sounds like one of those things that looks good on paper but runs aground on the sharp rocks of practicality.

I also predict riders will try to take it off during the ride when they decide they don't like it. #claustrophobia

My only question is, why did they use YOLOcoaster for the Ad; with that being said I think FT would make an amazing Virtual Reality coaster. The reverse launch could be something coming after you (Launched backwards), you dodge it (Backwards Snake-dive), and you fly back to fight it (Full launch forward)

Because its a fairly new coaster that they had footage of (whereas theres no footage of TNR) and whose track color is close to Revolutions and most GP probably wouldn't notice.

I'll pass.

OMG no one will see the painful coathangers on Ninja coming up and be able to brace for them! Oh those poor souls..they'll think an alien broke their neck instead of the shitty ride.

I could also see a few of these being stolen.

This might be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. As somebody who has first hand given VR demos and seen many people get motion sick, I can't imagine this being anything short of a puke fest. VR is somewhat naturally disorientating and nauseating even when sitting still. Adding uncontrolled motion to the mix just seems like a really bad idea and I expect severe motion sickness to be extremely common.

This might be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. As somebody who has first hand given VR demos and seen many people get motion sick, I can't imagine this being anything short of a puke fest. VR is somewhat naturally disorientating and nauseating even when sitting still. Adding uncontrolled motion to the mix just seems like a really bad idea and I expect severe motion sickness to be extremely common.

^Surely it's the exact opposite. People get motion sick with regular, sitting still VR due to the fact the brain feels like you should be moving (based on what you see with your eyes) and it's trying to balance you against non existant movement. On a coaster, this wouldn't happen since those movments are there.

^Surely it's the exact opposite. People get motion sick with regular, sitting still VR due to the fact the brain feels like you should be moving (based on what you see with your eyes) and it's trying to balance you against non existant movement. On a coaster, this wouldn't happen since those movments are there.

On the contrary it's best to keep people as still as possible. The second people start trying to move around with a VR headset, the motion sickness becomes much worse. You completely lose perspective of where you body resides within 3D space which really plays with your senses in a way the brain isn't used to. Adding outside motion to the VR motion (even if the two are synced up) will lead to very uncomfortable situations for many riders. Everyone has different reactions to VR and there is generally a bit of a curve until you get used to it and the nausea isn't as big of a deal. I can't imagine this will be a very good first experience of VR for many riders and expect it to be fairly uncomfortable for a lot of people.