TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

Do I have to wear the headset?

You have the choice of riding with or without a headset.

The VR Coaster system is definitely an interesting trend, even though it isn't my cup of tea.

I'm not sure about all this "VR" stuff, either; my past experiences with this technology left me feeling nauseated. Still, I imagine "flying through Metropolis" at SFA would be better than over a vacant lot.

No thank you. I'm old school when it comes to this crap. If I want to play a video game I will play a video game. When I got to the parks I go to experience the roller coasters as a piece of art that I can ride in its most natural sense.

Well this is a pleasant surprise!

I think the biggest shock for me are the coasters that the parks chose to add this tech to, a floorless and a couple of hypers! I wonder if each coaster will get its own sim or if it will be mainly the same for each park..

I'd call this a novelty. Part of a roller coaster experience is the thrilling visuals, looking down and seeing how high you are, the expressions on the faces of your family & friends sitting next to you. This eliminates all of the real-world/social aspects of riding coasters in favor of an artificial/solitary experience.

Six Flags Announces Virtual Reality Roller Coasters at 9 US Parks!

WOW. I was not expecting them to go so gung-ho with this across the board. I'm stunned (in a good way). Even more so that they seem to be including some hypers in there.

I'm literally at a loss for words, so... just... wow.

They're probably doing it at so many parks because the headsets probably aren't that expensive when compared to the cost of an entire roller coaster. Never having been a part of their design/business team to do price evaluations, I probably wouldn't put an out-of-my-butt price tag of more than maybe $2,000 per headset. So fully outfitting all those coasters will only end up at around $1 million, which is basically a kiddie coaster's worth of money.

Didn't see (no pun intended!) this coming......

No pun intended? What kind of monster are you??????

While I would love to try this and experience it...I'm also thinking this is going to extremely slow down loading time with everyone putting on headsets and whatnot. Or, they may have a process in place to keep the lines moving at a normal pace...Who knows? Just a concern.

True, the ops side will be interesting part of this equation. Headsets have to be cleaned after all after every ride. Bit of a learning curve for guests to put on headset. The age restriction will also be in play, so you know there will be some who will try to get around that as well. Will be great test of the hardware reliability withstanding the stress of being on a coaster.

Great that they are being ambitious with bringing a new experience to the chain.

I always support innovation and I'm glad they are trying this concept on some more aggressive rides. I'll be interested to see how this works out operationally and experientially. That said, I can't shake the fear in the back of my mind that if this does well, less rides will be built to be good on their own. Coasters are about having real thrilling experiences and I hope this doesn't change that over time.

I'm thinking the headsets will be cleaned and set up on your head before you actually reach the coaster itself, just like you get 3D glasses before sitting down to watch a movie. Probably right at the moment they ask how many in your party before sending you to the overflow queue.

My only question is, why did they use Full Throttle for the Ad; with that being said I think FT would make an amazing Virtual Reality coaster. The reverse launch could be something coming after you (Launched backwards), you dodge it (Backwards Snake-dive), and you fly back to fight it (Full launch forward)

Six Flags Announces Virtual Reality Roller Coasters at 9 US Parks!

WOW. I was not expecting them to go so gung-ho with this across the board. I'm stunned (in a good way). Even more so that they seem to be including some hypers in there.

I'm literally at a loss for words, so... just... wow.

They're probably doing it at so many parks because the headsets probably aren't that expensive when compared to the cost of an entire roller coaster. Never having been a part of their design/business team to do price evaluations, I probably wouldn't put an out-of-my-butt price tag of more than maybe $2,000 per headset. So fully outfitting all those coasters will only end up at around $1 million, which is basically a kiddie coaster's worth of money.

I would say way less than that considering the consumer headset itself is only $99 http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/gear-vr/

Just got my confirmation for my virtual revolution ride! Got an email at 8:33 this morning offering pass holders a preview ride. Check your email, passholders! I predict a lot of people will get nauseous from riding with a VR headset.

Edited by mike932

I would say way less than that considering the consumer headset itself is only $99 http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/gear-vr/

The headset requires a compatible phone, the cheapest of which is 600$ MSRP. They may have access to phones built specifically built for this without phone capabilities, but I'd assume those cost at least 400$. So, about at least 500$ per set sounds about right to me.

Edited by Fooz

When you introduce something like this to clientele that often struggle to board a train and secure a restraint as it stands (and adding a seat belt into the mix is like throwing a curveball), this will be wonderful for the already stellar dispatch times you run into at many Six Flags parks.

It is really interesting that they're rolling this out at so many parks. Although the general enthusiast consensus is "meh" I predict the GP will eat this up. I give it a week (or maybe a few) before all my friends on Facebook start sending me stuff like, "Did you hear about the Virtual Reality roller coasters?!?!? "

I'm also really curious about how they're going to do this to keep it quick and efficient. I'm sure they have it planned out somehow but it seems like it would be difficult helping everyone put them on and get to their seats and put drink cups down and all that jazz. I'm not really familiar with these headsets so pardon my ignorance, but can you see out of them when they're not turned on? Is it like looking at everything though a Facetime until the VR kicks in?

It is really interesting that they're rolling this out at so many parks. Although the general enthusiast consensus is "meh" I predict the GP will eat this up. I give it a week (or maybe a few) before all my friends on Facebook start sending me stuff like, "Did you hear about the Virtual Reality roller coasters?!?!? "

I'm also really curious about how they're going to do this to keep it quick and efficient. I'm sure they have it planned out somehow but it seems like it would be difficult helping everyone put them on and get to their seats and put drink cups down and all that jazz. I'm not really familiar with these headsets so pardon my ignorance, but can you see out of them when they're not turned on? Is it like looking at everything though a Facetime until the VR kicks in?

In general, no you cannot see through them. There is a way to do that, but It's not all that convenient. I'd bet that the ride attendants will hand them to you once the restraints are locked and help you with putting them on (although it isn't hard to do), and the VR will be on as soon as you put it on.