TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

No way it was running 3 trains on Friday. Today the third train was on the maintenance track with no headrests and have the restraints missing. It has been sitting that way for almost a year! But that is alright. That is train #3, which is by far the roughest of the 3. For some reason, train 2 is the smoothest by far. Train 1 (which I rode today) is just okay.

• Replies 55k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jew

• ebl

• robbalvey

• Tmcdllr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Saturday 11/21, Theme Park Review was invited to see the Six Flags Magic Mountain Holiday in the Park Drive-thru Experience. It’s rare for park patrons to get to drive through a theme park, so this

There are other jobs available.  Not even close to a fair comparison.  And I’m someone who is a causality of this nonsense. The rational argument you should be making is how if the goal is to kee

Looks like the 2021ish coaster for SFMM was conditionally approved by the city https://epicla.lacounty.gov/SelfService/#/permit/3f44c971-a566-49fc-95c9-7ae34f7382fd Here is the second request th

Posted Images

Tatsu running both stations? Nice to hear. Always surprised when I hear that.

Ha, no. That wasn't the case at all. They just managed to dispatch train on time for once.

Also, it's impossible for X2 tor run four trains. They only have three, two of which are (barely) operable.

As per advice went straight to Full Throttle

Hoping the lines weren't to long for Colossus we head that way. But by then it was way out past the entrance so we headed around for the summit.
With an hour to go it was time for the final anticipation coaster of the day, Colossus.

While I'm glad you got on everything and things worked out for you in the park, I have to question why you would leave the "brand new highly anticipated ride" until the very last hour of they day??? That just seems so risky to me as new rides always tend to have issues, especially in their opening year. I can't tell you how many times we've been to a park with our group where we say "MAKE SURE YOU GET ON THE NEW RIDE FIRST...JUST IN CASE!" only to have something happen to it later which closes it for the rest of the day.

Like I said, I'm glad you got on everything, and luck was on your side, but whoever advised you NOT to go to Colossus first gave you really poor advice.

Edited by robbalvey

Yesterday, Tatsu was running two stations all day. Superman was running both sides for 3 or 4 hours. TC was running 3 trains all day. Oh, and I should mention about Apocalypse. The new train win the black restraints is much rougher than the old train with orange restraints. I didn't enjoy it as much in the black train and then it seriously hauled in the orange train.

Waits in the Screamounk District decline a LOT in the afternoon. Around 11:30, the line for TC was out the entrance, down to Scream, and back to the entrance. And Scream's line was barely poking out the entrance. By 4:00, TC's line was inside the entrance and Scream was only a station wait! Rides like Tatsu and X2 had long waits around then.

Decided to request today off work for some 26th birthday coaster fun!

Single rider line at Twisted Colossus is the BEST!!! Was able to get 8 rides in a row within a short span of time and about to head back over there for some more runs The only downside was that it didn't race once. In fact, even on the times I was close to racing, we'd be heading up the green lift, yet our train wouldn't slow its climb so the other train on the blue lift could catch up. When I rode opening weekend, I was able to race each time cause he green lift would slow whenever a train dispatched the station. Kinda disappointing, but it's still a kick-a$$ ride.

Going back to older topics, the parks with the worst operations I have ever experienced are Elitch Gardens and SFA. Way, way worse than SFMM at their worst.

And while I'm happy Swashbuckler is open again... we waited over a year for a Yo Yo that still doesn't tilt? Why is it so difficult for SFMM to get a Yo Yo to operate fully? I can only imagine this was an intentional decision, but I have no idea why. It used to tilt for years.

Evidently the reports that Goliath's chain was previously installed were completely false. Just saw a photo taken today that clearly shows what is obviously the new chain being installed.

Went to the park yesterday - Wednesdays seem like good days to go during this busy summer season - pretty much 2 train operation on everything and both sides running on Superman. Finally got the mythical duel-duel on Twisted Colossus! I saw more duels yesterday since any other day - hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

Went to the park yesterday - Wednesdays seem like good days to go during this busy summer season - pretty much 2 train operation on everything and both sides running on Superman. Finally got the mythical duel-duel on Twisted Colossus! I saw more duels yesterday since any other day - hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

I would say it's more like a sign that the TC ride staff currently handles smaller crowds better than larger ones.

Which is weird....what difference would it make....X number of people enter through the gates, regardless of how many are waiting in line....

Maybe less time focused on filling each train? *shrug*

There is a crane at Goliath so good news!

That's what was in the photo I referred to two posts earlier, a crane with the chain hanging from it.

Whoops! Can't see certain photos on Tapatalk, sorry!

TC. Is. Amazing. Period. Alright the drop is second to only one other El Toro, but you don't have one, you have two! This ride needs to be experienced. Was at the park for 6 hours. Not too long, but it was long enough to have a great time. Here is the scorecard:

Twisted Colossus 4x (3 stand-by, 1 single rider)

Scream! 2x

Apocolypse 1x

Tatsu 1x

Full Throtle 1x

Not too many rides, but when you get to ride a world class coaster over and over 4 times, you're bound to have a good time. There were many pros about today including I can say from experience that Single Rider rocks. While the stand-by line wasn't long, (it was a mere 25 minutes) the single rider line got us in in under 5.That's pretty darn sweet! Speaking of TC, their ride crew was getting people out in as minimum time possible. We timed them one time at 1 min. 23 sec. We got plenty of races. Another pro is that Superman wasn't running one side, it was running two. Good job Six Flags! Now to the cons: The security guard in front of TC claimed that since we knew each other (I went with my brother) we couldn't get in line. What? We didn't care wheather or not we rode together. That was the most stupid rule i've ever heard of! Then when we went separately, he still called us out! Eventually we got on when he left. Btw, there was lift hill work being done with a crane on Goliath. They eventually stopped mid-day. Overall, it was a good day!

Spent a few hours at the park today. The crowds were reasonable, and the operations were very good overall. Gold pass gate opened around 10:10am, and Twisted Colossus had already cycled a few trains, so it was ready to go. Got a couple of rides in before the main gates opened and the crowds descended upon it. First ride was on the first dispatch of the day, and the trains were slightly out of sync for both duels. However, the next ride dueled on both sides, and both times we rode it later in the day, it also dueled on both sides. Despite the GP’s best efforts to slow things down, the ride ops were doing great — even when the ride got busy later in the day.

Apocalypse didn’t seem as bad today as it was two or three weeks ago, so I’m guessing we just happened to get a better train. Still brutal and a shadow of its former self, but a moderate improvement. Next time you’re on it, look backwards from the brake run and you can see just how jacked up parts of the track are.

Jumped on FT (still my favorite ride there), Superman (running both sides), Jet Stream (it was hot!), Scream, and then bailed.

And yes, we saw the chain installation underway on Goliath as well. The crane was up, and there were a couple of workers up there fiddling around with stuff. Should be back soon, hopefully.

I bought 3 season passes to Magic Mountain over the years and never made it up to Valencia to active them. Finally, just a few years ago, I decided to stop by the park on my way to a friend's BBQ in the valley to ride a few coasters since my season pass was about to expire (again).

I rode Scream, Colossus, then Goliath. I was one of 3 people sitting in the Goliath train waiting for more people to come up to the loading platform when a large, loud group of men boarded and filled the train -- including the seat next to me.

The train left the station and I kinda felt uneasy about this overly-boisterous group, and soon it became apparent why I felt that way. As train went past the on-ride camera, every last one of those guys crossed their hands up in a big "V" formation and yelled "VAGOS!"

Yup, I was an honorary Vago for 3 minutes. One of my life's biggest regrets was that I didn't buy the photo of a terrified me and 27 Vagos.

After that I rode Riddler's Revenge (I had never been on it) and it destroyed my back, so I left the park after only an hour. I haven't been back since then so I'm really looking forward to Sept. 12th. Hopefully I'll get to ride Twisted Colossus with some Hells Angels.

Wow today was awesome! I got to the park around 12:30 and got out just a little before 5. Here was my ride count.

Green Lantern x1 (Single Rider 5 min)

Batman x1 (5 min)

Twisted Colossus x4 (5 min each via Single Rider)

Scream x1 (5 min)

Lunch (20 min)

Superman x2 (once on each side, 10 min wait each)

Tatsu x1 (55 min wait, didn't open until late today but running both stations with 4 ops checking seats on each side)

X2 x1 (15 min, even shorter after I got off)

All that in 4 hours!

What a day!

I would say it's more like a sign that the TC ride staff currently handles smaller crowds better than larger ones.

If that's true it makes it even more unfortunate that every couple trains there's an empty seat where a single rider should be, so it probably really slows down the line on busy days. Part of that problem is that the single rider line is at the opposite end of the grouper...