TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I really don't get why this had to be done. I understand trimming around the "danger zones" very close to the track, but this just seems like overkill.

I guarantee it was dictated by their lawyers. Classic over reaction.

Bingo. A very unfortunate reality of the modern day amusement industry is that avoiding lawsuits (however frivolous) is the #1 priority in any decision making process.

Planning on heading to SFMM (first time!) in the rain tomorrow, 50% chance of rain apparently. I want to at least get credits for Tatsu, Yolo, and X2. (And take some photos of Twisted Colli's construction, of course.) How bad is it in the rain? Should I wear...goggles or anything? My last experience of rain in a theme park was at Knott's, and everything was basically a walk-on. It was real light, but still.

My guess would be they discovered that there could be issues with the other trees (maybe they were dying?), so the best option was to remove all the old ones and start fresh.

This seems more likely to me. While it would be easy to say that this is an overreaction at the behest of the lawyers, the fact that they put in new trees hints that they care at least a little bit, but there were likely issues that required the removal of the old ones. If the lawyers had said “You know, it would really reduce our potential liability here to just clear cut the hillside and leave it that way.” I doubt that MM would have given much push back and you wouldn’t see new trees planted. Just my 2 cents.

Planning on heading to SFMM (first time!) in the rain tomorrow, 50% chance of rain apparently. I want to at least get credits for Tatsu, Yolo, and X2. (And take some photos of Twisted Colli's construction, of course.) How bad is it in the rain? Should I wear...goggles or anything? My last experience of rain in a theme park was at Knott's, and everything was basically a walk-on. It was real light, but still.

The rides where you would need/want to wear googles (X2, Superman, YOLO) will probably not be open if there is enough rain that you would need the goggles. X2, Superman, and Lex close pretty quickly in rain or wind. Most everything else stays open unless it gets bad. Rain or even the threat of rain usually keeps crowds to a minimum as long as there isn't an event where lots of people are bused in.

This might be one day where if X2 is running in the morning and it's not raining yet but it looks like it might you should go to X2 first, cause if it starts sprinkling later it may close and not reopen. Prioritize Lex Luthor and Superman for the same reason. As long as it doesnt rain hard all day you should definitely get Tatsu and most likely YOLO.

Even though the rain hasn't started today, are any rides closed?

Havent heard mention of anything being closed other than the obvious ones, Scream and Colossus/TC.

On that subject I saw a great overhead photo yesterday showing what looked like 95% of Scream painted...I wasnt the biggest fan of the colors at first but it looks a lot better now that it's almost done.

My guess would be they discovered that there could be issues with the other trees (maybe they were dying?), so the best option was to remove all the old ones and start fresh.

This seems more likely to me. While it would be easy to say that this is an overreaction at the behest of the lawyers, the fact that they put in new trees hints that they care at least a little bit, but there were likely issues that required the removal of the old ones. If the lawyers had said “You know, it would really reduce our potential liability here to just clear cut the hillside and leave it that way.” I doubt that MM would have given much push back and you wouldn’t see new trees planted. Just my 2 cents.

Well if that's the case they should cut down all the trees surrounding rides at Magic Mountain including Revolution and Full Throttle and Superman.

Overreaction for sure. One tree falls after 45 years of the park being in operation, and all of a sudden it's like every tree around the ride is going to topple over.

Dumb.

Unfortunately when TC will open, SF MM wil make TC only available with an platinum flash pass (+$15), so prepare to wait in line for 2 hours (however six flags is kinda bound to use 3 trains, so that will help).

That was expected though. It's standard procedure that the newest ride will be a FP upcharge for the first year or two due to popularity.

When YOLO was added as a Platinum upcharge, X2 was downgraded to Gold and Lex Luthor was downgraded to standard. Perhaps now they will either put X2 on regular flash pass or downgrade YOLO to Gold. My guess would be the latter.

According to the website, YOLO is no longer an upcharge. On a platinum pass, you get one ride each on YOLO and Superman. X2 is still upcharge.

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/store/flash-pass

Argh...too bad about the trees. Samurai Summit is one of the more scenic areas of the park, but I guess SF is finally feeling the "ouch" from that train derailment that was a result of an overgrown branch a few years back.

Wasn't that in 2014? Shortly after it happened they trimmed em. Now like a few days/week after they cut down the remaining trees near TC they seemingly remove all of them anywhere close to Ninja. I get it if the trees were in danger of falling over. But come on darting trough the trees on ninja was as much part of the experience as the tracking/ride itself. Maybe put up walls or something, Though with the winds they can see those would more likely blow over then the trees.

Edited by Fire2box

Argh...too bad about the trees. Samurai Summit is one of the more scenic areas of the park, but I guess SF is finally feeling the "ouch" from that train derailment that was a result of an overgrown branch a few years back.

Wasn't that in 2014? Shortly after it happened they trimmed em. Now like a few days/week after they cut down the remaining trees near TC they seemingly remove all of them anywhere close to Ninja.

Yeah I believe it may have been in August...? It was very recently, certainly in 2014.

That still sounds like an upcharge if I have to buy a Platinum pass. Also, does that mean that Superman is no longer available on the regular Flash Pass?

Looks that way. AND they raised the price!

One thing is not very clear, though: is SF saying that you only get to use FP once on Superman and once on yolo and then the ride is cleared from the screen, or that they will not allow you to ride twice in a row but instead will ask you to make another reservation?

Wasn't that in 2014? Shortly after it happened they trimmed em. Now like a few days/week after they cut down the remaining trees near TC they seemingly remove all of them anywhere close to Ninja.

Yeah I believe it may have been in August...? It was very recently, certainly in 2014.

It was. I don't know why people are complaining again, this is old news. But after all this is the SFMM thread.

That still sounds like an upcharge if I have to buy a Platinum pass. Also, does that mean that Superman is no longer available on the regular Flash Pass?

Looks that way. AND they raised the price!

One thing is not very clear, though: is SF saying that you only get to use FP once on Superman and once on yolo and then the ride is cleared from the screen, or that they will not allow you to ride twice in a row but instead will ask you to make another reservation?

It sounds like you will either make a reservation when you pick up your FP or will get some kind of ticket/boarding pass when you pick up your FP. Thats a bummer of SEFK is no longer on the menu for FP, that is one queue I really enjoyed skipping.

It was. I don't know why people are complaining again, this is old news. But after all this is the SFMM thread.

Trimming the trees and completly removing them are two different things. As far as I heard before that new photo the tree's had some of their branches trimmed off, ones that could potential fall onto the track. Now the hill is just barren.

Well if that's the case they should cut down all the trees surrounding rides at Magic Mountain including Revolution and YOLOcoaster and Superman.

Overreaction for sure. One tree falls after 45 years of the park being in operation, and all of a sudden it's like every tree around the ride is going to topple over.

Dumb.

Perhaps it is because during their investigation, they found something wrong with the other trees that would leave them susceptible to falling as well?

It could very well be an overreaction, but the reality is none of us really know. At least the park got the second train back (something I honestly didn't expect) and is replanting trees.

Maybe they are doing their part for the ongoing drought and are planting more sustainable trees? I mean it seems unlikely but it coule be true.

Also, regarding the trees around Revolution, I truly hope they stick around. I think they do a great job at separating the Revolution ride experience from Tatsu.