TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2205 - Opening Day Photo TR!

I always found Ninja had a slight thrill factor due to the trees obstructing your path, but that factor is now gone. A lot of the trees have already been missing for some time since the accident, so it's not that shocking. Before they recently returned the second train, it made riding it almost pointless.

Anyhoo, I'm ecstatic to see them put up the first inversion. At this rate, we'll see it in the next week or so.

While it will probably make the ride less interesting (to be honest, after riding Eagles Fortress, all suspended coasters are boring!), it at least creates a nicer visual for the ride.
Interesting (Not saying youre wrong, I say that with no sarcasm). I always thought the thick greenery made for a better ride, owing to the whooshing through the trees. Kinda the same effect as feeling like go karts are faster than they are because of how low to the ground you are.
Ninja was always a mediocre ride that was a good family friendly "big" ride for kids. Now it's just easier to tell that's the case without the trees.
Agree with you there. It was never really a thrill ride, I always viewed it as a relaxing break since it is (or was) shaded.

I really don't get why this had to be done. I understand trimming around the "danger zones" very close to the track, but this just seems like overkill.

I guarantee it was dictated by their lawyers. Classic over reaction.

Bingo. A very unfortunate reality of the modern day amusement industry is that avoiding lawsuits (however frivolous) is the #1 priority in any decision making process.

Planning on heading to SFMM (first time!) in the rain tomorrow, 50% chance of rain apparently. I want to at least get credits for Tatsu, Yolo, and X2. (And take some photos of Twisted Colli's construction, of course.) How bad is it in the rain? Should I wear...goggles or anything? My last experience of rain in a theme park was at Knott's, and everything was basically a walk-on. It was real light, but still.

My guess would be they discovered that there could be issues with the other trees (maybe they were dying?), so the best option was to remove all the old ones and start fresh.

This seems more likely to me. While it would be easy to say that this is an overreaction at the behest of the lawyers, the fact that they put in new trees hints that they care at least a little bit, but there were likely issues that required the removal of the old ones. If the lawyers had said “You know, it would really reduce our potential liability here to just clear cut the hillside and leave it that way.” I doubt that MM would have given much push back and you wouldn’t see new trees planted. Just my 2 cents.