TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

Why are they removing the YOLO stage? They had some pretty cool shows on that stage. Well, the only shows that I know of. SFMM really needs shows!

It's seasonal. It was last year too.

Supposedly, Scream was meant for SFOT and they got the S&S Tower Complex (S:TOP) that was meant for SFMM. Rumor also has it that this drastic swticharoo was done immediately after CP announced Dragster.

This makes sense, because Scream is so out of place when you consider the direction MM was going in terms coaster installations at the time. They had just opened X and Deja Vu, which at the time were very innovative and cutting edge. It always struck me as strange that they'd follow up a 4D and GIB with a floorless clone

Supposedly, Scream was meant for SFOT and they got the S&S Tower Complex (S:TOP) that was meant for SFMM. Rumor also has it that this drastic swticharoo was done immediately after CP announced Dragster.

This makes sense, because Scream is so out of place when you consider the direction MM was going in terms coaster installations at the time. They had just opened X and Deja Vu, which at the time were very innovative and cutting edge. It always struck me as strange that they'd follow up a 4D and GIB with a floorless clone

I don't know where I heard it from, but I believe there was a reason they added Scream at that time. SFMM's goal for 2001 was to open 3 new rides: Deja Vu, X, and Goliath Jr. The only one that opened on-time was Goliath Jr; both Deja Vu and X were delayed due to mechanical issues. After opening Deja Vu late in 2001 and X in early 2002, SFMM wanted a reliable coaster next time. So the following year, 2003, they haphazardly added a B&M clone, knowing that it would be reliable and open on-time.

That's the story I was told, but like I said, I forgot where I heard it from and if it is true or not.

I don't know where I heard it from, but I believe there was a reason they added Scream at that time. SFMM's goal for 2001 was to open 3 new rides: Deja Vu, X, and Goliath Jr. The only one that opened on-time was Goliath Jr; both Deja Vu and X were delayed due to mechanical issues. After opening Deja Vu late in 2001 and X in early 2002, SFMM wanted a reliable coaster next time. So the following year, 2003, they haphazardly added a B&M clone, knowing that it would be reliable and open on-time.

That is all true because I remember when the guy form coaster studios said that.

That would have made far more sense to keep it the original intended way. SFOT was lacking a big multilooper, while SFMM never had a drop tower until very recently.

Scream might be the biggest ride that is most often forgotten about. The biggest problem it has is that it just does fit thr lineup of the park very well. In a park packed full of big multiloopers, Scream is often lost in the shadows.

But, now we finally have a ride that broke the trend of inversion packed rides, other than Apoc. and the (unintentionally inversion lacking) Green Lantern. For a nearly 5000 foot ride, it is pleasantly surprising that they went with 'only' two inversions.

But, now we finally have a ride that broke the trend of inversion packed rides, other than Apoc. and the (unintentionally inversion lacking) Green Lantern. For a nearly 5000 foot ride, it is pleasantly surprising that they went with 'only' two inversions.

So thankful SFMM only went for 2 inversions on TC! The park is WAYYYYYY TOOOOOO positive G heavy! I would be very happy to see SFMM's next chapter concentrate on the negative side ... AIRTIME PLEASE! Airtime along with a giga drop would be preferable

So thankful SFMM only went for 2 inversions on TC! The park is WAYYYYYY TOOOOOO positive G heavy! I would be very happy to see SFMM's next chapter concentrate on the negative side ... AIRTIME PLEASE! Airtime along with a giga drop would be preferable

Thinking about it, SFMM would be the best place to get a giga coaster that's more about airtime than speed. They have a hyper that is more about the forces and speed than anything else, and the park lacks airtime anywhere (except when TC opens.) I could honestly see that being their next coaster. They have been saving up these past years with the coasters only totaling around $10 million each.

Why would the announcement of TTD have any affect on what SFMM and SFOT were getting?

That would have made far more sense to keep it the original intended way. SFOT was lacking a big multilooper, while SFMM never had a drop tower until very recently.

Scream might be the biggest ride that is most often forgotten about. The biggest problem it has is that it just does fit thr lineup of the park very well. In a park packed full of big multiloopers, Scream is often lost in the shadows.

I definitely agree with this. While I like Scream, it has never really fit at SFMM, and if the park wasn't so concerned about their coaster count I wouldn't be surprised to see it shipped off to another park where it would fit better (Great America, Over Georgia, Over Texas, and St. Louis would be good places for it). SFMM did have Freefall until the mid-2000s, but once that ride left I kept hoping they would be getting a drop ride each year until they finally added Lex Luthor. I'm not sure if Disney's Space Shot exclusivity had anything to do with the switch or not, but that could have been an additional factor.

It's nice that the park went fairly light on inversions for Twisted Colossus. I was a bit worried the ride would go for the hybrid inversion record with 4-5, but it's only got two and they will enhance the experience more than a couple extra airtime hills would have (the ride will have plenty of airtime anyway).

Thinking about it, SFMM would be the best place to get a giga coaster that's more about airtime than speed. They have a hyper that is more about the forces and speed than anything else, and the park lacks airtime anywhere (except when TC opens.) I could honestly see that being their next coaster. They have been saving up these past years with the coasters only totaling around $10 million each.

As much as I would love to see a giga coaster at SFMM, I would be very surprised if it happened at any point in the near future. Six Flags as a company has stated that $20+ million investments are a thing of the past and since corporate pretty much decides on all the additions we'll probably see something along the lines of a Gerstlauer Eurofighter or B&M Wing Coaster as SFMM's 20th coaster. I'd love to be surprised by something else, but given what Full Throttle is vs. what it could have been, I'm doubting I will.

Why would the announcement of TTD have any affect on what SFMM and SFOT were getting?

It was rumored that SFMM was trying to keep up their coaster count. But this was all hearsay.

I'd love to be surprised by something else, but given what YOLOcoaster is vs. what it could have been, I'm doubting I will.

Has anyone given Premier a chance to build out a big/long coaster? I'm not sure if there is one. But I agree here, F.ull Th.rottle is actually a great ride (smooth and buttery + love that hang time on the vertical loop) ... but it really needs to be longer, and that trim on the downside of that top hat needs to get removed! The track from the downside to the station is not far so I see why they had to stop the train ASAP, but they should've designed it without BRAKING the train in the MIDDLE of a very steep drop in the first place! SIGH

Edited by ioio

I don't know if this is too forward thinking but Revolution's 40th anniversary is coming up next year. Does anyone else think that the park might buy new trains or something even though it will be an "off" year for the park (given that a major project is being done this year)? I mean, looking at X, Superman, and Colossus it seems that the park is into re-investing these coasters that sort of worn out/problematic.

I don't see Southern Californians ever understanding a B&M wing coaster. Everybody would just see it as a tame version of X2, no matter how cool they made it.

I don't think SFMM ever built a drop tower because, as mentioned, we had Freefall, KBF had Supreme Scream, and DLR had MaliBoomer. No need to invest millions into something that already exists nearby. They waited until they could announce something completely different, which they got with LLDOD.

I do like the idea of a hyper/giga coaster, but lets be real. We have been wishing for one of those at ANY of our parks for like 15 years now.

So anyway, after TC I'd love to see a sprucing up of Revolution and general improvements around the park. I really believe that the park doesn't NEED any more coasters after this (but omg we totally needed this!). We have one of the coolest collections of random and unique coasters you could possibly ask for. Yeah we don't have a Skyrush or a Maverick but who can say they have the random assortment we have?

^That's the thing...I pretty much always go to the park with different "GP" friends, and once we are done riding coasters, there is absolutely no reason to stick around. We usually end up leaving after 4 or 5 hours on a slow day. If they had some other attractions besides Jet Stream and Roaring Rapids, they might be able to keep me around for another few hours, and most importantly for them, a meal.

SFMM embraces who they are...a place with a bunch of coasters and nothing else. It works for them. Is it the most efficient business model? No way, since it is entirely dependent upon adding rides year after year.

They just added Holiday in the Park to try and "retain" guests (families) that would otherwise not visit the park or stay all day because they realize their investments need to come in the form of attractions.

I'm not buying a pass for the food, service, or how it looks under Scream (assuming they spruce it up). I'm bought a pass because it's a dirt cheap way to ride Twisted Colossus as much as I want.

Edited by Jew

I don't know if this is too forward thinking but Revolution's 40th anniversary is coming up next year. Does anyone else think that the park might buy new trains or something even though it will be an "off" year for the park (given that a major project is being done this year)? I mean, looking at X, Superman, and Colossus it seems that the park is into re-investing these coasters that sort of worn out/problematic.

This

Visited the park yesterday for the first time in a few months and overall had a good day. The longest wait of the day was 15 minutes for Tatsu, everything else was pretty much a walk on. As what has been discussed before Apocalypse has not aged well in its short five years of operation, the jackhammering is prevalent, especially in the tunnel before the station fly through. It's sad to see a GCI turn to crap so fast, I used to really enjoy Apocalypse and now it is a one and done ride. I can't help but think negatively towards SFMM for what seems to be a complete lack of care for their rides, I don't see this happening at another park. SFMM is still pretty gross too, queue lines have a noticeable amount of garbage in them, but I guess when your focus is xtreme thrill on top of xtreme thrill this kind of thing tends to happen.

There were some positives throughout the day, X2 and Batman were both running better than they have been in a long time providing for some very enjoyable rides.Twisted Colossus looks great in person, that RMC crew is fast at what they do. I'm really hoping SFMM can get something right with Colossus and the new Screampunk district. Hopefully this will be a chance for the park to improve the offerings that they already have and clean the place up, but I'm not holding my breath.

^That's the thing...I pretty much always go to the park with different "GP" friends, and once we are done riding coasters, there is absolutely no reason to stick around. We usually end up leaving after 4 or 5 hours on a slow day. If they had some other attractions besides Jet Stream and Roaring Rapids, they might be able to keep me around for another few hours, and most importantly for them, a meal.
They should probably also start serving some decent meal. Currently I don't eat at the park no matter how long I'm there. (Havent tried the FT Sports Bar yet..I hear it's servings are edible)