TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I do very much like this. This has so much of the iconic look and feel of Colossus, vastly updated to provide a fun, updated, exciting ride. So many coasters have track that crisscross in structure, and images and ads emphasize it, but the reality is that two trains never cross in that way. Keeping the tracks separate and having long form inversions right over the other track is such a cool effect. Hopefully, they can maintain that kind of operation. Well done.

Watching that vid not only has me excited, but heartbroken because we're NEVER gonna see two trains side-by-side ever again after the first few weeks of operation.

it's not a racer...it's one track with 2 lift hills. so, i hope there is something that can sync the trains on the lift.

The press release says

Four minutes of thrills on nearly 5,000 feet of track

That length doesn't match up at all with it being one long ride, wouldn't that mean it's staying the same as a racer with two sides?

Pay very careful attention to the video at 1:21 this is where the blue track turns green and then goes up the lift hill. It is ONE track that races. Each track goes around the old footprint once instead of twice when it was a wooden racer. Hence 5,000 feet of track. The layout has been shortened.

it's not a racer...it's one track with 2 lift hills. so, i hope there is something that can sync the trains on the lift.

That's what I mean. The vid shows two trains at least near each other when on the lift hills, and the likelihood we'll see that occurring ever again is once in a blue moon (if the things I've heard about operations is true).

Granted, I'm still excited to see the West Coast finally getting an RMC!

I agree, "racing" for the first year. I'm impressed that they are actually going to keep the "Original Colossus" aesthetic. 2 lifts though, damn. That NoLimits YouTube video from earlier this year was dead on. Should be an impressive ride nonetheless. Admittedly, I do have severe Wicked Cyclone envy after watching that video...

I like that Jim cut his monologue short this year. The Chicago Bulls intro was a nice touch too.

Edited by kongker

That's what I mean. The vid shows two trains at least near each other when on the lift hills, and the likelihood we'll see that occurring ever again is once in a blue moon (if the things I've heard about operations is true).

Granted, I'm still excited to see the West Coast finally getting an RMC!

that's why i'm hoping there is some sensor that at least if they get close on the lift, they can speed one up or slow one down so they get close. seems kind of silly to advertise the high 5 without something in place. but who knows. i'm just ecstatic about this new ride!

The new area will be themed to "Back Alley", should be interesting to see how they work that into the surroundings....Back Alley, huh!

Agreed. They had the "Back Street" from 1987-1993 under Joe Schillaci's management only to swap it out for Gotham. Funny that they're sort of returning to that rather than expanding on the psuedo-mythological theme of Goliath.

I do not like to say this without actually riding the ride or at least seeing videos of the ride in action, but I think Twisted Colossus is definitely a top 10 coaster and, with the dueling aspect, could be a serious contender for best coaster in the United States.

The ride is long, but never dull. It looks plenty intense, yet not so intense as to not be re-rideable. There are inversions, there is airtime, there is interaction between the racing trains...basically, the ride has something for everyone. Best of all, while not identical to the original Colossus, the ride resembles it enough to mitigate most of the complaints out there. Finally, if the ride actually does run four trains as I suspect it will, this would probably be the highest capacity coaster at SFMM.

Well done, RMC, and well done, SFMM. Now don't even think about doing anything to screw this up.

So, after reviewing the video some more and adding to my first post earlier, I now realize that although this looks like a racer, it is in fact a single track with two lift hills. I'll be honest, this kinda of reminds me of The Beast, but on steroids, and with both lifts side by side. Since this isn't technically a racer then, it'll be interesting to see how they manage to try to race this thing since they designed it like it will race (ie the high five element, and the track interactions with both tracks) Just observations I'm making, and no complaints here about what they decided to do. We finally have a RMC, and it's a unique one!

Wow. This really exceeded my expectations and after experiencing 3 of RMCs fine creations, I'm definitely looking foreword to this ride. I particularly like the green and blue color scheme. It really makes the ride pop. I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a new SFMM ride. Great job Six Flags Magic Mountain.

I kinda hope SFMM checks people to make sure they aren't carrying loose objects before they get in line. Don't need a dueling dragons situation to happen causing trains never to be close to each other again.

Also it looks fantastic, more then I could of envisioned for it.

It took me a few seconds to realize just how the layout worked with the two lift hills. The high 5 and inversions over each other was something I invision happening and love seeing it come true. Looks like a fun coaster.