TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I am wondering as to why there is a page titled "Classic Colossus". I'm guessing that it'll just be an article on the history of the original ride, but I'm wondering if they'll keep one side the original way. Sure, it'd be a stupid decision, but I wouldn't put it past SFMM.

I am really looking forward to what RMC does with this massive structure. It should be spectacular, whatever they do with it.

Well, maybe, just maybe, They'll tear out both sides, but keep one side with the original layout (double down and everything), made with topper track. The other side will be "twisted", and include all the elements and RMC craziness we all know and love. Now, this is probably just as stupid an idea, but like Woodie Warrior wrote, I wouldn't put it past the park to do something like this.

As bad as we all know it would be for the park to keep two sides running, it would be cool to see them take two different roads. Make one side very twisty, and keep the other classic and maybe add a few surprises. Or maybe they could even make the two tracks continuous and keep one station open. Two coaster experiences in one.

I think that as bad as it would be, the park is looking to keep two tracks.

Are there any other construction pics from this weekend/week?

Been wondering whether or not the current lift hill will be modified (ie: NTG at SFOT) or completely replaced (ie: Goliath at SFGAm). I'm guessing a steel structure would easily allow the height to reach probably close to 200 feet? Also curious as to the final speed and color scheme of the new structure. This is exciting stuff and I'm definitely pumped for Thursday.

I don't have any photos, but I've heard that they've removed some track pre-lift on the side that hasn't been used for a few years.

Thanks SFMMGeek77 for the update/reply! I'm so thirsty for any new "_____ Colossus" news it's ridiculous, lol.

They could call it "Vagina Colossus" and people would still just call it "Colossus."

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would definitely call it Vagina.

Edit - Ooooo, "Colossal Vagina" would work! I'd just have to clarify if I'm talking about the ride or my ex girlfriends.

TAKE THE TUNNEL!!

I know this was pages back but OMG it had me rolling!!! Post of the week anyone?

Actually, you know Robb, that would be something really cool to do with the forums... Post of the week...

I'm really hoping everything "classic" about Colossus will stay in the history books. The two ride concept strikes me as outright confusing to a GP which just rode the "last ride on Colossus".

Still really excited for what RMC does with this design.

They could call it "Vagina Colossus" and people would still just call it "Colossus."

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would definitely call it Vagina.

Edit - Ooooo, "Colossal Vagina" would work! I'd just have to clarify if I'm talking about the ride or my ex girlfriends.

TAKE THE TUNNEL!!

I know this was pages back but OMG it had me rolling!!! Post of the week anyone?

Actually, you know Robb, that would be something really cool to do with the forums... Post of the week...

This made me rofl, and I'm sure many other TPR members did the same!

Totally second your post of the week idea though. Robb, if you could set something up, that'd be awesome! Who else is with me?

As for Colossus, I can't wait for the announcement! Just two more days! Knowing RMC, it should be amazing no matter what SF does to screw it up lol

Edited by canadianparkfan

VIA screamscape

2015 - Twisted Colossus - (8/26/14) Coaster-Net did some incredible digging into the official Six Flags website and using their knowledge of Drupal, the content management system Six Flags uses for it, apparently they were able to pull the names for many of the new 2015 attractions to be announced on Thursday.

According to their report the new name for the cyborg/hybrid version of Colossus in 2015 will be Twisted Colossus. Not sure I like that one… Iron Colossus just had a nice ring to it to me. Maybe even paint it black and called Dark Colossus… but Twisted Colossus? Ehhhh… ok… maybe it will grow on me.

I’m hearing an early rumor that the first drop on Twisted Colossus may be a very epic new creation you won’t soon forget. According to the early rumor, the trains may actually roll you over upside-down before taking a damn near vertical drop, where they will continue to twist and roll you around 180º to face forward once again before pulling out. I’m picturing this to be something kind of like the twisted roll-drop you get on Top Thrill Dragster or Kingda Ka, but entering into it like Gatekeeper. Sounds “Twisted” doesn’t it? Ok, maybe the name does fit...

My nightmares have come true!!! Were getting a twisted drop ((( So disappointed!!!

I don't get this.

I'll freely and openly admit that I'm new around these parts, and that I've only been to SFMM probably five or six times.

My impression with all of this though is that Colossus at the end was just a big bundle of suck -- poorly maintained -- made me sad whenever I rode it as clearly SFMM wasn't taking care of it, at all. (That's generally my impression of all the SFMM coasters, by the way... if the ride wears poorly, it just ends up being terrible eventually, and very little effort is put into rehabbing and refurbing rides.)

ANY RMC conversion will be a huge upgrade.

The twisted drop sounds fun and interesting. I especially like the idea of twisting as you come over the top of the lift hill, so you are inside the drop. If that drop is vertical, so much the better, and then you could swoop out of it or possibly do a fly to lie or similar.

Given the relative intensity of Tatsu, Goliath and even YOLOCoaster, I have to think that the new Twisted Colossus is going to be somewhat extreme, which again, suits SFMM and the demographic perfectly. If you want a nice amusement park ride, with good theming, go to Disneyland or Knott's. If you want serious coasters, head north to Six Flags.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more details on this particular conversion -- I think it's very challenging, actually, given how vanilla the Colossus layout was -- as opposed to something like SFNE Cyclone which kind of lends itself to an extreme conversion more readily.

My nightmares have come true!!! Were getting a twisted drop ((( So disappointed!!!

I'll freely and openly admit that I'm new around these parts, and that I've only been to SFMM probably five or six times.

Having been around coaster sites for the last 16 years one of the things I have learned is that no matter what the ride, the immediate reaction to it is going to be one of disappointment.

^ That's interesting and thanks for the explanation. I never read any coaster related sites until just the last few months.

I'm definitely of the "my favorite coaster is whatever coaster I've ridden recently that really impressed me" camp -- I'm a rider, not a counter, and look at different coasters a bit like different types of food, or music, or art. Some of what happens with a ride is personal taste. It's difficult for me to say a ride sucks, or is terrible -- you can compare rides in the same genre and say one is slower, faster, more interesting, unique, etc but again, different people might have different opinions. (I know people who think Tatsu is too intense, while others just love love love it.)

So I haven't experienced this phenomenon of the Internet message board and the new coaster announcement where some subset of the fan base announce "eh, that's going to suck" in response to whatever announcement happens. No experience with it, but I understand the impulse, certainly everyone has their own personal favorite elements that they'd like to see and given that most parks only get a new coaster every few years, if a new ride doesn't have those elements, well, it could be a while before you get what you want.

That said, in this particular case, I still kind of don't get it. SFMM has a really interesting array of coasters -- pretty much none of them are the best in class for the kind of ride they are, but they are all probably in the top three to five or so in the US for that particular style -- but they were missing a hybrid wood steel coaster, and now they'll have one. I'm hoping it'll have a bigger drop and higher speeds than SFMM Goliath, plus inversions, but will be satisfied if it's just a massive improvement over the old Colossus, and let's face it, pretty much no matter what they do, the new ride will be an improvement... smoother, more reliable, higher speeds, better throughput...