TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

Dueling Colossus.

Why? Well, this is Six Flags, they've really got two types of ride names lately. Either thinly-veiled racism (Zumanjaro, Kingda Ka) or blatantly obvious (Iron Rattler, New Texas Giant).

Or if neither of those work, they just go with Goliath.

"Greezed Lightnin'"

they still have those old Astroworld signs laying around

From TPR twitter

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408216911.067667.jpg[/attachment]

wow. . the Westboro Baptist Church really have lost their way since Fred Phelps died.

Here are my experiences with racing coasters-

Colossus - 100% non-racing, 0% racing

American Eagle - 80% non-racing, 20% racing (and didn't even get to go on it while the red site was running.)

Gemini - 60-80% racing, 20-40% non-racing.

Gemini frequently runs solo in the morning, and has the issues of blocking off cars and running one train empty, but it typically races on reasonably busy days.

We must be visiting the parks on different days

American Eagle was racing all 3 times I was at the park this year, and Gemini was racing maybe 50% of the time(I hit up cp 12 times this summer). I can't say much about colossus racing as I have only been to the park twice in the past 10 years and only remember it racing once.

There have been several times that I have waited in line for gemini the past few summers and had to wait in a 15-20 min line with only one side running.Still not a bad line, but only running one side of a racing coaster is taking away most of the fun and point of riding a racing coaster in the first lace.

I can also say that lightning racer was also racing every time I visit Hershey park.

My guess is Ultimate Colossus. Why?

-Well, today Robb posted this video titled "Ultimate Colossus ..."

• Robb has inside knowledge into the amusement industry.

• There are 3 pov's of Colossus in the video.

• Robb previously worked in the video game industry.

• There are 3 'S's in Colossus

Now what does this mean - Ultimate Colossus and Half Life 3 CONFIRMED

If you look closely at this teaser for the 2015 new attraction that was posted on the Six Flags Magic Mountain Facebook page, under the section for the first names it says, "If your first name starts with an "U", your roller coaster first name is Ultimate, and under the section for the last names it says, "If your last name starts with a "C" your roller coaster last name is Colossus. I think your speculation might be correct and that this is a teaser for the name, "Ultimate Colossus",

for the rumored transformation of Colossus into an RMC hybrid coaster for the 2015 season next year.

image.thumb.jpg.9358832c2fa599491be81792af9c9e5f.jpg

My guess is Ultimate Colossus. Why?

-Well, today Robb posted this video titled "Ultimate Colossus ..."

• Robb has inside knowledge into the amusement industry.

• There are 3 pov's of Colossus in the video.

• Robb previously worked in the video game industry.

• There are 3 'S's in Colossus

Now what does this mean - Ultimate Colossus and Half Life 3 CONFIRMED

Post of the century.

Here are my experiences with racing coasters-

Colossus - 100% non-racing, 0% racing

American Eagle - 80% non-racing, 20% racing (and didn't even get to go on it while the red site was running.)

Gemini - 60-80% racing, 20-40% non-racing.

Gemini frequently runs solo in the morning, and has the issues of blocking off cars and running one train empty, but it typically races on reasonably busy days.

We must be visiting the parks on different days

American Eagle was racing all 3 times I was at the park this year, and Gemini was racing maybe 50% of the time(I hit up cp 12 times this summer). I can't say much about colossus racing as I have only been to the park twice in the past 10 years and only remember it racing once.

There have been several times that I have waited in line for gemini the past few summers and had to wait in a 15-20 min line with only one side running.Still not a bad line, but only running one side of a racing coaster is taking away most of the fun and point of riding a racing coaster in the first lace.

I can also say that lightning racer was also racing every time I visit Hershey park.

On a typical day, Gemini opens with red side and the blue side opens at 11:30. On cold or windy days, Gemini is at a high risk to valley, so if you see one loaded train and one empty train, the empty train will have sandbags in it and will continue to cycle without riders until there are enough people in line to consistently fill both trains. This is pretty rare but happens usually in May and during Halloweekends. Also, Gemini only runs one side toward the end of August and occasionally beginning of May as staffing levels are lower due to many of the employees going to school. CP doesn't have the advantage of being in a big city, so nearly all seasonal employees come from far distances and can't always work while going to school.

Went to Magic Mountain to get that last ride for the heck of it, and hopefully get a pin. Waited roughly 50 minutes. Also got lucky to get the front row. I honestly hadn't ridden forward in a while. Honestly can't remember the last time I rode Colossus forward. I did ride reverse earlier this year, and it was the worst ride I've ever had. Today, in the red train, front row, was the complete opposite. I was totally amazed at how smooth it was, at least in the front. I think I could have done the 36 hour! lol

Anyway, excited to see what's next.

On another note, TPR's Twitter is complaining that the ride is only running one side on its final day. Hasn't the other side been left to rot since 2008 or so?

Yeah the right side is not in operable condition. Running it today was not an option, they would have to have started rehabbing it a long time ago and they arent going to do that just to shut it down again.

I would be insanly happy if they just add topper track to both sides and restore it to its original form
Me too, but if that was all they were going to do they wouldn't be promoting the end of the ride like they are.

On another note, TPR's Twitter is complaining that the ride is only running one side on its final day. Hasn't the other side been left to rot since 2008 or so?

Yeah the right side is not in operable condition. Running it today was not an option, they would have to have started rehabbing it a long time ago and they arent going to do that just to shut it down again.

I thought they ran both sides at least as recently as 2012 Fright Fest? Did they not run forwards AND backwards for 2013 Fright Fest?

I thought they ran both sides at least as recently as 2012 Fright Fest? Did they not run forwards AND backwards for 2013 Fright Fest?

I believe 2011 was the last time they ran both for fright fest (I rode it during FF 2012 and only they were only running the left side with B&M trains), and I could be mistaken but to my memory I think 2011 FF is the last time the right side has been run at all. They definitely weren't using it at all during 2013. In the last couple years you could see the condition of the tracks and lift deteriorate as time went on, it looked completely abandoned as though they had made a planned decision to let it go.

The local cbs news had a nice Colossus farewell report, most importantly, at the end the reporter mentions that the park told him that fans will be happy with the new addition and it will uses at least part of the old structure.

I think this is the first that some "reliable" news confirms a Colossus refurb

Here is the video

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=10481475