TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

The last two posts are very strange to me - why does this ride have a higher liability? And how do you know it's not going anywhere?

Am I wrong in saying that it looks like a tree uprooted a bit and literally leaned against the track? I keep seeing "branch" used, but some of the pictures I've seen look to be more than just a branch....

2. So is the park now closed or just the back half?

The park is definitely still open outside of where all the emerg vehicles are. As the chopper was leaving the scene they zoomed in on other areas of the park, saw trains cycling on other coasters, even the concert was still going on in YOLOPLaza.

Stupid pilot..as he was leaving we got this quote "Why couldnt this have happened on a ride more out in the open?"

Well if nothing else the front car that derailed held and did not crash to the ground.

Thank you! Tired of the people spouting this "Ugh that ride was old and rickety this isnt surprising" ignorance.

Six Flags Magic Mountain released a statement at 8:38 p.m.: "Earlier this evening, a tree branch fell on the track of the roller coaster, Ninja, obstructing the train. Park medical staff and local paramedics were immediately called to the scene. Of the 22 guests safely evacuated, two were transported to a local hospital for precautionary measures."

http://abc7.com/news/magic-mountain-ninja-roller-coaster-accident-4-injured/166567/

Stupid pilot..as he was leaving we got this quote "Why couldnt this have happened on a ride more out in the open?"

The crazy part was when he said to the other guy "Have you taken your pill yet? *Heavy breathing*." I don't even know what to think about that one.

In my opinion Six flags just pulled a great and professional operation. They cleared a full vallied train with one whole vehicle hanging freely in just about two hours. Lets remember that they were not in a easy to reach place. Lets also keep in mind that they acted quickly and even had emergency lights up before sun down. Mother nature is probably to blame as poor Ninja was just the outcome of mother nature. We cant blame anyone until someone confirms what exactly happened. Mother nature is sometimes unpredictable even if that tree happened to be tested the day before doesn't mean it'll be strong the fallowing day. Kudos six flags maintenance team and firefighters for an excellent evacuation!

The last two posts are very strange to me - why does this ride have a higher liability? And how do you know it's not going anywhere?

I said its not not going anywhere because this isn't enough of a reason for a park to spend millions removing a ride due to an act of nature. The tree falling on to the track causing a derailment has nothing to do with the rides reliability or how it operates. They'll probably just fix the train, remove the tree along with any other questionable trees in the area, and have it cleared for operation again soon.

Aside from all of the mindless banter and speculation. I just want to say I'm thankful there are only minor injuries and for the most part everyone is okay. This is an example of how safety systems are and why there are so many wheels keeping trains on the tracks. Things happen and there are many moving parts. I am thankful that this awesome ride kept the passengers as safe as possible.

2. So is the park now closed or just the back half?

The park is definitely still open outside of where all the emerg vehicles are. As the chopper was leaving the scene they zoomed in on other areas of the park, saw trains cycling on other coasters, even the concert was still going on in YOLOPLaza.

Well if nothing else the front car that derailed held and did not crash to the ground.

Thank you! Tired of the people spouting this "Ugh that ride was old and rickety this isnt surprising" ignorance.

Me too.

I'll also say it looks like the park handled this situation very well.

I didn't hear any of the ignorance the news chopper pilot was spouting.. I guess it's good I didnt.

Dumb tv news people.

Seeing this at first reminded me of Mindbender at Galaxyland but luckily there was no problem in design and upkeep of the ride - and that the impact was far less and all riders will mostly get off with more or less serious bruises. I guess this went out VERY lucky.

Nevertheless I think this will the end to well shaded rides as it is a valid point to ask why branches of trees were hanging over the coaster. I do not know for rides but here it is forbidden by the law for branches or trees to hang over power lines and railway tracks - even if they still do damage by collapsing sideways - and more and more area is cleared here because of that. Generally I think the same should apply to amusement rides - OR every tree must be checked anually by a gardener.

I always thought they overreacted at Expedition Everest and Kali River Rapids when they chopped down alllllll the bamboo surrounding the rides. Not that a stick of bamboo would derail a train, but still. I wonder if we'll be seeing a lot more "deforestation" around roller coasters in the future.

I absolutely cannot stand how most people are so quick to judge. People on Facebook were automatically spewing out how this happened due to the park's negligence.

This one guy on our local news page went on a rant about how Six Flags doesn't care about the safety of their customers and how their so negligent that, and I quote, "people have been dying on their rides for decades". I replied with "So, if a tree in your yard falls because of a big thunderstorm and lands on someone's car, that must make you negligent too, right? You must not care about the safety of your family or neighbors."

Oh well, I'm still going to Magic Mountain in a couple of weeks. Shame that Ninja most likely won't be open. I'm glad that no one was seriously hurt. This whole thing could have been way worse. Almost as worse as how the media initially made it out to be. Our local station had a headline of "4 people hurt as roller coaster CRASHES at Magic Mountain!"

I just rode Ninja yesterday! That's crazy! As of yesterday around 2PM when I rode, everything seemed perfectly fine, and I believe I rode in train 3 as well! I didn't see any trees anywhere near falling! So this must've happened really quickly!

Well, I'm glad I rode it yesterday and not today at least.

God lord, what a tragedy. I'm relieved to see that everyone on the ride is okay, especially after seeing that Reddit picture of the impact that the train left on that tree. It's rather obvious that Ninja is about to have a long period of downtime to get everything cleaned up, but I'd really hate to see it being forcibly removed altogether just to satisfy any concerned members of the general public. I live 3000 miles away and I've had the privilege of riding this coaster once, as well as the now-defunct Big Bad Wolf, and it would be such a shame if another popular suspended coaster would have to be removed so suddenly because of an unpredictable accident.

I absolutely cannot stand how most people are so quick to judge. People on Facebook were automatically spewing out how this happened due to the park's negligence.

This one guy on our local news page went on a rant about how Six Flags doesn't care about the safety of their customers and how their so negligent that, and I quote, "people have been dying on their rides for decades". I replied with "So, if a tree in your yard falls because of a big thunderstorm and lands on someone's car, that must make you negligent too, right? You must not care about the safety of your family or neighbors."

Oh well, I'm still going to Magic Mountain in a couple of weeks. Shame that Ninja most likely won't be open. I'm glad that no one was seriously hurt. This whole thing could have been way worse. Almost as worse as how the media initially made it out to be. Our local station had a headline of "4 people hurt as roller coaster CRASHES at Magic Mountain!"

That guy is a frikin moron and should be banned from the internet. I'm curious to see what his response to your post is if he has any guts.... idiot.

And I still don't get why people are so quick to say it's the end of this ride when this was a random act of nature NOT A MECHANICAL DEFECT OR MALFUNCTION IN ANY CASE..... it hit a friggin tree that fell on it.... what do you think would happen? Actually.... nobody knows but what happened today is one possible outcome.

I wish people would think more before they knee jerk post about things like this. We don't even know all the facts yet.

Actually seeing as no one was killed (thank goodness) and the incident didn't occur on a lift or break run, it's conceivable that the ride could be running the 1 remaining working train by then. I kinda doubt it, but it's not impossible.

If the track has not been damaged really all they need to do is remove this train. If that's the case it should be back open soon. Oh yeah and the fallen tree.

Of course I would think they will be inspecting all the trees along the course before they reopen it.

^agreed. As we have luckily no major injuries one can right go to learn what caused this and make sure it will not happen again. So they either check all trees by professionals or chop all trees with overhanging branches - which would be on the safer side.

Some above asked as if you are liable if a tree in your garden falls on some others car? I do not know for the US but in Germany you are! It is your tree and you have to make sure - by for example having the tree checked regulary by a gardener - your tree will not hurt others or their property. I know this because I formerly worked as a civil servant for a city and we had our own gardeners employed doing these checks on all trees on public ground.

This excludes of course damage during (!) storms of a certain magnitude. After a storm however you have to check for storm damage and take appropriate action.

Edited by simon8899