TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2228 - Wonder Woman Flight of Courage REAL POV!

Did the train derail and then hit a tree, or did it derail because it hit a tree? So far I've been unable to tell.

If a tree somehow slumped against the track, that would be a huge problem for the guide wheels and the chassis. But if the chassis broke, the train wouldn't have to wander very far in order to hit a tree. So far it's all sounding like it derailed because of a fallen/slumped tree but can't really get anything definitive.

Don't expect the news coverage to provide much. The "COASTERS ARE ALL DEATH TRAPS!!!" machine is on its way if it hasn't already begun.

The news should reassure people that coasters are safe. The accident itself is shocking enough.

I feel like the media always blow things like this out of proportion when instead they should be ensuring the public that occurrences like this are extremely rare and that all amusement rides certified to operate are completely and totally safe. Unfortunately that doesn't happen.

Seems like they're taking a while to investigate the front car. I've only been watching for a couple of minutes, have they successfully evacuated everyone?

Wow, I'm surprised this didn't turn out worse than it did. From the pictures, it sounds like the train ran head-on into a fallen tree and derailed. Terrible for all the people involved, especially those with any injuries resulting from this accident, but fortunately nobody was killed or permanently injured (at least as far as we know now). I really hope this isn't the end of the ride, but given the ride's age and lack of popularity it wouldn't surprise me if it is retired soon. It will probably depend how severe the damage is.

Did the train derail and then hit a tree, or did it derail because it hit a tree? So far I've been unable to tell.

If a tree somehow slumped against the track, that would be a huge problem for the guide wheels and the chassis. But if the chassis broke, the train wouldn't have to wander very far in order to hit a tree. So far it's all sounding like it derailed because of a fallen/slumped tree but can't really get anything definitive.

Don't expect the news coverage to provide much. The "COASTERS ARE ALL DEATH TRAPS!!!" machine is on its way if it hasn't already begun.

The news should reassure people that coasters are safe. The accident itself is shocking enough.

Maybe then theme parks should, I dunno, take care of their stuff and not let trees fall over on operating rides. I'm honestly at a complete loss for trees falling down on an average day in any park in the country. Tree branches, I can think of one example. A whole tree? Trees don't just fall over when the weather is nice.

Maybe then theme parks should, I dunno, take care of their stuff and not let trees fall over on operating rides. I'm honestly at a complete loss for trees falling down on an average day in any park in the country. Tree branches, I can think of one example. A whole tree? Trees don't just fall over when the weather is nice.

Well, unless there's an earthquake.

1. Just because a tree branch fell on Ninja why do you think it would be the end of the ride? This could happen to any coaster that has trees around it and if it did does that then mean it's the end of that ride? Why would people say this?

2. So is the park now closed or just the back half?

3. ^Earthquake yesterday... hmm... could have something to do with it.

Edited by Tmcdllr

1. Just because a tree branch fell on Ninja why do you think it would be the end of the ride? This could happen to any coaster that has trees around it and if it did does that then mean it's the end of that ride? Why would people say this?

2. So is the park now closed or just the back half?

3. ^Earthquake yesterday... hmm... could have something to do with it.

For what I know the park is still open.

^^There was a small earthquake in Southern California yesterday. It's possible that caused the tree to shift and become unstable.

If a small earthquake 120 miles away causes trees to fall down a day later, its a miracle then that it never happened before. They should close the whole "mountain" area and start checking roots then....

"Where did the rest of the ride go? Did it fall?"

Someone fire this guy. He shouldn't be saying this stuff on a live stream.

It's the helicopter pilots talking on all the feeds. I doubt they care.

Darn. Two accidents in one day. Why do accidents always happen in pairs (this and NTAG-Shoot the Rapids)? This has not been a good day for amusement parks.

As least no one was killed.

Edited by VF15

Anyone else realize this is the second major tree-related accident this year at SFMM? Revolution had major damage due to a tree falling on the tracks in I think it was January or so, fortunately I dont think anyone was on it at the time. Groundskeeping crew might have some questions to answer if the earthquake isn't to blame, and even if it is I feel they should have seen this, should have looked for unstable trees/branches even if they knew an earthquake occurred in the area.

Anyone else realize this is the second major tree-related accident this year at SFMM? Revolution had major damage due to a tree falling on the tracks in I think it was January or so, fortunately I dont think anyone was on it at the time. Groundskeeping crew might have some questions to answer if the earthquake isn't to blame, and even if it is I feel they should have seen this, should have looked for unstable trees/branches even if they knew an earthquake occurred in the area.

Oh yeah. Their tree maintenance seems to be lacking.