TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Wow!! Looks like RMC might possibly do some magic on Colossus! Can't wait to see what's in store!

Let's take this opportunity to go back to 1978 to check out Colossus in it's prime form. I found this video of a bunch of news reel footage of when Colossus first opened.

Notice the wicked airtime hill coming out of the second drop. If RMC is indeed coming to renovate, I know they'll take Colossus and do something incredible with it.

Wow, what a surprise! This could be interesting though, with Colossus (almost guaranteed) getting the Iron Horse in 2015 (unless it's delayed to 2016...) and Cyclone at SFNE in a similar situation (but not yet confirmed), what does this mean for the other SF parks? Does anyone know the cost of an RMC Iron Horse redo as compared to a complete RMC start to finish coaster? What I'm getting at is whether or not another coaster will be built start to finish at a SF park. The last two or three years it has been one Iron Horse and one new coaster. In 2015 we will likely see two Iron Horse projects.

Edited by Password121

Wow!! Looks like RMC might possibly do some magic on Colossus! Can't wait to see what's in store!

Let's take this opportunity to go back to 1978 to check out Colossus in it's prime form. I found this video of a bunch of news reel footage of when Colossus first opened.

Notice the wicked airtime hill coming out of the second drop. If RMC is indeed coming to renovate, I know they'll take Colossus and do something incredible with it.

OMG! 1:43 of that video is amazing!!! LMAO!!!

LOL it looks like the guy sitting next to him at 1:25 during the reverse POV is wearing iPhone headphones!

As for the coaster, I'm expecting a higher lift, steeper drop, restoration of the double up, low bunny hills for negative G's, maybe even some zero g rolls, stalls, overbanks obviously. Maybe the tracks will even twist around one another rather than stay parallel but that may not be the case. A 2016 opening? It took nTAG two years.

Edited by Goooose

I'm all for RMC coming in and doing a renovation. I'm also all for preserving the classics. It seems like RMC has only come in to do something with the not-as-old but broken woodies. Colossus is old and not as broken based on what I've read, so I personally would have tried to preserve it. BUT, there is another wooden coaster in the park and there is a plethora of things RMC can do to make this classic new and amazing and I'm excited to see what they will do! (Assuming we do get it)

I could portentially see a record for steepest drop and an inversion record because of the track length; they have a little more to work with. I'm excited to see what they will do; should be a very interesting, but lengthy project so I can't wait to get an official announcement and begin following progress!

I have family that lives near the park so I may have to make a visit in a couple of years!

I'm all for RMC coming in and doing a renovation. I'm also all for preserving the classics. It seems like RMC has only come in to do something with the not-as-old but broken woodies. Colossus is old and not as broken based on what I've read, so I personally would have tried to preserve it. BUT, there is another wooden coaster in the park and there is a plethora of things RMC can do to make this classic new and amazing and I'm excited to see what they will do! (Assuming we do get it)

I could portentially see a record for steepest drop and an inversion record because of the track length; they have a little more to work with. I'm excited to see what they will do; should be a very interesting, but lengthy project so I can't wait to get an official announcement and begin following progress!

I have family that lives near the park so I may have to make a visit in a couple of years!

The ride, like so many older coasters, has been neutered though. There are breaks where there once weren't, track has been flattened where there used to be good ejector air. With RMC's computer aided design, new trains, and newer lapbars/seatbelts/leg restraints, the coaster will be allowed to do things that it once was doing but have since been discontinued.

^ Last year it was one of the last days of August.

Well we all saw it coming. Heck, they stopped running the one side ages ago. So heres my two cents about what they need to do to this. Make each side different. Different maneuvers and make them duel and race. Have the track do a barrel roll, flipping the track over to the other side. Have them intertwine. Have each side have different epic elements. To turn around, one side has an overbank, the other has a dive loop. Have one side do a vertical drop, the other has the Medusa: Steel Coaster drop. You get the point. Will all of that happen? Probably not. The other thing I'd like to see is a different color of track other than orange or red. I'd be interested in seeing how the color works with the white wood, since this would be the first RMC hybrid that doesn't have the traditional brown wood.

I've been stalking this rumor for years for this moment, and now... it's here, and it's coming... I'm SO EXCITED! Can't wait to see what RMC has in store for Colossus. Now it remains to be seen if Colossus will keep both tracks...

yup, me too. I was intrigued by this rumor when it surfaced years ago. Screamscape (I know, I know) has been proclaiming that it will "break records." Does make you wonder if they will get a 200 ft drop out of it. That would make a 105ft overbank / near inversion on the turn-around work just fine building off the existing structure.

It is odd to consider how to best use the existing structure in a cost-effective way, particularly if you don't keep the racing environment.

Isn't it far more plausible that they're simply going to remove the ride outright? I mean, they did just install a new ride last season.

I'm seeing speculation online that there's some super-mega-dueling dragons-esque RMC makeover, and while that would be awesome it doesn't seem practical at the moment, especially given that Full Throttle opened < 1 calendar year ago.

I'm all for some awesome speculation, but I think in this case we need to be a little more practical.

^ Last year it was one of the last days of August.

Well we all saw it coming. Heck, they stopped running the one side ages ago. So heres my two cents about what they need to do to this. Make each side different. Different maneuvers and make them duel and race. Have the track do a barrel roll, flipping the track over to the other side. Have them intertwine. Have each side have different epic elements. To turn around, one side has an overbank, the other has a dive loop. Have one side do a vertical drop, the other has the Medusa: Steel Coaster drop. You get the point. Will all of that happen? Probably not. The other thing I'd like to see is a different color of track other than orange or red. I'd be interested in seeing how the color works with the white wood, since this would be the first RMC hybrid that doesn't have the traditional brown wood.

Love that idea. would be a great concept, but probably won't fly because of the extra design costs and likely construction complications. but who knows. they sure have a lot of support structure and space to work with. I do wonder if they decide to make it all one track, they could easily beat the longest coaster record - 8000+ feet, right? So, if you extend the lift hill to 200ft you could easily make that circuit work impressively.

Whatever this turns out to be, I just hope finally MM has a coaster that is top ten worthy. I hope they go for length rather than height, airtime rather than speed, and brake free rather than high capacity.

I gotta be honest here, and I mean it in the best way possible just to discuss it, but I would not have guessed that the description you provided was for Magic Mountain. Just breaking it down: X2 and Tatsu are very much top ten worthy. Goliath is tall but it is extremely long at the same time (As is Tatsu, X2, and Viper), and the park seems to be lacking high capacity rides at this point, especially with the recent addition of Full Throttle. Comparing Cedar Point against Magic Mountain it's very easy to see which park went for high intensity+low capacity and which went towards lower intensity+higher capacity.

Isn't it far more plausible that they're simply going to remove the ride outright? I mean, they did just install a new ride last season.

I'm seeing speculation online that there's some super-mega-dueling dragons-esque RMC makeover, and while that would be awesome it doesn't seem practical at the moment, especially given that YOLOcoaster opened < 1 calendar year ago.

I'm all for some awesome speculation, but I think in this case we need to be a little more practical.

I highly highly doubt that they remove the ride.

I'm seeing speculation online that there's some super-mega-dueling dragons-esque RMC makeover, and while that would be awesome it doesn't seem practical at the moment, especially given that YOLOcoaster opened < 1 calendar year ago.

Alright, well I gave you my two cents about it, so lets discuss it. Why do you think that?

True, then again their last two coasters cost all of what twenty bucks? They're due for something big budget...

Everyone is assuming that there will either be an RMC redo of Colossus or a brand new RMC, but there's been no confirmation of that..the only thing we know for sure is that Colossus is closing on 8/16. What they plan to do next we don't really know for sure.

Alright, well I gave you my two cents about it, so lets discuss it. Why do you think that?

Because if I remember correctly SFMM hinted at this at one if the WCB

Everyone is assuming that there will either be an RMC redo of Colossus or a brand new RMC, but there's been no confirmation of that..the only thing we know for sure is that Colossus is closing on 8/16. What they plan to do next we don't really know for sure.

I thought SFMM hinted at this at a WCB.

Whatever this turns out to be, I just hope finally MM has a coaster that is top ten worthy. I hope they go for length rather than height, airtime rather than speed, and brake free rather than high capacity.

I gotta be honest here, and I mean it in the best way possible just to discuss it, but I would not have guessed that the description you provided was for Magic Mountain. Just breaking it down: X2 and Tatsu are very much top ten worthy. Goliath is tall but it is extremely long at the same time (As is Tatsu, X2, and Viper), and the park seems to be lacking high capacity rides at this point, especially with the recent addition of YOLOcoaster. Comparing Cedar Point against Magic Mountain it's very easy to see which park went for high intensity+low capacity and which went towards lower intensity+higher capacity.

Oh don't get me wrong I love Tatsu and X2 but IMO they are no Millennium Force or Maverick, MM needs something that will blow people's minds. Something that will get the park back into the 3 million visitor range again.

And MM has more than enough high capacitu rides IMO, Goliath, Riddler, Viper, Ninja, Superman, and Scream are all people eaters. X2 and Tatsu have the potential to be people eaters with the right ride ops