TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

What I see on this thread: WOWSTATIONCOVERSUCKSPLAZALOOKSLAMENOEFFORTiactuallyliketherideSFMMSUCKS

But in all seriousness, I enjoyed the plaza at WCB, the mist came in handy. I like Full Throttle, I don't care what the station looks like as long as it provides some shade.

So, X2 is now down until March 2014...Why do I have a feeling that they DON'T actually plan on reopening it ever, and instead will come up with some excuse as the coaster is no longer able to be repaired or whatever. I would almost bet that its not going to reopen! Hmmmm...I sense a strong Flashback deja vu here...
Ridiculous. They would have never spent the time and money replacing the chain if they didn't plan on reopening it. Replacing it would be far more expensive than repairing it, especially considering the replacement would presumably need to be of a similar draw. Stuff happens, I'm sure that regardless of the crap we give them, they don't want their biggest drawing coaster down any longer than necessary. If they could open it now, they would. Some of us love X2 and some of us hate it, but it's still one of the most popular rides in the park, and people do travel to SFMM to ride it (at least for the first time )

I would bet X2 is also a financial burden for the park....Deja Vu was also very popular as well!
It costs a lot to run and maintain, to be sure, but it also brings a lot of people to the park. It also earns upcharge $ from flash pass ride sales it looks like it does pretty good comparatively on the on-ride photo sales. I don't think they're losing any money on it when it's running.

The original X suffered from far more downtime, which is why they spent $10M to renovate it as X2. Deja Vu I have specifically heard was a maintenance burden, I think it's common knowledge that they removed it for that reason, and while it wasnt "Viper" dead, it wasnt exactly "X2" popular either. I agree with both those decisions purely from a financial opinion. (For the record I really liked Deja Vu, I wish there was a GIB close)

The original X suffered from far more downtime, which is why they spent $10M to renovate it as X2. Deja Vu I have specifically heard was a maintenance burden, I think it's common knowledge that they removed it for that reason, and while it wasnt "Viper" dead, it wasnt exactly "X2" popular either. I agree with both those decisions purely from a financial opinion. (For the record I really liked Deja Vu, I wish there was a GIB close)

If it was any other park chain or company that was operating Magic Mountain, I would have been mad that Deja Vu was removed. Any normal park operator would have reduced its downtime over time as they learn how to operate the ride better, but Six Flags would have just gone for business as usual for years and years. It's better at a seasonal park.

^That station roof totally made the ride worse. Seriously, why do people even care about this? I will say I actually do like the plaza with it's steam jet things out of the ground and the big screen at the FT line, but that's probably just me.And, I think the nice theming on recent additions like Green Lantern and Lex Luther beg to differ.

If this thread spent half the time complaining about things actually worth complaining about, like understaffing, food options, overall cleanliness, etc. maybe they would actually take note.

EDIT: and no praise for their ongoing toy drive with free admission. Ok, rant over.

That's a nice thing they do with their toy drive. I bet that brings in a lot of people. If I lived locally I would come with friends or family members and take advantage of that offer. Don't they also do a food drive right before Thanksgiving where you get an admission with a bag with at least $15 worth of groceries?

^That station roof totally made the ride worse. Seriously, why do people even care about this? I will say I actually do like the plaza with it's steam jet things out of the ground and the big screen at the FT line, but that's probably just me.And, I think the nice theming on recent additions like Green Lantern and Lex Luther beg to differ.

If this thread spent half the time complaining about things actually worth complaining about, like understaffing, food options, overall cleanliness, etc. maybe they would actually take note.

EDIT: and no praise for their ongoing toy drive with free admission. Ok, rant over.

That's a nice thing they do with their toy drive. I bet that brings in a lot of people. If I lived locally I would come with friends or family members and take advantage of that offer. Don't they also do a food drive right before Thanksgiving where you get an admission with a bag with at least $15 worth of groceries?

Yep, the day before Thanksgiving!

If it was any other park chain or company that was operating Magic Mountain, I would have been mad that Deja Vu was removed. Any normal park operator would have reduced its downtime over time as they learn how to operate the ride better, but Six Flags would have just gone for business as usual for years and years. It's better at a seasonal park.

Not true at all. Knott's Just shipped off Windseeker because they didn't want to keep trying to find a solution the state would approve. They also took out Windjammer for being terrible. If a ride is a poorly designed ride from the beginning, there is only so much that can be done.

Can someone explain how the fast pass works at Magic Mountain.

You can purchase the flash pass online and take the voucher to the park or buy it at the center, either way you go to the flash pass office where you will watch a video and upon completion they will give you a small pager-like device with an lcd display. You carry it around with you and can select which ride you want to go on next. The display will tell you which rides are available and at what time your ride will be ready. When your ride is ready the pager will vibrate and flash and you can take it to the flash pass entrance where an operator will scan it and merge you with the line. As soon as the operator scans your device (ie while you're still in line), you can select a new ride.

Officially, the regular pass gives you the same wait time as the normal que, the gold offers up to 50% wait reduction, and platinum offers 90% reduction. In my experience, most of the time the gold gives you most rides within only a few minutes. The only real advantages to platinum are double rides on some rides, and access to purchase YOLOCoaster Flash Pass rides, which are $15 each and must be reserved at the Flash Pass office. If X2 were open, a gold level pass would allow access to reserve rides on it. Normally everything else is free.

If you're going on a busy day, get gold. If not, regular should work fine.

^The 21st won't be terrible, but you also won't be alone. The 22nd is a free friend day and should be avoided at all costs. The 28th and 29th will be as bad or worse than the Summer. It will be a little better if you go during the week.

But, if at all possible, go in Mid-January. Any day January 11th or later will be great! Like no lines for anything at all! You'll get many many rerides.

^The 21st won't be terrible, but you also won't be alone. The 22nd is a free friend day and should be avoided at all costs. The 28th and 29th will be as bad or worse than the Summer. It will be a little better if you go during the week.

But, if at all possible, go in Mid-January. Any day January 11th or later will be great! Like no lines for anything at all! You'll get many many rerides.

Ah, shucks, I was planning on going back to SFMM on the 22nd.

Rode full throttle for the first time this past weekend and thought it was great, but honestly thought that the restraints around the knees were the worst I've ever experienced. Freaking painful. Also, does anyone else think apocalypse is a top 5 ride at the park?

Also, does anyone else think apocalypse is a top 5 ride at the park?

Since I'm briefly seen in the pre-show in the last room, yes!

In the last room there's a firefight scene. I'm one of the "scavengers" in the fog kneeling against a wood support shooting a gun towards the good guys. Then, when the girl yells "Oh no, GRENADE!" I'm the dark blob heaving it in your direction. Say what you want about the pre-show, at least we had fun filming it.

^^When it opened, I considered Apocalypse one of the best rides in the park, but now it has gotten too rough. It is still in the top half of the park's coasters, but is probably my least favorite of the must-rides.

^That's cool. Next time I ride, I'll be sure to keep an eye out and see if I can spot you. I've never minded the pre-show, only the way it used to be run (forcing riders to view it at the cost of sending out half-empty trains).

Question for anyone who often visits SFMM this time of year: I have relatives visiting from Washington over winter break and they would like to go to SFMM. The only good day we can go is Monday, December 23rd. I'm not expecting it to be dead, but I'm hoping it won't be excessively crowded (expecting headliners to have approximately 30 minute waits). Is this a realistic estimate, or will it likely be busier?

Sometimes I think SFGA is bad. Then I look at the SFMM thread. The YOLO station really does look like a joke. It looks like they built a giant solar panel to power the ride. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a station for a major coaster that was literally just a roof at any permanent amusement park I've been to. Anyone have any other examples?

As for the concept art, it looks to me like they designed the cheapest area possible, then tasked their artists with making it look amazing. Like a spectacular alien sunset on Mars.