TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

After seeing how even more run-down the park has been looking

I don't know where you got the first part of that since in that area the park has only improved lately, maybe a steady improvement over the past year or two in fact. I totally think they could get way better, but let's not say they're getting worse when they're not.

seeing how slow and inconsistent they have been regarding their ride closures

We already know X2 has been down while they replace the lift chain. So since on one off day YOLOcoaster and Ninja are down they're so inconsistent? Even with X2 down indefinitely, on any given day it is very likely almost every other coaster is open.

Oh, and people talking about how disappointed people might be about YOLOcoaster not being open, do you forget that Disneyland closes down stuff all the time? I would imagine the tourists who paid to fly in from other countries would be pretty disappointed that Indy was down for rehab, Space Mountain was down for rehab, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, etc.

Amen Dylan. I agree totally. Folks. I have been going to magic mountain since I was little. Not for the scenery, but totally for the rides. Magic mountain has never disappointed me. Even with x2 down (I've never ridden it. Always down) doesn't discourage me from going. I have a hell of a good time every time I go!!!

Besides. It's not like they are doing anything unexpected.

• Replies 54.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jew

• ebl

• robbalvey

• Tmcdllr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Saturday 11/21, Theme Park Review was invited to see the Six Flags Magic Mountain Holiday in the Park Drive-thru Experience. It’s rare for park patrons to get to drive through a theme park, so this

There are other jobs available.  Not even close to a fair comparison.  And I’m someone who is a causality of this nonsense. The rational argument you should be making is how if the goal is to kee

I received an email from Knott's today asking Californians to help reopen the parks by messaging the governor.  It took me only a couple of minutes to copy and paste some stuff, so it is super easy, a

Posted Images

2. What are your experiences with Jet Stream? The only time I ever went on it was when the water must have been low, because the ride was rolling instead of floating the entire time. Is this how it's supposed to work?

It's always been that way.

Oh, and people talking about how disappointed people might be about YOLOcoaster not being open, do you forget that Disneyland closes down stuff all the time? I would imagine the tourists who paid to fly in from other countries would be pretty disappointed that Indy was down for rehab, Space Mountain was down for rehab, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, etc.

Amen Dylan. I agree totally. Folks. I have been going to magic mountain since I was little. Not for the scenery, but totally for the rides. Magic mountain has never disappointed me. Even with x2 down (I've never ridden it. Always down) doesn't discourage me from going. I have a hell of a good time every time I go!!!

Besides. It's not like they are doing anything unexpected.

Yeah? I've lived 5 miles south of SFMM for my entire life. I know how the park used to be better than most. I'm glad you have a good time, but if you've been going since you were little and you say the park hasn't disappointed you by now, you're just flat out not being honest. That park has disappointed everybody at one point or another, including many of the top brass who have worked there over the years. I'm sure the same goes for every other theme park in the world. No park ever goes mistake-free its entire life, but SFMM very rarely seems to realize when it does make mistakes. Subsequently, it rarely, if ever, learns from its mistakes or seems to want to learn from its mistakes.

Is it possible to still have fun there? Sure it is. Does Disneyland close rides for refurbs from time to time? Of course it does. But let's not pretend that SFMM and Disneyland close rides for the same reasons, or have anywhere close to the same refurb schedules. SFMM closes rides, or often times has them barely operating on shoestring budgets when they are open. It's better than nothing, sure, but it's a far cry from the level of operations seen at other parks.

^ maybe he's simply been fortunate enough to not go on a day where you stand in line all day and get on maybe 6 rides total?

I waited for Psyclone on opening weekend for 4 hours. Line snaked almost to viper. I think that was the worse one.

Made that mistake one time. Lol. I've always gone on non busy days. Usually in the winter. Maybe it's just that my expectations are low I guess. To be honest. There was a period between 1992-1999. That I didn't go, as I moved across the country...

I just go there to ride. Don't care about much else.

^The problem with just going there to ride is that SFMM makes that very difficult with terrible maintenance and operations!

I didn't find Magic Mountain maintain their rides badly except for Apocalypse. But the extremely slow lines made me really angry. It was a Saturday duting summer vacation and Tatsu, Ninja, Batman was running ONE train! Riddler, Scream and X2 took forever to load and unload that riders even complain about waiting at the brake run. Other than that, it was pretty good because all the parks I have been to was Happy Valley parks and Chimelong Parks

This summer, however, after I went to Silver Dollar City, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point... I really think SFMM is doing really terrible.

^ maybe he's simply been fortunate enough to not go on a day where you stand in line all day and get on maybe 6 rides total?

I waited for Psyclone on opening weekend for 4 hours. Line snaked almost to viper. I think that was the worse one.

Made that mistake one time. Lol. I've always gone on non busy days. Usually in the winter. Maybe it's just that my expectations are low I guess. To be honest. There was a period between 1992-1999. That I didn't go, as I moved across the country...

Was Psyclone really bad from day one? Or was it like a lot of other wooden coasters that deteriorate and become rough over time?

Was Psyclone really bad from day one? Or was it like a lot of other wooden coasters that deteriorate and become rough over time?

It was damaged on an earthquake after a couple of years and the park couldn't make it back to how it used to be.

When it first opened, Psyclone was very smooth and very fast (no trim brakes on the ride). The trains made this whooshing noise at high speed. Sounded really cool when they navigated the course. When I came back 6 years later. There were brakes all over the place and the ride was very slow. (Friend of my wife used to be a ride engineer there and he said it was all put in after the north ridge quake. But I don't know for sure. )

As I drove the I-5 near SFMM around 11am today seemed about a handful of workers on top of X2. So perhaps soon. And hasn't Big Thunder at Disney been closed for about 10 months? And seems at DCA radiator springs is down for the count. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386103139.966347.jpg.dfb9eaebfd456112a7298b75fc14645d.jpg

This remind me of the time I went to the park in 2005 late summer.

There was no one in the park, and as we headed towards the back, a Ride Op was sitting over by Déjà-Vu and asked us if. I wanted to ride. I was about 4-5 inches too short.

Then the ride op said: Oh it doesn't matter really! Come on in! Needless to say I didn't ride it that day, but it still a pretty weird encounter.

^^ Big Thunder is going through an extensive refurbishment and is slated to be closed until February 2014.

Racers is probably just having technical difficulties.

I didn't find Magic Mountain maintain their rides badly except for Apocalypse. But the extremely slow lines made me really angry. It was a Saturday duting summer vacation and Tatsu, Ninja, Batman was running ONE train! Riddler, Scream and X2 took forever to load and unload that riders even complain about waiting at the brake run. Other than that, it was pretty good because all the parks I have been to was Happy Valley parks and Chimelong Parks

This summer, however, after I went to Silver Dollar City, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point... I really think SFMM is doing really terrible.

Would another new coaster persuade you otherwise?

Would another new coaster persuade you otherwise?

Iron Colossus and/or a Giga would help make my feelings towards the park a bit softer. Before they build their big 20th coaster or after they've built Iron Colossus, it would be nice to see a big park restoration like Knott's has done/is doing. Cleaning up and renovating the areas of the park that need it, restoring the Magic Pagoda, and maybe having that Justice League dark ride go in DC Universe. I know that will probably never happen, but a man can dream can't he? It would help improve the atmosphere and feel of the park.

No. When Psyclone opened it was probably one of my favorite rides in the park. Oddly, even when it was actually good it never had a line.

^ Yep, see this seems like what they're trying to do. They skip on maintenance and other general upkeep in favor of new rides so that they can stay ahead in the war of "which park has the most coasters".

New bathrooms do not bring people to the park. With a limited budget they probably have to make a choice in hopes that higher attendance will bring more $$$ from corporate for the up coming year so they can do maintenance, repair and replacement.

This remind me of the time I went to the park in 2005 late summer.

There was no one in the park, and as we headed towards the back, a Ride Op was sitting over by Déjà-Vu and asked us if. I wanted to ride. I was about 4-5 inches too short.

Then the ride op said: Oh it doesn't matter really! Come on in! Needless to say I didn't ride it that day, but it still a pretty weird encounter.

Only other place I could see that happening is Mt. Olympus. In fact, I feel like I have seen that there.

There was no one in the park, and as we headed towards the back, a Ride Op was sitting over by Déjà-Vu and asked us if. I wanted to ride. I was about 4-5 inches too short. Then the ride op said: Oh it doesn't matter really! Come on in! Needless to say I didn't ride it that day, but it still a pretty weird encounter.

That is kind of terrifying. It's probably good you didn't accept the offer.