TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2205 - Opening Day Photo TR!

No idea what happened with Ninja, but really Ninja being down one day is not a huge deal.

Tell that to a 42" child who can ride no other full sized coasters in the park! Oh, wait, 42" children don't go to SFMM, anyway.

Unless they're with a family that has an older brother or sister over 48" or 54".

• Replies 55.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jew

• ebl

• robbalvey

• Tmcdllr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swung by the park for a few hours to see how things would be in the covid world, and I have to say that magic mountain did a pretty good job. For those wondering, it appears the only checks for r

SFMM Trip Report. Opening Day, April 1st, 2021.    TLDR: I had a very six flags day (but it was awesome)   After over four years, I finally returned to my home park and self-procla

On Saturday 11/21, Theme Park Review was invited to see the Six Flags Magic Mountain Holiday in the Park Drive-thru Experience. It’s rare for park patrons to get to drive through a theme park, so this

Posted Images

I use my season pass to go to the good Six Flags parks like Fiesta Texas and Great Adventure. I go to SFMM once a year to get my pass, and collect the new credit. I know it costs money to fly to some of the better parks in the chain, but it's totally worth it!

After seeing how even more run-down the park has been looking

I don't know where you got the first part of that since in that area the park has only improved lately, maybe a steady improvement over the past year or two in fact. I totally think they could get way better, but let's not say they're getting worse when they're not.

seeing how slow and inconsistent they have been regarding their ride closures

We already know X2 has been down while they replace the lift chain. So since on one off day Full Throttle and Ninja are down they're so inconsistent? Even with X2 down indefinitely, on any given day it is very likely almost every other coaster is open.

Oh, and people talking about how disappointed people might be about Full Throttle not being open, do you forget that Disneyland closes down stuff all the time? I would imagine the tourists who paid to fly in from other countries would be pretty disappointed that Indy was down for rehab, Space Mountain was down for rehab, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, etc.

No idea what happened with Ninja, but really Ninja being down one day is not a huge deal.

Tell that to a 42" child who can ride no other full sized coasters in the park! Oh, wait, 42" children don't go to SFMM, anyway.

Unless they're with a family that has an older brother or sister over 48" or 54".

Who would leave a 42" child alone in a theme park? That's bad parenting.

After seeing how even more run-down the park has been looking

I don't know where you got the first part of that since in that area the park has only improved lately, maybe a steady improvement over the past year or two in fact. I totally think they could get way better, but let's not say they're getting worse when they're not.

seeing how slow and inconsistent they have been regarding their ride closures

We already know X2 has been down while they replace the lift chain. So since on one off day YOLOcoaster and Ninja are down they're so inconsistent? Even with X2 down indefinitely, on any given day it is very likely almost every other coaster is open.

Oh, and people talking about how disappointed people might be about YOLOcoaster not being open, do you forget that Disneyland closes down stuff all the time? I would imagine the tourists who paid to fly in from other countries would be pretty disappointed that Indy was down for rehab, Space Mountain was down for rehab, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, etc.

Scream, Viper, X2, and Revolution have been very rough. Especially Scream and Viper. Those two have gotten to the point to where they are cometely unridable. The paint jobs on the coasters and in certain areas (Sammari Summit, Ninja station, and areas in the Psyclone Bay Area are all needing a LOT of attention. Not to mention that there are some areas that seem completely filthy. Trashes are overflowing with bees surrounding the areas where trash is. It's just in really bad shape. Dont get me started on how Jet Stream looks. They've made a few small improvements with the addition of FT, DC Universe area, but that's basically it (Haven't been to Fright Fest since 2011 so I can't judge in that font.)

Disney does close stuff for rehab all the time, but at least they give notice to their guests about that. They've completely removed two beloved rides (DeJaVu and LJ) without any notice. They've shut down Ninja and FT for the day without any notice for adding the seatbelts or whatever they're doing. That seems pretty shady to the guests if you're going to, knowing ahead of time, shut down coasters without letting your guests know.

All they're doing in X2 is replacing a lift hill chain. Could it really take this long to do just that? I would imagine that would take no longer than two months to order, instal, test, and get it approved by the state. With the amount if time they're taking, you would think they're giving the ride a descent refurb.

^It is nice of a park to let guests know of attraction closures (be it permanent or for refurbishment) but in no means are they required to tell you anything.

We all know SFMM isn't known for their guest relations anyways so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

In regards to X2: No one knows what the real issue is with the new chain installation. All we do know is that the chain broke, they ordered a new one which takes time as you can't just go to Home Depot and purchase a 4D coaster lift chain. There were confirmations of a crane over by the X2 lift and that new chain installation had started. Then the park confirmed it wont be open until after the 1st of the year. That's all we know.

Sounds to me like they ran into some issues with the new chain. Hopefully the park is taking this time to work on the On-Board audio and give the trains some TLC but this is SFMM we are talking about and they are obviously more reactive than proactive.

Also as an FYI, DOSH isn't required to sign off on something like a lift chain replacement.

Edited by DJeXeL

^ YOLO already has seat belts and Ninja isn't getting them since it already has OTSRs. Neither of these were for seat belts.

YOLO was not "closed" so much as it was "broken down" - a train got stuck in the tunnel. How can the park give notice before a ride breaks down unexpectedly?

We do know the chain has been installed on X2 because it has been seen on the lift, we don't know why the ride is still closed after the chain was installed. Could be a problem with the new chain, could be unrelated...but we do know they got the new chain and installed it. I don't remember the park confirming it would be closed through December but I heard hearsay from employees that they doubted it would be open by then.

^MY post didn't mention seatbelts at all.....

In regards to YOLO I know it was having technical difficulties. My post was pointed towards the mention of Deja and LJ closures.

For those that are stating that YOLO is "broken down" because it is "stuck in the tunnel" (I really haven't seen any confirmation of this for one...), the tunnel is a stop point part of the safety features on the ride. It stopped running on the Midnight Riders thing as well and the lead mechanic explained to me that if the train going though the tunnel doesn't hit the trip points just right when going through, the whole ride automatically shuts down as a safety precaution. This makes it so they whole system has to reset and that takes time. The train doesn't just "get stuck" in the tunnel.

I think it might be something else if the ride isn't running.

That being said, I haven't heard much about the ride doing roll backs since the midnight riders event (When I rode it rolled back right before my train was to come around, followed by my train rolling back). I heard of a few times since then that had to do with it over heating, but it sounds like they might have solved it.

All we do know is that the chain broke, they ordered a new one which takes time as you can't just go to Home Depot and purchase a 4D coaster lift chain.

But isn't the chain for X2 the same as any other list chain?

Every type of coaster is probably designed to latch onto its own lift a different way, not to mention the length of the chain has to be spot-on. For example, most B&Ms (with the exception of Hydra, Nemesis Inferno, and I believe Griffon) have to travel at the same speed to engage the lift (notice the drive tires before the lift), most Arrows have to run onto the lift faster than the lift is going (on Arrows that exit the station onto the lift directly and don't have drive tires like most Arrows, the lift runs really slow at first to let the train on - think Flight Deck/Bat at KI), and others like some Eurofighters (I think at least DDD does this) have to come to a full stop and wait for it to catch like a continuously looping cable lift - which is yet another different system used for lifts.

As for rolling back on YOLO, I saw it roll back down the loop into the station during tests. Each launch was progressively faster, so they were probably testing the right launch speed.

Every time I go to the park, I think of how lush and beautiful the park used to be. It felt like a very green and lush park full of coasters at one point, but now it's basically a junkyard carnival with a handful of descent coasters. Even then, their other rides like X2, Scream, and Viper have gotten so rough and unnoticed by park management, that they are unridable. It's sad that the park has a high potential of being beautiful coaster park with the hilly and foresty environment surrounding it.

I do really enjoy the setting and surroundings of the park, as California is probably my favorite part of the country scenery-wise. If only they'd bring the landscaping and upkeep of the park itself back up to par. And everything else.

I have two questions for the regular visitors of this thread.

1. Is LLDoD really the first drop ride to achieve terminal velocity only through free fall? I heard a rumor about it and wanted to know if any of you could confirm.

2. What are your experiences with Jet Stream? The only time I ever went on it was when the water must have been low, because the ride was rolling instead of floating the entire time. Is this how it's supposed to work?

On Saturday, I talked to the YOLO ops at the entrance and they said that the ride was closed due to rain on Thursday and then on Friday it got stuck in the tunnel and had been stuck since. Apparently they were having trouble getting the LSMs in the tunnel to fire with enough power to get the train over the top hat after many tries. It kept rolling back.

Also, on Saturday, I noticed that one of the 3 X2 trains is no longer on the storage track like it was when I looked in September. So maybe they are rehabbing a bit.....

1. Is LLDoD really the first drop ride to achieve terminal velocity only through free fall? I heard a rumor about it and wanted to know if any of you could confirm.

Lex Luthor drops at about 85 miles per hour which is nowhere near terminal velocity.

On Saturday, I talked to the YOLO ops at the entrance and they said that the ride was closed due to rain on Thursday and then on Friday it got stuck in the tunnel and had been stuck since. Apparently they were having trouble getting the LSMs in the tunnel to fire with enough power to get the train over the top hat after many tries. It kept rolling back.

Is this the death of the backwards launch for YOLO some of us predicted way back when?

Is this the death of the backwards launch for YOLO some of us predicted way back when?

I'm honestly surprised it didn't die a week after the ride opened.