TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

I still dont get why some parks need to do this double check. It's an inefficient and slow. I was always taught to check both the lap bar and seat belt at the same time.

That's because the park you work for, just gets it.

^I don't understand what there is to "get" though. Checking a seat is really just that simple. And since you do it so much, over and over every day, anything that's out of the ordinary, like someone trying to hold their bar up or any other safety hazard, is clear as day and very noticeable.

At SFGADV on El Toro, I remember they checked both the seatbelt and the restraint at the same time, starting at the front of the train and working their way back, and they did it very quickly. Then, the attendant running the control booth would tell them which cars the computer says has a lap bar that isn't down far enough, and they'd go to that seat and push it down until it was down enough. That seems to make more sense to me, for efficiency's sake at least.

Perhaps the seat belts are actually being used to better determine whether or not a large guest can ride?

No I would think that the sensors on the lap bar would trip and tell the attendant that the restraint is not closed enough. I am thoroughly convinced that the seat belts on Goliath are in place only for covering Six Flags should anything happen.

The reason why they do two checks is because when the lap bar is down, it is not possible to check the seatbelts due to where they are located in the seat. This is largely because the trains weren't originally designed to have seatbelts in the first place! The entire belt is hidden under the lap bar once the bar is down.

This is such a stupid idea and I am so glad that they decided not to put them on Colossus.

Now I wonder why Full Throttle is closed... The park's newest coaster and the park's most popular coaster... Both closed!? I know I wasn't very happy seeing that yesterday as a local. I can't even imagine how disappointed a full-paying guest would be to see this. I also saw the impact on the other lines because of this. The parking lot was maybe 1/3 full and Tatsu had a full queue extending down the hill with both stations in use.

Perhaps the seat belts are actually being used to better determine whether or not a large guest can ride?

No I would think that the sensors on the lap bar would trip and tell the attendant that the restraint is not closed enough. I am thoroughly convinced that the seat belts on Goliath are in place only for covering Six Flags should anything happen.

Honestly, the seat belts are not required, especially on a ride like Goliath with not much airtime. Just make sure the restraints are over the thighs and close, and not on the stomach. Problem solved, no belts required.

Now I wonder why YOLOcoaster is closed... The park's newest coaster and the park's most popular coaster... Both closed!? I know I wasn't very happy seeing that yesterday as a local. I can't even imagine how disappointed a full-paying guest would be to see this. I also saw the impact on the other lines because of this. The parking lot was maybe 1/3 full and Tatsu had a full queue extending down the hill with both stations in use.

Do you think it random chance that the SoCal parks that keep their rides up & running best of any have over 1,000,000 Annual Passholders while SFMM struggles to pull in more than 10,000 total on a non-summer day, yet those parks are much more expensive than SFMM?

People know where to expect quality and where not to. Those who don't yet quickly learn.

The reason why they do two checks is because when the lap bar is down, it is not possible to check the seatbelts due to where they are located in the seat. This is largely because the trains weren't originally designed to have seatbelts in the first place! The entire belt is hidden under the lap bar once the bar is down.

Now I wonder why YOLOcoaster is closed... The park's newest coaster and the park's most popular coaster... Both closed!? I know I wasn't very happy seeing that yesterday as a local. I can't even imagine how disappointed a full-paying guest would be to see this. I also saw the impact on the other lines because of this. The parking lot was maybe 1/3 full and Tatsu had a full queue extending down the hill with both stations in use.

Do you think it random chance that the SoCal parks that keep their rides up & running best of any have over 1,000,000 Annual Passholders while SFMM struggles to pull in more than 10,000 total on a non-summer day, yet those parks are much more expensive than SFMM?

People know where to expect quality and where not to. Those who don't yet quickly learn.

SFMM has some problems, but what park doesn't? I have heard that people from SFMM go to a hardware store to buy the flowers for the park instead of having a nursery like many other parks.

YOLOCoaster wasn't down voluntarily, a train is stuck in the tunnel, no idea if it's the launch system or something else that caused the problem. I heard it broke down Friday or Saturday and remained down through Sunday. No idea what happened with Ninja, but really Ninja being down one day is not a huge deal. It would have been nice if they got X2 back up and running, but no idea what's causing it's continued downtime now that the chain is on site.

No idea what happened with Ninja, but really Ninja being down one day is not a huge deal.

Tell that to a 42" child who can ride no other full sized coasters in the park! Oh, wait, 42" children don't go to SFMM, anyway.

Edited by robbalvey

You're right, my statement was admittedly myopic, there are limited rides for younger folks, I was only thinking about the popularity of the ride compared to others. Its not unusual for a ride to be down for a day or two every once in a while, but with X2 and YOLO being down it just added to the problem.

At least at SFMM (if you're tall enough to ride everything) there are a lot more options..earlier this year I was at SFDK when Kong, Roar, V2, and Boomerang were all down the whole day leaving only 2 full size coasters operating out of 6.

After seeing how even more run-down the park has been looking and seeing how slow and inconsistent they have been regarding their ride closures, I am not renewing my SFMM pass. I'll stick with my USH and Knott's. At least those arks have warm and inviting atmospheres.

Every time I go to the park, I think of how lush and beautiful the park used to be. It felt like a very green and lush park full of coasters at one point, but now it's basically a junkyard carnival with a handful of descent coasters. Even then, their other rides like X2, Scream, and Viper have gotten so rough and unnoticed by park management, that they are unridable. It's sad that the park has a high potential of being beautiful coaster park with the hilly and foresty environment surrounding it.

Way back when there was that crazy rumor of Six Flags selling the park around 2006, I honestly wish they did, but to another company. Just imagine what Anheiser Busch (SP?) would have done with that park. It would've been beautiful! It would've been awesome! Imagine how Busch Gardens: California would have been.

I only go to SFMM when I have some time on my hands after my class gets out at CoC nearby to get a few coasters in. Going there now feels like a chore to walk around a massive dump to get from one coaster to another. It's depressing to go there. I've tolerated this for some time, but I just can't. I can't bring myself to renew my pass until management realizes how dire the park is in need of some restoration. I want this park to thrive, but under the incompetent leadership it's under now, it isn't.

Tell that to a 42" child who can ride no other full sized coasters in the park! Oh, wait, 42" children don't go to SFMM, anyway.

They sure do! "SFMM is a Disney-like experience at a cheaper cost." - Stupid quote from Mark Shapiro

As soon as he said that I lost all respect for him.