TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It also doesn't help that Full Throttle has the smallest station ever. Maybe they'll take some time in the offseason to finally finish the station and expand the unload side a bit? They could also speed up dispatch times if they implemented a STRICT locker policy. I'd imagine that even with the seat belts dispatches would go down :45 - 1:00 without all the bags and crap.

^Same with kingda ka, right? At least I've never seen the other side of the station being used (nor when I went there nor in any video).

I saw KK use them in 2005 (opening year). Didn't see it last year when we were back there.

People also seem to forger that X2 also has separate load/unload stations that are never used.

• Replies 55k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jew

• ebl

• robbalvey

• Tmcdllr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Saturday 11/21, Theme Park Review was invited to see the Six Flags Magic Mountain Holiday in the Park Drive-thru Experience. It’s rare for park patrons to get to drive through a theme park, so this

There are other jobs available.  Not even close to a fair comparison.  And I’m someone who is a causality of this nonsense. The rational argument you should be making is how if the goal is to kee

Looks like the 2021ish coaster for SFMM was conditionally approved by the city https://epicla.lacounty.gov/SelfService/#/permit/3f44c971-a566-49fc-95c9-7ae34f7382fd Here is the second request th

Posted Images

It also doesn't help that YOLOcoaster has the smallest station ever. Maybe they'll take some time in the offseason to finally finish the station and expand the unload side a bit? They could also speed up dispatch times if they implemented a STRICT fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy. I'd imagine that even with the seat belts dispatches would go down :45 - 1:00 without all the bags and crap.

^Same with kingda ka, right? At least I've never seen the other side of the station being used (nor when I went there nor in any video).

I saw KK use them in 2005 (opening year). Didn't see it last year when we were back there.

People also seem to forger that X2 also has separate load/unload stations that are never used.

Yeah I noticed that too. I remember when I came back after riding it around opening, I thought "Wait, didn't you used to get off here?"

It also doesn't help that YOLOcoaster has the smallest station ever. Maybe they'll take some time in the offseason to finally finish the station and expand the unload side a bit? They could also speed up dispatch times if they implemented a STRICT fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy. I'd imagine that even with the seat belts dispatches would go down :45 - 1:00 without all the bags and crap.

Yeah I noticed that too. I remember when I came back after riding it around opening, I thought "Wait, didn't you used to get off here?"

When I went, I thought that that back platform should have been used to unload. Then again, this is SFMM. Oh well, the current system is BETTER THAN NOTHING!

Yes, but wasn't that a benefit that they stopped using the unload station on X2? Because it took longer for them to bring the seats to an upright position so people can get out only to have to lower them again to a tilted position to move the train to the load section only to have to bring them back to an upright so people can load. I believe they eliminated that station to save on ride cycle time.

Using all 4 load/unload gates on Kingda Ka wasn't very effective either. The ride gets about the same, if not better capacity today than it did three years ago, which was when they made the switch to only one section being used at a time.

Yes, but wasn't that a benefit that they stopped using the unload station on X2? Because it took longer for them to bring the seats to an upright position so people can get out only to have to lower them again to a tilted position to move the train to the load section only to have to bring them back to an upright so people can load. I believe they eliminated that station to save on ride cycle time.

Yes, X2 with one station is much better than the two station configuration from the original X days. And the new trains helped a lot with cycle times and reliability.

Using all 4 load/unload gates on Kingda Ka wasn't very effective either. The ride gets about the same, if not better capacity today than it did three years ago, which was when they made the switch to only one section being used at a time.

Yeah, no matter how crowded the park is they only ever use the front right entry area and I don't think they bother running more than 3 trains ever. I'm sure they decided that the cost of paying employees to run 4 loading areas wasn't worth the extra capacity it added... and honestly they may be right. They can only launch trains so often anyway and using 4 loading platforms made the wait times once you got to the station unbearably long... especially for the front row which is the only place I ride that coaster.

^Maybe they could try to forget the unloading platforms and use it as a normal double loading station (like on storm runner). Wouldn't that improve capacity?

Probably, but they'd also have to pay more ride-ops which I'm sure is a big factor in the current loading procedure. Also (and I'm just speculating because I know nothing at all about this stuff) I wonder if only using one station gives the ride less of an opportunity to break down. It stands to reason that the less moving parts, station blocks and sensors that are involved, the less likely the ride is to break down. Is this a legitimate possibility?

^Well, maybe. But I think that the launch system itself is usually what causes the most problems. I suppose you could also say that if there are more trains being dispatched they will be launched more often and that could demand a bit more from the mechanism but probably it's just a matter of having to have more operators for each ride.

^Only Platinum, and only with an upcharge. I'd recommend just going there immediately at opening rather than paying for a Flash Pass.

We're trying to hit Knott's, Castle, and SFMM in one day, so we may simply need Flash Pass and Fast Lane convenience. Thanks very much for responding.

^ Wow. There's an interesting day trip. IMO, that's more like two days manageable unless just a few rides at each park or lucky with no lines? The platinum extra Fast Pass will cost you at SFMM, not as much at Knott's.

^^Good luck!

When we went to Castle Park in September, the spinning coaster was closed, apparently long-term. Any news on it reopening? The park's okay, but the traffic makes me disinclined to ever go back.

^Only Platinum, and only with an upcharge. I'd recommend just going there immediately at opening rather than paying for a Flash Pass.

We're trying to hit Knott's, Castle, and SFMM in one day, so we may simply need Flash Pass and Fast Lane convenience. Thanks very much for responding.

Oh wow. I've never been to SFMM or Knott's but they definitely both look like one-day parks, even with Flash Pass/Fast Lane.

(Yay! My 500th post! )

I have heard that Tweety's Great Escape will be moved to a new location within Bugs Bunny World and that the Foghorn Leghorn train will be removed to make way for the new coaster. Anyone know more?

Edited by _IntaMAN_

Very not recommended! Even with a Fast Lane/Flash Pass, plan three hours for a credit run of Knott's and six for a credit run of SFMM, and that's go in, ride each coaster once, and get out. Both Knott's and SFMM are full day parks if you are not doing a credit run, and it will probably take at least an hour and fifteen minutes to drive between them, leaving no time for Castle Amusement Park (which is 45 minutes from Knott's and another hour and 45 to SFMM not including traffic delays). You'll need no traffic delays, a Fast Lane at Knott's, a Platinum Flash Pass at SFMM, and no breakdowns to pull off all three in one day. If you want to attempt it, all I can say is good luck!

My advice: If you only have one day, pick either Knott's or SFMM and just do that. Castle Amusement Park is really not worth it unless you'll be out in Riverside anyway.

Dear Everyone,

Thanks so much for your advice. We have been to all three parks before, including more than once at Knott's and SFMM. We've been to Castle once.

We're very accustomed to getting one or two credits and then moving on, which is what we plan to do: Coast Rider and Timberline Twister (for Cheryl) at Knott's, Full Throttle and Lex Luthor's Drop of Doom at SFMM, and the spinner at Riverside that may be down (Thanks, Laura, we'll call first). This is a mileage/credit mop-up run.

We're starting early and our only limitations are the traffic and our flight at 21:30. If things get cut too close, we bail and hightail it to LAX. Which reminds me, I'd better get ready for our flight to California!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Anyone ever been to the park day after thanksgiving? I'm thinking about heading down however if super packed I'm not sure I want to. I'm ok with a line for things but if its crazy count me out. Any advise?

I've been to SFMM for the past two years for Black Friday and I'll be there tomorrow as well. From what I've seen it's always been a good day to visit the park. It's not completely empty but you don't wait too long for the rides. I would say maybe a 25 min maximum wait time on the big attractions barring a malefaction.

Dear Everyone,

Thanks so much for your advice. We have been to all three parks before, including more than once at Knott's and SFMM. We've been to Castle once.

We're very accustomed to getting one or two credits and then moving on, which is what we plan to do: Coast Rider and Timberline Twister (for Cheryl) at Knott's, YOLOcoaster and Lex Luthor's Drop of Doom at SFMM, and the spinner at Riverside that may be down (Thanks, Laura, we'll call first). This is a mileage/credit mop-up run.

We're starting early and our only limitations are the traffic and our flight at 21:30. If things get cut too close, we bail and hightail it to LAX. Which reminds me, I'd better get ready for our flight to California!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I laughed at some of the responses to your earlier post. They don't know you to well!

Have fun on your mop up and looking forward to seeing you and Cheryl again on Scandi

Anyone have any updates on X2???????????
I know the chain is at least mostly if not completely installed, but heard they encountered some unexpected difficulties. They had previously hoped to reopen by this weekend but now they're reportedly unsure if they can get it open by January.