TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

If YOLOcoaster got seat belts that would be slightly disappointing as it ran great without them and had some awesome dispatch times. Oh well, Six Flags is gonna Six Flags.
Yeah basically. Since SUF got belts and it has identical trains, and another coaster at SFMM got it, I think it's safe to conclude that YoloCoaster will get them at some point.

When the other option is OTSR's I don't understand the complaints.

If the GP doesn't feel safe they wont show up to the parks. With the recent incident, SF is just trying to make the rides "safer". Even though we know a seatbelt isn't necessary, the GP doesn't. They're the ones who fill the parks up every day, not us.

Cedar Fair typically has seat belts on their coasters... and yet... nobody seems to care.

Cedar Fair typically has seat belts on their coasters... and yet... nobody seems to care.

Because CF can dispatch at a decent pace with them

In all seriousness, they have gotten rid of the belts on Bat (Flight Deck) and BLSC at Kings Island.

When the other option is OTSR's I don't understand the complaints.

Exactly. Seat belts are 1000x better than OTSR's. I'd love to see Revolution without them one day

I really hope this day comes.

...possibly Ninja. Just think how much more fun Ninja would be without OTSR's...

This, on the other hand, is never going to happen. It would certainly be interesting though.

And about the people complaining about the belts, the frustration comes from the fact that they are most likely unnecessary. On the other hand, if they were necessary, we should be upset that these rides were cleared to operate for years without them. It makes sense that the parks feel the need to look safer, but it's irritating, nonetheless.

I think it is strange how long it took them to add the seat belts if it is a response to NTAG. It has been over four months and they are just adding them now.

A lot has to happen behind the scenes before a park can make changes to a ride. The manufacturer has to approve, write a tech bulletin about it, and then the park also has to change their paperwork and procedures (which I am sure requires multiple approvals from the corporate office) to reflect the changes. The state may even have to approve, since they are modifying the ride.

My problem with seat belts is dispatch times which have nearly doubled if not trippled in length on YOLOcoaster.

Time start making new coasters with dual stations to cut back the dispatch times

... And never staff it.

It's a shame to see coasters that have been operating for years, safely, get seat belts. Seat belts don't make you safer. A properly trained crew does. One that knows when someone is properly restrained, and when they are too big or small to safely ride.

It isn't merely that they could spend money on training employees. There's also the blunt reality that ride operators are intentionally hired as low skill employees paid low wages onto whom as little responsibility as possible is placed.

It isn't merely that they could spend money on training employees. There's also the blunt reality that ride operators are intentionally hired as low skill employees paid low wages onto whom as little responsibility as possible is placed.

That's the problem. Maybe if they were paid more (can this even be justified?), trained better, and had more responsibility they would be better at that job. Oh wait, that costs money.... nevermind!

Some friends at the park today did some calculations on Full Throttle's average launches with seat belts now, and this is what I heard:

- Average launch is about 2:30 with each launch exceeding 2:00 in time.

- About 24 Launches per hour

With that said capacity with the seat belts being checked went down a lot, averaging about only 432 PPH. YOLO!

Some friends at the park today did some calculations on YOLOcoaster's average launches with seat belts now, and this is what I heard:

- Average launch is about 2:30 with each launch exceeding 2:00 in time.

- About 24 Launches per hour

With that said capacity with the seat belts being checked went down a lot, averaging about only 432 PPH. YOLO!

It was even worse yesterday almost double that, about 4 minutes a dispatch in some cases