TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2228 - Wonder Woman Flight of Courage REAL POV!

Even if it wasn't confirmed...Premier has been moving away from OTSRs ever since they retrofitted Flight of Fear, Mr. Freeze, etc.

More importantly, that dive into the tunnel looks awesome! I wonder how far the back car will come up on the reverse launch?

I definitely think it's awkward and weird. I also brought up that I could see that element going away in the future to reduce costs on the ride, but Joey said that that likely won't be an issue because the energy consumption of the ride is much lower than other energy hogs in the park.

That being said, I think the backwards launch thing would be a million times cooler if there was some kind of thematic element to it, like a mist screen in front of the track showing an animation that would warrant the car wanting to reverse. Like, "Oh crap! A yolo monster! Lets reverse the hell outta here!" I know that won't happen, but I think it would certainly complete the bizarre experience.

I figured out the YOLO! If your a lucky rider, the backwards launch will launch you all the way back through the dive, and all the way down to the bottom of the loop!

That might actually be kind of cool (except for the fact you would be stuck) wonder if that would even be possible. I know with the launch system im sure it launches at almost the exact same speed everytime.

What would really make sense and live up to Yolocoaster's old name, is if they put a mist screen in the tunnel and project a concrete wall on it. So when you complete the dive, you have to stop to prevent the train from crashing into it, it then would back out to gain momentum, and bash through the wall! This, of course, is probably way to complicated for Magic Mountain and way to themed for them to even think of this.

Edited by rustyinpeace

^ When I took that SFMM survey last year when they asked what would you like to see in the tunnel, I put some sort of near miss dead end, forcing the car to reverse. We'll see what they come up with.

I think I remember that on another ride, but there was no reverse and the obstruction moved out of the way just in time. It was a coaster, but I couldn't tell you which.

^ When I took that SFMM survey last year when they asked what would you like to see in the tunnel, I put some sort of near miss dead end, forcing the car to reverse. We'll see what they come up with.

Something I would like to see implemented would be a set of doors in the tunnel, so that you hit the brakes and stop right before the doors only to get launched backwards, have the doors open, and then continue through the tunnel into the yoloop.

Something I noticed on the SFMM Full Throttle press release page...perhaps I'm a bit behind but their promo video seems a bit different...the definition of YOLO is still present but the whole YOLO acronym appears to have been removed. I wonder how SFMM feels about us calling it Full Throttle

Update: Word filter strikes again, in the URL... be sure to replace full throttle with full (hyphen) throttle in the URL.

I definitely think it's awkward and weird. I also brought up that I could see that element going away in the future to reduce costs on the ride, but Joey said that that likely won't be an issue because the energy consumption of the ride is much lower than other energy hogs in the park.

If anything, that feature will be removed if/when it causes too much downtime. I see it being a problem for that reason...definitely not for energy consumption

I completely agree. I think the stop, reverse launch kills the pacing that the ride has, and although the ride time would be shorter, it would feel more intense if it just increased speed instead.

Does anyone else think the reverse launch seems pointless and kind of awkward?

Yes.

And I've heard of the horrid load times at SF:MM? If so, seems like a bad idea.

Anyone know if it'll stop, and launch the third time, that'd be crazy awkward. Hopefully it auto launches in the tunnel after it falls back forward.

Yeah what they^ said, it'd kill the pace totally.

Backwards launches are kind of pointless in my opinion unless its the highlight if the ride, like Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast. It's key element is a backwards launch. Yolocoasters isn't necessary, it's just kind of there. It would be cooler of it just blasted right through the tunnel, it kind of kills the ride experience to slow the ride down to a complete stop when it's easier to give the ride an extra boost. It would probably increase capacity a tad too, not by much though.

If anything, that feature will be removed if/when it causes too much downtime. I see it being a problem for that reason...definitely not for energy consumption

I'm not sure how the reverse launch would cause any down time. If Premier uses the Prolim LSMs as Brakes in conjunction with a Flywheel Inverter, full throttle will be able to operate completely off the grid during operation, like Wicked does at Lagoon.

-Sid