TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

A ratcheting lap bar system has some give to it by design between ratchets, which when mixed in with the right forces could lead to your body getting enough space to slip out. Add in a shin pad to restrain you from the shins and that can't happen. The shin pad is essentially grabbing your body by the legs.

premiers lap bar restraints would NOT be suitable for YOLOCoaster because they use a ratcheting system to lock. That's 100% fact.

What's a ratcheting system have to deal with the shin-bar? You're probably right anyways, all I want is to understand your point. How a horizontal beam can help on lateral forces? How it change something on the locking system?... Because for me a lap-bar is a lap-bar, and you can't get out. (Well, obviously the ergonomic ones, not the beams that take over the whole row.)

I'm aware I can be wrong and love to learn things, I just jumped when I saw his sentence.

If you had read my comment and Jew's, you would understand what a ratcheting system has to do with a shin bar. A ratcheting lap bar only locks in certain areas. You might get anywhere from 10-14 locking positions depending on how the restraint is designed. I know from personal experience that the Phantom's Revenge has 14 locking positions due to the design of the paw's on the restraint. Have you ever been on ride where you felt like the restraint might be too loose where you lower it to, but the ride op comes by and staples you in to the next ratcheting position? That's why a lap bar is not completely adequate for a ride like Full Throttle. If a person riding falls in between any of those locking positions, their lap bar is going to be loose and without a shin bar their safety could be in question. The two rides you linked pictures clearly supports my original argument. With a hydraulic lap bar design that is used on Intamin, Gerstlauer, and Mack coasters (maybe more), there are unlimited locking positions. The lap bar will essentially lock wherever the lap bar is lowered to. It is not restricted by a particular locking positions like on the ratcheting lap bar systems. The only down side to these types of lap bars, is they tend to get extremely tight in high g areas. A great example of this is Sky Rush. Your lap bar can be somewhat tight when you leave the station, but once you hit the bottom of that first drop, you can guarantee that your lap bar is going to be a lot tighter than when it started because it is constantly tightening due to the hydraulic cylinder it uses.

I hope this answers your question, but if you had closely read my last post you would have understood just fine.

Edited by EastCoastn07

Dare Devil Dive's restraints open upward instead of outward, so they're essentially an OTSR without the horse collar.

That makes no sense. A lap-bar is a lap-bar, it won't hold you more if it open upward or what..

Look at 1:15

IDK if trains have much to do with it but from POVs I see that every hill is trimmed! Quite heavily at times. Was Revolution always like this?

Looks like it would be a fun ride without, but just is really slow now.

Also call me a silly bastard but I have a feeling the ride was designed to keep you held in perfectly safely without real issue...I know crazy

I had no idea it was going to be so close to the pathway! That's really low. I wonder what they're going to have to do in order to ensure the safety of the riders/people on the midway and prevent people from getting too close. Especially right there by the railing on the edge. It really seems like they couldn't leave it like that without some sort of fence/net/wall. Right?

I had no idea it was going to be so close to the pathway! That's really low. I wonder what they're going to have to do in order to ensure the safety of the riders/people on the midway and prevent people from getting too close. Especially right there by the railing on the edge. It really seems like they couldn't leave it like that without some sort of fence/net/wall. Right?

Hey, YOLO! If you get too close, then you die

There are two options here:

1) It's really not that close to the edge and nothing will need to be done

2) The blue fence is going to be moved and even the footer will be on the other side of it

I'm going to the park tomorrow so hopefully the plaza will be open and we can see how close it is to that area. I do think they'll be some kind of netting underneath the track which is kind of sad because it looks very cool.

Looks really neat. But if I look at the guy It's a close call, It's either you just can reach it or you can't reach it at a hand of. I wonder how they are going to deal with annoying GP, It's the perfect place for misbehave. I mean for us the enthusiast it's just a wonderful part of the ride for pictures, so over the plaza.