TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Riddle's has got to have one of the worst station layouts ever, you go up the stairs then it just merges into a giant hot, smelly, cluster f**k of a line.

It's miserable. Luckily they seemed to have removed the horrendous music and strobe lights (at least they were off when we were there a few months ago). Tatsu, however, took the cake for the worst line. The misters turned the cattle pen into a disgusting swamp, adding at least 15º to the already blistering heat. They should steal that big ass fan from Batman's line and stick it in there.

It's miserable. Luckily they seemed to have removed the horrendous music and strobe lights (at least they were off when we were there a few months ago). Tatsu, however, took the cake for the worst line. The misters turned the cattle pen into a disgusting swamp, adding at least 15º to the already blistering heat. They should steal that big A$$ fan from Batman's line and stick it in there.

I recall one day that fan smelled like vomit. It was gross but ironically matched the theming quite well

Riddle's has got to have one of the worst station layouts ever, you go up the stairs then it just merges into a giant hot, smelly, cluster f**k of a line.

It's miserable. Luckily they seemed to have removed the horrendous music and strobe lights (at least they were off when we were there a few months ago). Tatsu, however, took the cake for the worst line. The misters turned the cattle pen into a disgusting swamp, adding at least 15º to the already blistering heat. They should steal that big A$$ fan from Batman's line and stick it in there.

They should really have someone at the bottom of the stairs there all the time, and every time a train goes by, lets up about 32 people. They had a Flash Pass person in a red shirt for a little while holding back the line during the summer and busy weekends, but apparantly they're no longer.

Does anyone know why that air conditioner has NEVER been on before? They fixed it up awhile ago when Jay Thomas was around. I've never seen it working or turned on before. It's there. Just turn it on! The music still plays, but it is so faint you can only hear it if you're standing right next to a speaker. Regarding the question mark lights, as a die hard pre-whenever-Riddler's-began-to-suck fan, I'd love to see them return, but they never seem to last more than a couple months after they are fixed up.

I just wish that Riddler's Revenge had the same station of Batman. Batman's station impressed me since it was pretty spacious and has that high ceiling while Riddler's station is like an overcrowded office.

Does anyone know why that air conditioner has NEVER been on before?

The Ice Queen likes it hot.

The music still plays, but it is so faint you can only hear it if you're standing right next to a speaker.

The ride ops do that. There is a peddle that lowers the audio so they can spiel. The pedal is probably purposely wedged under the console.

Well I guess the A/C in Riddler's has been allowed to fail (because it did work at one point) for the same reason the a/c- fans- venting has been allowed to fail at other rides, the park is too cheap to bother to keep these maintained and running.... and that really sucks.

The ride ops do that. There is a peddle that lowers the audio so they can spiel. The pedal is probably purposely wedged under the console.

Can't blame them. That track must have had about a five-second repeat of "dum-tshh-dum-tshh-dum-tshh" -- it's enough to drive anyone to throw themselves onto the tracks.

Perhaps it's the sweltering heat, but it also seems to be the one station that attracts the most aggressively hormonal and exhibitionistic teens (and, unfortunately, adults). More than once have I been treated to the sight of some attention-seeking couple putting on a slobbery performance, grinding one another up against the railings. Perhaps the industrial decor of the building reminds them of being in some rat-infested alley or camped out behind some stinky dumpster?

Well that's enough get-off-my-lawnism for one day, I think.

How, exactly, is Flashpass supposed to work on Riddlers? We showed up at the merge spot at the base of the stairs and there was no Flashpass attendant to check us in. We proceeded up the narrow stair path on the far right only to find that led to a packed station with no clear merge spot there either. Still no Flashpass checker...

Other than that, the park was operating pretty well today.

I must say I'm surprised to read you would be using a "Flashpass". I had thought by all your postings in here you are a seasoned SFMM person and would not need to use these as you have done it all. Yesterday (Labor Day Mon) didn't seem that busy and most of my party did all they chose to with little effort. Keep up the great postings.

The Flashpass certainly wasn't entirely necessary yesterday, but since I have severe rheumatoid arthritis it is worth it to me even if the wait saved is 10-20 minutes. Oddly enough, I'm far better off walking than I am just standing still.

Can anyone decipher this blurry image? I'd really like to know what it says. It will be greatly appreciated if you can.

Going Up: Linear Synchronous Motors located on the horizontal portion of the track turn on in sequence creating a magnetic force. Rare Earth magnets mounted underneath the vehicles conduct large amounts of electric current. As the magnets pass over the LSM together they create magnetic fields that increase the car's speed using the force of magnetic attraction and repulsion. The magnetic fields are so powerful and so precise that the six ton vehicles blast out of the station accelerating to 100 miles per hour in just seven seconds.

Going Down: As the vehicles plunge backward toward the station, the magnets work in reverse as a braking system.

I wish more modern coasters had those sort of things. Very good boredom-killers while in the queues.

Going Up: Linear Synchronous Motors located on the horizontal portion of the track turn on in sequence creating a magnetic force. Rare Earth magnets mounted underneath the vehicles conduct large amounts of electric current. As the magnets pass over the LSM together they create magnetic fields that increase the car's speed using the force of magnetic attraction and repulsion. The magnetic fields are so powerful and so precise that the six ton vehicles blast out of the station accelerating to 100 miles per hour in just seven seconds.

Going Down: As the vehicles plunge backward toward the station, the magnets work in reverse as a braking system.

I wish more modern coasters had those sort of things. Very good boredom-killers while in the queues.

Thank you for that.

I hate to be the guy who asks a million questions. But does anyone know the difference between LSMs and LIMs?

^ In a nutshell: An LSM is a Linear Synchronous Motor while a LIM is a Linear Induction Motor. The synchronous motor has a fixed magnetic field in either the rotor or the stator (in the case of Superman: The Escape it is a permanent magnet on the bottom of the vehicle) while the induction motor uses an induced magnetic field in the reaction plate...the aluminum fin attached to the train.

Found this on CoasterBuzz.com. Also I think this is a bit outdated as Superman: The Escape is now Superman: Escape from Krypton.

^ In a nutshell: An LSM is a Linear Synchronous Motor while a LIM is a Linear Induction Motor. The synchronous motor has a fixed magnetic field in either the rotor or the stator (in the case of Superman: The Escape it is a permanent magnet on the bottom of the vehicle) while the induction motor uses an induced magnetic field in the reaction plate...the aluminum fin attached to the train.

Found this on CoasterBuzz.com. Also I think this is a bit outdated as Superman: The Escape is now Superman: Escape from Krypton.

So a LIM is essentially the same thing but is only "magnetised" when power is applied. And why can't LSMs launch straight out of the station and LIMS can. I read somewhere that the train has to be moving for LSMs to launch. Is this true?

By the way, Lex Luthor was awesome. I was lucky enough to get a ride during which they launched both sides of Superman just a few seconds apart during our ascent. The tower shaking and swaying is seriously freaky when you're that high up. The drop itself was cool and all, but I personally thought the shaking made the ride stand out from other towers.

On a different note, I doubt I'll be riding Green Lantern again. I found it pointless and painful. We spent the majority of the ride facing the ground with the restraints biting into our shoulders and the seat bump attempting to sterilze us. We finally got a flip at the very end, but it came with a gut punch. It seems to me that to get a good ride on this coaster you'd want to be on the lighter side of an unbalanced car. That's not likely to happen for me unless I rode alone, or with a very light person, while there were two heavier than usual people on the other side. With that being fairly unlikely I think I'll just notch the credit and call it good.

Can you imagine putting the Mr. Freeze: Reverse Blast treatment on Full Throttle in the future? It would make for some serious insane ride, having those trains reversed! Could be obvious the reason SFMM made Superman: EFK go backwards (and the new paint job) was to separate it from this new coaster.

So a LIM is essentially the same thing but is only "magnetised" when power is applied. And why can't LSMs launch straight out of the station and LIMS can. I read somewhere that the train has to be moving for LSMs to launch. Is this true?

I've taken a class in electromagnetic conversion, essentially a motor engineering class....but it's been awhile. =P

Actually both can't be started from a stand still, but with some clever wiring it is possible . You can just change the poles on the stator(not moving part) so it repels rather than attract.

Typically LSMs have permanent(doesn't always have to be permanent) magnets on the moving body(rotor), and induction does by "inducing" an opposing field on a nearby magnetic material. You see induction work with chargers that don't use wires, like those charging pads.

If you were wondering why it's called a Linear "Synchronous" motor, because the motors run in sync with the AC freq. So if you hooked up a crude synchronous motor to your home outlet, the motor should spin at 60hz. Of course there are other factors involved so you can adjust the frequency but that gets way to complicated.

I just wish that Riddler's Revenge had the same station of Batman. Batman's station impressed me since it was pretty spacious and has that high ceiling while Riddler's station is like an overcrowded office.

Does anyone know why that air conditioner has NEVER been on before?

The Ice Queen likes it hot.

Yea, you got it...

Hey guys,

Does anybody know why Magic Mountain is open on Wednesday, September 26th? I have never been to California before and am considering planning my trip to use this Wednesday as my day at Magic Mountain since they are only open on weekends. Would you recommend going on this day versus that Saturday or Sunday? Thanks.

Doug

Hey guys,

Does anybody know why Magic Mountain is open on Wednesday, September 26th? I have never been to California before and am considering planning my trip to use this Wednesday as my day at Magic Mountain since they are only open on weekends. Would you recommend going on this day versus that Saturday or Sunday? Thanks.

Doug

Its a LAUSD Unassigned day No School for Students and Staff (Holiday) and on SFMM main page on right hand side they boast they are open school holidays (under weekend tab). Not sure it will play to huge turnout as all Santa Clarita schools are in session so might be late arrive crowd after SCV schools start letting out around noon.