TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

I am curious, however, as to whether anyone has theorized as to why SFMM seems to lean more toward "ooh-aah" type gimmicks rather than the kind of coaster than regularly show up in enthusiast's top ten lists. Obviously it stems from the marketing angle as they clearly have a refined understanding of who their target audience is and how to seduce them with ostentatious displays of showmanship rather than actual ride-ability and design (YOLO). It was mentioned earlier in this thread that SFMM has become more of a coaster museum than anything else -- and I'd agree with that claim, nor do I think that's necessarily a bad thing (although such a museum doesn't hold much appeal to me personally). However, their (and much of California's) aversion to well-designed and award-winning thrill rides in favor of repeated gimmickry does speak to a certain superficiality in which the facade is often a front for something far more vacuous.

Superficial and vacuous - in southern California?

I'm glad I never heard the acronym YOLO before today, although I have been to Yolo County.

I'll reserve judgement on the ride until I've ridden it, but today the Rocky Mountain coasters are more interesting to me. Full Throttle looks like an aborted game of No Limits. I like the idea of their 2014 or 2015 attraction being track continuation for the second half after the big drop, that could easily marketed as something unique, too.

I agree with the comment that they may eliminate the backwards launch at some point, it would be a lot cheaper to run the ride with two (1 1/2?) launches. I can only imagine what their electric bill is.

The only Premier coasters I've been on are the spaghetti bowl launchers at Six Flags America and Kings Island. The KI one was in great shape, not a top ten ride but it was fun. The SFA model wasn't running well when I rode it, it was very bang-y. One and done for me, comparable with their SLC "Mind Eraser."

I agree with the comment that they may eliminate the backwards launch at some point, it would be a lot cheaper to run the ride with two (1 1/2?) launches. I can only imagine what their electric bill is.

I don't think it is as expensive as you think. LIM's are pretty efficient now. Plus, now rides use

I'm a little late to the conversation here but, the thing I'm most excited about for Full Throttle is the fact that I get to ride a Premier. I've barely been on a handful of older generation Premiers so it'll be nice to check out the newer gen of their rides. It's got some cool gimmicks but, as was said before, I don't think those gimmicks will in anyway be powerful enough to make this a flagship ride at the park.

I'm a little late to the conversation here but, the thing I'm most excited about for Full Throttle is the fact that I get to ride a Premier. I've barely been on a handful of older generation Premiers so it'll be nice to check out the newer gen of their rides. It's got some cool gimmicks but, as was said before, I don't think those gimmicks will in anyway be powerful enough to make this a flagship ride at the park.

I like the Premier coasters, too--especcially the Mr. Freeze rides in Texas and Missouri. So, I'm glad that they decided to go with one for Magic Mountain. But I understand the concerns of others over the ride's potential capacity.

^ In general, there rides are very smooth, very fast and in my opinion very creative and intense....there is nothing like riding Mr Freeze or Poltergeist...with only lap bars, especially

I've always said that Premier is like the "American Intamin" in that they get really creative and different with their rides. I would MUCH rather have a Premier coaster doing some bizarre-ass crazy stuff, than a cookie-cutter boring B&M.

I'm hoping this ride will take a lot of people by surprise.

I just only wish it had the capacity of a cookie-cutter, boring B&M, but that's another discussion...

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

This will be my first Premier too.

As others have said, if this ride is as good as Mr. Freeze people are going to be thrilled. I think the ride is going to have shockingly long lines at time due to capacity issues, however beyond that I think the ride is going to be very popular.

As much as I liked SkyRocket at Kennywood, these new Premeir trains are AWFUL! I liked the Mr. Freeze/FOF/Poltergeist trains much better. The new trains have those awful shin guards that I thought were going to break my shins with the crazy airtime SR had. Then the seats are about 3 inches from the seat in front of you and they are just not that comfortable at all. It was very hard to get in and out of the seats because of the restraints bolted into the floor. I wish they would go back to the old trains!

I'm actually really excited about the ride. You definitely can't say it's not unique and it looks like at least some of it follows the terrain.

One thing that I'm slightly disappointed about is that it looks like that beautiful lagoon is gone. I could've sworn that there was talk of them bringing the lagoon back.

Based on the concept art on the website, it looks like the trains may have been redone using "over the shoulder" lap bars similar to the Mack trains and SkyRush instead of the previous method of attaching it from below... or it could be crappy Six Flags artwork using a shot of DDD for the 2x3 train look. How are the Superman restraints attached at SFDK?

Based on the concept art on the website, it looks like the trains may have been redone using "over the shoulder" lap bars similar to the Mack trains and SkyRush instead of the previous method of attaching it from below... or it could be crappy Six Flags artwork using a shot of DDD for the 2x3 train look. How are the Superman restraints attached at SFDK?

If you are referring to the image of the people updside down, that was a picture of SFOG's Dark Devil Dive. They used the same/a similar image to advertise Superman Ultimate Flight at SFDK.

It also looks like this will be heavily using Premier new Double Spine Track.

Im not complaining (because any new coaster to ride excites me, regardless) BUT after watching the POV it does seems that SFMM rushed this and just built it just to add another coaster to their coaster count. It seems they could of put the LJ space to better use then what we get with Full Throttle, but whatever. I will still ride it. SFMM getting lazy???

I got the same feeling. They should have waited a way, added to the water park and build a better coaster.

^ I think that was more of a cost saving thing than a "We have a ride coming soon" thing.

I'm sure when they closed Log Jammer this ride was in development, no question. But they could have conceivably kept Log Jammer open until now but they didn't because the ride cost a LOT to operate and maintain.