TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I also heard the Apocalypse audio hasn't been working lately either......

The speakers on "pocky" have been removed nearly a year ago, so no sound. We broke it at 2010 WCB!

Someone needs to check their sarcasm meter...

Roadrunner construction report...

I was at the mountain this evening. I left when some strange fluid was falling out of the sky on us. I'd guess at least 70% of the track is complete now on Road Runner. I haven't been to the park since Sunday. A lot of work has been completed since then. This one will definitely be done way before Green Lantern, unless it's missing parts or trains.

Those 5 days shouldn't be too bad. The only concern will be if there will be school field trips those days, which are imposible to predict. And crowd levels will be more of a matter of hitting the right rides at the right time, than the entire park being just crowded or empty. But the friday will most likely be the most crowded of the five days.

Alright, sweet. It looks like I'll probably head out there mid-week. But I know that my own school is having a senior trip to Knott's next month in the middle of the week, so I'll keep those other school trips in mind. Thanks for your input!

As we all know, Tatsu has a left station and right station. Why does Tatsu often run only one train per station instead of 2 trains per station? Is it because they don't want trains that just rode the track to sit behind the station for 5 minutes, because riders would be uncomfortable staring at the floor for 5 minutes while the other trains loads?

Well for one, Tatsu only has three trains, not four, so they can't have two trains at a designated station. Second, it rarely runs three trains so it normally has to operate on a 2-2 operation (two trains, two stations) or a 2-1 operation (two trains, one station). It really depends on how many people are working at Tatsu at any given time. If your lucky ebough to see it running three trains, you'll notice how none of the trains have their own station, they each alternate. so no train really has it's "own" station. Hope that makes sense.

Right now, the other two trains are going through an extensive rehab as that is what is required of this B&M at the moment (scheduled rehab). If they could run more trains, they would. It's not like they're running one train on one of their most popular rides for the lols. They have no choice but to operate one train as efficiently as they possibly can.

Okay, that makes sense. But why can't they run 2 trains in one station as a minimum? If they have enough staff to run 1 train, the same staff can run 2 trains, can't they?

Theoretically yes, but some parks have policies that require additional staff members when you add trains. From my own experience I like to have 5 or 6 operators when running two trains while we might only have 2 or 3 when we only run one train. Can it be done with fewer staff? Sure, but that can a daunting task on a hot summer day.

Tatsu Update:

Today they tried to run 2 trains. The first train of the day dispatched, and they queued up the second on the left (same) side. They couldn't unlock it, so they had the first train return to the right side of the station, and we all had to move down the steps to the other side. Not sure if they ever got the second train running. The line was a mess, so I moved on after 1 ride to bigger and better.

They also did something very unusual today. They opened the gates at 10:21 for everyone instead of 10:30. I was in the Discover line and got screwed today.

^I was on the first train and wondered why we returned to the other side of the station when it looked like they had no intention of using it. We left after the first ride so I never saw if they used both sides of the station or ran more than one train. They did have two trains on the track though.

Late Night M.M. Update:

Tatsu:

They finally managed to get 2 trains running on the left side of Tatsu. I observed this at closing today.

Road Runner Express:

After closer observation tonight, all the track work is complete. The remaining part is building the station. It appears like it will have it's own new station.

Right now, the other two trains are going through an extensive rehab as that is what is required of this B&M at the moment (scheduled rehab). If they could run more trains, they would. It's not like they're running one train on one of their most popular rides for the lols. They have no choice but to operate one train as efficiently as they possibly can.

That seems like poor scheduling to me. But it is good they are back up to 2-trains now.

That seems like poor scheduling to me. But it is good they are back up to 2-trains now.

Poor scheduling or perhapse could it be that they are forced to do it that way?

^If they were forced to do it that way, they most likely share some of the blame. Typically ride manufacturers will have required maintenance things that must be done daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly or after a certain amount of cycles have passed. Magic could have scheduled the bigger items to be spaced apart, so 2 trains wouldn't both be overdue at the same time.

Just came back from the park, it was Easter Sunday.

First off, I got there an hour after the park opened and it was PACKED. And I mean PAAACKED. I had to wait 30 minutes to get my season pass processed.

Went over to X2, 2.5 hour line, rode it in the back, great ride. Barely worth the wait.

Headed over to Viper, walk-on, as always a great choice to ride.

Went to Apocalypse............

o

m

g

the line was absoulutely the most unbearable thing I have ever endured. 1 Train, slow workers, a lot of people wanting to get on, and a pre-show thats holding the line even further back. Believe me, if they just let us walk through the pre-show, the line would take 1 hour less than what it was today (almost 3 hours). Going up the lift hill you can see all of Green Lanterns supports and track. Wish I brought my camera INSIDE the park! The ride itself was nowhere near worth it. Still great tho, but the annoying line and the annoying children in front of me....

ON TO SUPERMAN

Right off the bat, when i parked in at the part, they were DUAL LAUNCHING FULL SPEED to the edge of the brakes. This continued for most of the day, and every launch I saw reached the top of the tower.

The line took 40 mintues since I chose to ride the front, which is great since there is nothing in front of you on the tower. The launch was amazing and the height was incredible to say the least. After the ride though, I had this weird feeling as if internally i had been smashed with a sledgehammer. Pain went away in a few minutes, not sure why I had it.

When I was going from Goliath to Revolution , I'm pretty sure I saw Road Runner Express. Lots of track on it. I might be mistaken... but I'm pretty sure I saw RRE half built.

Overall an OK day. went on X2, Viper, Apocalypse, S: EFK, Goliath, and Revolution. Average line wait time was 2 hours.

Nightmare for us enthusiasts no doubt. Good thing I only really came to go on Superman, and it was worth it.

I could see waiting 2.5 hours for X2 if you have never ridden it before...or if you were going off to fight in Afghanistan or Iraq tomorrow, or being executed later this week for some unmentionable crime....but for me, that coaster is NOT worth waiting an hour in line...and I only visit the park 1-2 times a year....I even passed on it during West Coast Bash(us smaller folk tend to do a lot more head banging on the coaster than most of my taller friends who have ridden it with me)

^I believe I have only ever seen FlashPasses sell out at one or two parks over the years. Remember, they have a TON of them cause each unit makes them a crapload of money!

Also, one train on Apocalypse during a Saturday of the biggest Spring Break in the area...ugh.

Question about Flashpass: I just bought mine for my trip (first time!) in June and it says you can pay extra to reserve a seat on X2... Super excited to ride it but does anyone know exactly how much that extra charge is? And is it worth it? Just paid $161 for 3 person gold pass. Thanks!