TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I had a great day at the Mountain today! I actually got 51 rides, and I'm more than a little sore right now.

One last observation. I think Deja Vu is very close to opening. I didn't see any "spare parts" lying around the ride. Also they've got the water dummies in the seats ready for testing. Looks like it won't be long.

I had a great day at the Mountain today! I actually got 51 rides, and I'm more than a little sore right now.

One last observation. I think Deja Vu is very close to opening. I didn't see any "spare parts" lying around the ride. Also they've got the water dummies in the seats ready for testing. Looks like it won't be long.

I asked a park worker when it is expected to reopen. Of course, as a normal SFMM employee, she only knew it was a "late spring" ride, so I guess mid April would make sense.

Off topic, but it looks like SFFMM appears in the movie "Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer."

Goliath appears a 1:15.

EDIT: Sorry if the video doesn't pop up. Don't know how to do that.

Yes that is indeed Goliath, and just because of that short scene, I'm definitely watching this movie!

What is the park like during Spring Break on a Saturday night, was thinking of going this weekend? Have an over night in LA arrive 6.00am Saturday morning leave Sunday at 10.00pm,

Was thinking hitting the mountain from say 5.00pm till close on Saturday and back again Sunday morning. Will the crowds be insane?

Quick question, is Tatsu still on one train operation? Thinking of heading to the mountain sometime this week and need to know if I should take the Revolution exit shortcut for the first ride.

Quick question, is Tatsu still on one train operation? Thinking of heading to the mountain sometime this week and need to know if I should take the Revolution exit shortcut for the first ride.

Yes, this past weekend Tatsu was only a 1 train operation. Take that shortcut and hit it first. That's exactly what I do.

Tatsu with 1 train....ooh...tough to bear. Hope all three are ready to at least tackle the Memorial Day crowd.

Or the LA School District spring break! That's an insane week as well. I think this year its from April 18th to the 22nd.

Was at the park Monday and Tuesday and the crowds were quite light. However the 1 train operations on Tatsu, Apocalypse, and Colossus and only one side of Superman running made some waits a little lengthy. The balance of course was no waiting for any of the other rides, even X2 harldy made it past a 3 or 4 train wait at most. All in all great days at the park. However I will say the food quality (while never amazing to start with) seemed to be worse and far more expensive than what I remembered it being. A friendly reminder why we normally try not to eat full meals while in the park and stick to snacks at most... Oh and still no vertical construction on Green Lantern... yet

Hopefully it's that week. Im planning to go for the April 23rd weekend. Hopefully its not to crowded!

Saturdays are always crowded unless its raining. I think maybe one time during the summer it wasn't crowded because it was over 100 degrees outside. Definitely invest in a Flash Pass, it is well worth it for those busy days.

Tatsu with 1 train....ooh...tough to bear. Hope all three are ready to at least tackle the Memorial Day crowd.

Very tough to bear. So tough they have to close the entrance to the ride to regulate crowd flow. Went to the park today and didn't even bother with Tatsu or Scream because of their horrible 1 train operation.

That "open all year, so they have to get ready for spring break" excuse is BS. The last busy season was Christmas. Four months. That's plenty of time to rehab the trains if they wanted to spend the money.

Props to the Goliath crew though. Two trains and they were hauling ass.

Edited by Jew

Very tough to bear. So tough they have to close the entrance to the ride to regulate crowd flow. Went to the park today and didn't even bother with Tatsu or Scream because of their horrible 1 train operation.

That "open all year, so they have to get ready for spring break" excuse is BS. The last busy season was Christmas. Four months. That's plenty of time to rehab the trains if they wanted to spend the money.

This is the exact reason I'm cringing thinking about how long the line for GL will be this summer......

Scream I always found odd because they'll have 1 train on a busy spring break weekend and have 3 trains running on a Sunday in February.....

Props to the Goliath crew though. Two trains and they were hauling A$$.

The Goliath crew is the only crew in the park the consistently is pumping out trains like crazy. Goliath is also the only ride that runs 3 trains most consistently all summer.

Thinking about heading up tomorrow, getting there at opening, sprinting to the Flash Pass building, and braving the crowds. Wish me luck! Still up in the air about it though. I want to try to get some night rides in.

I'll try to check on Scream's ops on a busy Saturday, but I don't ride it anymore. (Goliath lift hill, here I come!) My ears are the perfect height for those rock hard OTSRs.

[edit]: Does anyone know if Superman is available on Flash Passes? Is limited to Gold or Platinum? Or is it an extra charge like X2?

Mountain Update:

All coasters are now running. Deja Vu opened today, and I rode it this morning. Typical busy Saturday. I'll return later today since they're open until 9. Quite chilly this morning.

Superman - Operations very sporadic

Tatsu - 1 train

"Pocky" - 1 train

The place I work at is part of some entertainment discount group and they put out a monthly news letter with discount tickets for all kinds of fun stuff through out Southern California.

This months flyer caught my eye because it lists a private party at SFMM on Friday May 6th from 6 till midnight

Anyone know who exactly is buying out the park and if they oversell the hell out of it or not? Its only 36 bucks a ticket so the price is very tempting for 6 hours of potentially oversold ERT. I just don't want to show up to find out that everyone else in So Cal had the same idea.

It's most likely just a multiple business corporate buyout. For example, here's one for the week before yours:

On Friday, April 29, from 6 p.m. to midnight, members of the Caltech community and other selected organizations are invited to a private party at Six Flags Magic Mountain. The park will be closed to the public during this time, and free parking will be offered after 5 p.m. To purchase tickets, go to http://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain and enter promotion code CALTECHAPR.

Private Party admission: $24.99 per person

Private Party admission with buffet: $34.99 per person

Children under 2 get in for free

These can be really hit or miss depending on which group(s) are going that day. I've been to buyouts that were empty, and ones that were busier than the normal day.

I remember going to one back in I think 2003, because Scream was brand new. And it was by far the busiest I had ever seen the park. It was a long time ago but from what I remember goliath's line was full switchbacks and outside of the letters, batman's was full switchbacks and stretched out into gotham city park. And viper's line was going down the hill beyond X's bridge. And all three of those were only running one train. Those were the only three rides we did in the 4 or 5 hours we were there. And it was late at night and raining. But even though it was one of my least favorite experiences at the park, it was the first time I rode Goliath, Viper, and Batman. So it was somewhat fun.