TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^ What was the status of the Roller Skater? Any sign of construction?

Just got back from the park. They've started to dig the footing holes and insert both the forms and rebar. I suspect concrete should be poured by next weekend. I'd post a pic for you, but I know how much you like those.

Update: After looking at some my photos on the larger monitor, I can now see that a couple of the footings have already received concrete.

Edited by TheCoasterGuy

^ Did you see X2 running? Hope they get the Superman issues worked out. It looks like so much fun!

Yes, X2 was running. That's more than I could say for "poor Superman" right now.

Awesome! Even if X2 is the only coaster open for WCB, I'm there!

(Okay, X2 and Goliath, Riddler, and Apocolypsator.)

Thanks for filling us in!

Thanks Eric for describing the layout - I bet it was a fun ride, even if you didn't have to create more excitement within the cars It's unfortunate that skyway rides are a thing of the past - at least here in So Cal. (I know the zoo and Sea World SD have them, but it'd be nice to ride one where you go for other rides, compared to going to a place that revolves around animals.) Does that make sense?

It must have been a pretty good fall to the midway for a fatality to occur.

First, it's always my pleasure to share details of SFMM. I first went there in 1971 just after turning 12, and have been back each and every year since. I never worked at the park, but you do pick up little tidbits of knowledge along the way if you keep your eyes open.

I'm sure I've mentioned it somewhere here, but one time while riding Eagle's Flight along the north/south route, we happened to ride with a park official who was on his way back to the office and caught an Eagle's Flight car to get back down. While some 100 feet up, somewhere above what is now the Golden Bear Theater (then "Showcase Theatre"), we asked about what the park had planned for the future. Of course he couldn't be specific, but did say that "plans were to expand the park to the point to where the Sky Tower would eventually be in the center."

We know, of course, that SFMM never expanded that much, though it is quite a bit larger now than it was then.

And I too have noticed that here in California, skyrides are scarce. To my knowledge, only SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo, and CGA have them now. My guess is that they're expensive to maintain and repair, as well as insure.

Eric

While some 100 feet up, somewhere above what is now the Golden Bear Theater (then "Showcase Theatre"), we asked about what the park had planned for the future. Of course he couldn't be specific, but did say that "plans were to expand the park to the point to where the Sky Tower would eventually be in the center."

And I too have noticed that here in California, skyrides are scarce. To my knowledge, only SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo, and CGA have them now. My guess is that they're expensive to maintain and repair, as well as insure.

Eric

Woah.. I never would have imagined that it was that high off the ground, but I guess considering SFMM's topography, it could easily be that high, if not higher in some spots?

It is too bad that SFMM didn't go according to plan in terms of size - but based on rumors a few years ago about it closing down ( ) and a lot of my friends thinking that it is closed, I'm happy about its current state, and hope it continues to do well in the future; I don't think I'd be satisfied with the other coaster offerings in SoCal.

Since I'm quite the Disney nerd myself when it comes to the park's history, I always love hearing about the history of other parks! Thanks again! And make sure you copyright your proprietary information - wouldn't want anyone to steal it.

^^Isn't SCBB more of a chairlift attraction? I know its kind of the same, but the main difference between that and the gondolas found at SFMM and DLR is that the cars detached from these attractions in the station, where the chairs do not.

^ While I won't be there, I have to agree with that. The new pre-show is...[whispers] not very good.

Just a note about skyrides, I think Eagle's Flight was made by Intamin, as were many of the original attractions (the old Galaxy double Ferris wheel, Orient Express, and I think possibly even Sky Tower, but I'm not sure). So in a sense, getting the Intamin ZacSpin is like the park returning to its roots.

Eric

^ While I won't be there, I have to agree with that. The new pre-show is...[whispers] not very good.

Just a note about skyrides, I think Eagle's Flight was made by Intamin, as were many of the original attractions (the old Galaxy double Ferris wheel, Orient Express, and I think possibly even Sky Tower, but I'm not sure). So in a sense, getting the Intamin ZacSpin is like the park returning to its roots.

Eric

I always thought Intamin opened in 1979-ish, and the park opened in 1971. Therefore, they would have had to wait for a while to get those rides.

I always thought Intamin opened in 1979-ish, and the park opened in 1971. Therefore, they would have had to wait for a while to get those rides.

Intamin's first coaster was in 1979 w/ Jr. Gemini. I'm pretty sure that that they were designing other rides before then, tho I could be wrong.

Just a note about skyrides, I think Eagle's Flight was made by Intamin, as were many of the original attractions (the old Galaxy double Ferris wheel, Orient Express, and I think possibly even Sky Tower, but I'm not sure).

FYI, Sky Tower is Intamin. I was poking around Intamin's site and found out that they still offer "lattice towers" for sale, which I thought was interesting.

So since WCB killed the audio last year could you guys kill the pre-show this year?

-Cookie

AMEN!!

Actually, since last year we had custom audio, this year Robb should shoot his own custom preshow. Elissa could run around in a black tank top with guns, cause that's what happens in the apocalypse, women put on black tank tops and grab guns.

I'm sure I've mentioned it somewhere here, but one time while riding Eagle's Flight along the north/south route, we happened to ride with a park official who was on his way back to the office and caught an Eagle's Flight car to get back down. While some 100 feet up, somewhere above what is now the Golden Bear Theater (then "Showcase Theatre"), we asked about what the park had planned for the future. Of course he couldn't be specific, but did say that "plans were to expand the park to the point to where the Sky Tower would eventually be in the center."

We know, of course, that SFMM never expanded that much, though it is quite a bit larger now than it was then.

When I worked at MM, we often used the transportation rides to get around the park once it was open...we weren't allowed to operate any motorized vehicles in customer areas once customers had come in the front gate; for myself(when I was in the entertainment division), my first two jobs after the park opened were setting up the Dixieland band near the front gate, then once I made sure all their sound equipment was working, going over the hill to Old Time Country stage (just past the Jet Stream) and checking with the three sites (wine tasting, pottery, and bandstand) that used our equipment...and since I couldn't use the shop truck, it was faster to take the Funicular up the hill, then the Banzai Buckets down the short side to El Dorado station...around the bumper boats and I was there...otherwise, in those days I would have had to walk all the way around the park...I can remember when the plan was for the Sky Tower was supposed to be the center of the park, but in those days, Hurricane Harbor didn't exist, even in planning form...there were 5 or 6 of us who used to get to stay in the tower during the nightly fireworks show so we could spot for fires with binoculars...that was pretty trippy, especially if you'd "partaken" earlier...which was another good use for the longer branch of Eagle's Flight...you could pretty much inhale an entire joint while in mid-air. (And no, I never partook when I was responsible for customers safety-but after work-whew!-it was the 70's in SoCal!).

Also, there was still a sky ride at Santa Cruz Boardwalk the last time I was there (about 3 1/2 years ago)...it may be gone now though...used to love the Fred Flinstone dummies they'd circulate for balancing purposes.

^

Eric

Not sure on the maker, but the Galaxy was perhaps the worst ride ever put into MM...it was so large that it would snap off gears on a regular basis, and it would sometimes take upwards of 2 hours to get people off of it...and it was broken more often than it ran over the three years I worked there...