TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^In all honesty, sticking his head up did give him the best vantage point....well, up until, you know.

Yeah, maybe he was looking the other way and didn't even see it coming. But, can you imagine turning around and all of a sudden a rollercoaster train is coming right at you? Yikes!

I just got my e-mail... I will definitely be at the Media Day on March 16th!

I got my confirmation email today too I've already ridden it 11 times during the rehearsals. I hope to ride more this weekend before the Media Event. It's a great rush...

I'm really digging the posts about SFMM's history - great entertainment and information!

So, if I understand correctly, the fatality involving the newlyweds took place on a sky-ride type of ride? The car fell of the cable?

^ At one time, SFMM had a ride called "Eagles Flight," which was the same type of ride as Disneyland's Skyway. SFMM's version had two routes in sort of a "V" layout; both lines ran from what was called the Shangri-La Station on top of the mountain. That building is still there---it is the "V" shaped building near Ninja in the attached picture. You can see where it is in proximity to Tatsu's "egg turn" and Ninja's final lift hill. I think they put a maze in there during Fright Fest.

One of the lower stations was close to where Freefall used to be and was known as the El Dorado Station. That route was removed sometime in the early '80s. The other lower station was located about where the Superman tower is now and was known as the Galaxy Station. It was on this route where the accident occurred. (I mentioned earlier that the gondola fell from the cable and landed approximately where Superman's track goes over the midway.) This route was removed after being damaged in the 1994 Northridge earthquake.

Eric

1895294453_Shangri-LaStationatSFMM.JPG.b5e6418df7ab17a81f76a3440fd0bcd2.JPG

^ @ Eric and thecoasterguy-

NOW I know what that building is for; I've walked by it numerous times and figured it used to be for some sort of ride.

Thanks Eric for describing the layout - I bet it was a fun ride, even if you didn't have to create more excitement within the cars It's unfortunate that skyway rides are a thing of the past - at least here in So Cal. (I know the zoo and Sea World SD have them, but it'd be nice to ride one where you go for other rides, compared to going to a place that revolves around animals.) Does that make sense?

It must have been a pretty good fall to the midway for a fatality to occur.

Here's a nice close-up of the Eagle's Flight Shangri-La station:

thumb_sfmm_shangrila.jpg.12da8c1c87ac11bb60db487069f2eff9.jpg

Oh, thank goodness you watermarked that photo! There's got to be tons of sites out there who would be looking to steal your photo of the abandoned Eagle's Flight station. Although, I think your watermark is a bit small. Could you possible make it a little bigger so it's not mistaken who took the picture?

Thank you!

Edited by robbalvey

And I thought we forgot about that. Oh well.

Disclaimer! You need a sense of humor to view our site,

if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!

I find it funny. If you think about it, why would you watermark a picture of an abandoned building at SFMM?

No offense to the photographer, but there are photos that are more deserving of watermarks.

why would you watermark a picture of an abandoned building at SFMM?

Because... DAMMIT... It's an IMPORTANT photo... someone might want to STEAL it and make MILLIONS from it!!!

--Robb "Watermarks are almost as annoying as randomly capitalized words..." Alvey

Incredibly sad and pathetic that you start arguing about a simple watermark Robb. My respect for you and TPR has been taken down another notch. If the photographer wants to protect his property, let it be. The watermark could be much more annoying. Stop trying to pick fights, then post it on Facebook/Twitter to get more traffic. That's really low of a site owner to do.

Incredibly sad and pathetic that you start arguing about a simple watermark Robb. My respect for you and TPR has been taken down another notch. If the photographer wants to protect his property, let it be. The watermark could be much more annoying. Stop trying to pick fights, then post it on Facebook/Twitter to get more traffic. That's really low of a site owner to do.

Watermarks and copyrights are important for businesses that rely on their photography for revenue: school photos, tabloid pictures, press pictures, etc. If a company shoots hundreds of school photos, and sends out proofs without watermarks before the students/parents buy them, they wouldn't make money. But when you're a hobbyist photographer taking pictures for fun, and for the joy of others, I coudn't care less who took the photo.. I do thoroughly enjoy DSLR/high def images, and I respect the photographers time and energy in taking the photos and editing them, but to slap a watermark on them is inappropriate.