TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Thanks for backing me up on that one, Elissa. The tapings were basically the reason I joined ACE and if they were not going to invite me to those then I really had no business sending them 55 dollars a year or whatever it was.

It was for Deja Vu at around 5:30AM, and I had just ridden in the same train as the anchor. We all got stuck on the first tower, and when she got off to interview people, she prefaced it by asking 'Were you scared or woozy when we were up there? Trying not to sound negative (ace tisk tisk), I said something to the effect of 'It was really exciting, and for moment I thought I might feel sick but I didn't and it turned out to be a great ride!'

Well, when it aired they just put 'I thought I might feel sick!' and cut it. Oh well, it was fun.

Thanks for backing me up on that one, Elissa. The tapings were basically the reason I joined ACE and if they were not going to invite me to those then I really had no business sending them 55 dollars a year or whatever it was.

It was for Deja Vu at around 5:30AM, and I had just ridden in the same train as the anchor. We all got stuck on the first tower, and when she got off to interview people, she prefaced it by asking 'Were you scared or woozy when we were up there? Trying not to sound negative (ace tisk tisk), I said something to the effect of 'It was really exciting, and for moment I thought I might feel sick but I didn't and it turned out to be a great ride!'

Well, when it aired they just put 'I thought I might feel sick!' and cut it. Oh well, it was fun.

Wow, that's ridiculous they would do that.

At least when you're riding with other ACEers, the rides probably go a lot faster, right?

^Yeah, ACE Members are basically told exactly what to say and do. They don't actually REVIEW the ride.

There's being positive and thankful to the park, then there's just being a lemming.

This is exactly it. SFMM has actually expressed to me in the past that, while they understand that we allow people to post honest and sometimes harsh commentary, and it's part of what sets TPR apart from other sites, they don't have to like it.

You're more often going to see a group like ACE invited to those tapings to "fill the trains" because ACE members are not allowed, as per their code of conduct, to say anything negative, when asked by a member of the media:

When interacting with representatives of the press or media, ACE members are expected to speak enthusiastically about all parks and roller coasters. While members may have strong opinions about parks and roller coasters, they are to avoid negative criticism to representatives of the press or media.

I do not believe in this mentality at all. Club TPR/TPR's take on it in our code of conduct is very different:

9. We welcome all Club TPR members to visit parks and write their reviews and reports on Theme Park Review, but please keep your review or report constructive. We want our members to feel that they can report honestly and accurately their experience at a park, but if your report happens to include negative experiences, please write them constructively. A well written constructive criticism can actually HELP a park improve. Poorly written rants, complaints or “flame” posts may result in your suspension from Theme Park Review and Club TPR.

I would not tolerate someone saying "This ride was crap. Garbage. God Awful. Anyone that rides it is an idiot." But if someone were to say "It didn't meet my expectations because of reason X, Y, and Z..." I would think that would be very respectable, and many parks actually feel the same way.

Keep in mind that ACE also does not have an online presence, or a public forum like TPR has. So even if an ACE member has something negative to say, you won't see it posted on any official ACE website, and they are not allowed to say it anyway.

I'd rather keep my integrity and be able to post honest opinions about something.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

You're more often going to see a group like ACE invited to those tapings to "fill the trains" because ACE members are not allowed, as per their code of conduct, to say anything negative, when asked by a member of the media:

When interacting with representatives of the press or media, ACE members are expected to speak enthusiastically about all parks and roller coasters. While members may have strong opinions about parks and roller coasters, they are to avoid negative criticism to representatives of the press or media.

Keep in mind that ACE also does not have an online presence, or a public forum like TPR has. So even if an ACE member has something negative to say, you won't see it posted on any official ACE website, and they are not allowed to say it anyway.

Geez, talk about being repressed. Nothing in life is perfect.. And, as you explained, constructive criticism is key.

^ I know. And people give us crap for posting options? We just don't want people to be douchebags about it when they post. In almost every case where someone was banned from TPR for having "an opinion" it wasn't actually about their opinion, it was how they presented it.

You can be honest, you can even be harsh, but you can do it without being a jerk. ACE doesn't even allow you to do that. They basically TELL YOU what your opinion is going to be. TPR has never...EVER told people anything like that.

--Robb

^ You should go, have a great time, and ride it a lot! And be sure to tell all the other ACErs how awesome TPR is!

Ha Robb,

We'll see. Just, when I see you you at WCB don't go around saying I'm evil like at KBF's haunt last year. Just joking. You're great. 'Winning'

By all means, you should go! They ARE a great deal of fun, there is always LOTS of free food available, and you get to ride the coaster a lot. Just remember when you are talking to the media, you have to be a robot and say something like 'This ride was awesome!' or 'It was really fun!' or anything else an excited ten year old would say.

So, to be able to purchase tickets for WCB at SFMM, all I have to do is be registered on TPR (a.k.a have a username)? Sorry if this is a stupid question, however, this would be my first year going, and I really want to show a couple of my friends who have only been to SFDK how cool this park is!

I am 6'1" and 315lb. Are there any rides that should be avoided due to my size?

The only problem ride I see is Riddler's. Batman and Scream you'll need to be in rows 4 or 5. If you have any doubt, my recommendation would be to go up the exit to check restraint fit prior to waiting in line.

In regards to time, your only wait longer than 30 minutes will probably be X2.

Just for future reference and the benefit of anyone else who comes to this forum with a similar question, I will follow up with my experience.

No problems: X2, Tatsu, Ninja

Barely fit: Goliath, Apocalypse

Not able to ride: Scream (even in the special seat), Batman, Riddlers

Honestly for these rides it wasn't even close. Probably would have needed at least 2 more ratchets on the restraint and it wasn't happening. Also a no go for Xcellerator at Knott's. The restraint was fine but the stupid lap seatbelt wasn't long enough.

^Seriously. Just like Magnum.

I wonder what they're doing - I wouldn't think it's anything major, but it just gets me all curious!

Eh, the Matterhorn has been "sinking" since Magnum was just a twinkle in Ron Toomer's eye, at least if you believe the old timers who used to troll on a.d.d. and r.a.d.p.