TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ Isn't this "technical rehearsal" this weekend only?

Also the Six Flags Magic Mountain Facebook page posted they need people for filming on thursday the 24th!

I will be there on the twenty fourth Shawn, wanna face fear backwards!

^^This was posted a few pages back, and the park is closed that day so no admission is needed.

If anybody is interested in doing the filming for Superman commercials, SFMM just posted info on their FB page:

On Thursday, February 24th we are filming the Superman: Escape from Krypton commercial and need riders. Riders must be available for the entire day (8:00am – 4:30pm). Riders will be paid $50 at the completion of the day. Continental breakfast and lunch will be provided.

All riders must be 18 and over and must meet all safety requirements of the ride. Proof of age may be required. This shoot is does not fall under the jurisdiction of SAG or AFTRA so union members may not participate.

If interested please send your name, address, e-mail and phone number along with a current photo of yourself to sfmmevents@sixflags.com.

Due to the possibility of rain the shoot may be moved to the following week. Please let us know if you are available any of those days as well. You will receive a response from the filming supervisor to confirm.

Hooray for Arm Guards!!!

Do the arm guards include the last row? I can't really see from the picture you posted, but I'm guessing yes. I hope not since I always like to ride with my arms up. Looks like that won't happen anymore on Superman. Oh well, at least the backwards launch, increased speed 100+, and to the top hopefully will make up for that. Middle seats look like hands up!

Wish I would have seen that earlier ... sigh.

We showed up at 11 got our "ticket" to ride between 12 and 1. Showed up back at 12 and nothing. Met up with EBL, had some lunch, did some rides. At 3:00 they were saying it may open at about 5:00 but we had been at the park since 10:30 so decided not to stick around.

Still, had a fun day at the park. Riddlers and Ninja are back to 2 train operation which was nice. Everything we rode was pretty much a walk-on. Tatsu looked to have about a 60 minute line when we walked by a little before noon (and again at 3:00 as Orient Express was down).

EBL stayed so hopefully he will update if it actually did ever open today. At least it didn't start testing when we were driving out of the parking lot.

Apocalypse was only 1 train operation still. Seems to be the only coaster in the park currently with 1 train.

EDIT: Wow, some of the comments on the SFMM Facebook page about the ride not opening today are really saddening. I'm just going to copy what I said over there:

I was at the park today ready to ride, and unfortunately was unable to. I don't blame the park AT ALL for this. It's a "Technical Rehearsal" for a new ride. A "Benefit" of being a passholder, not something the park had to do.

For those complaining, stop ... the park doesn't have to do this kind of stuff and bad attitudes will make sure they don't do it again.

The staff manning the entry area for those with tickets couldn't have been more awesome answering questions.

Even without Superman, we had a great day at the park.

People have short memories, does nobody remember that after "Light Tragic" and the DCA preview weekends, Disneyland no longer has special Passholder previews or events?

Apocalypse was only 1 train operation still. Seems to be the only coaster in the park currently with 1 train.

Revolution took a train off the track today just after opening, when asked, the operator said it needed "some work" done to it. Everything else was double train, which was good to see. Tatsu, Apocalypse, Riddler, and X2 were the only ones that had measurable waits. All other lines weren't too bad at all. Riddler was back to 2 trains, and obviously stacking big time. Tatsu's ops weren't much better, but what else is new?

Only thing I have worth posting:

P2200016.thumb.JPG.4079a8728452c50eed7d62ec1dfbbde6.JPG

Cyclone Bay repaint muahahaha!!!! ....Or the rain just washed it away.

Bummer from SFMM's Facebook:
Today's Thrill Pass SEFK "technical rehearsal" is delayed and may not happen today due to last night's rain storm.

-Cookie

Good I wasn't going insane. I was keeping an eye out for a car going up the tower all day but didn't see one. Too bad, but we have plenty of time to ride it in the future!

EDIT: Wow, some of the comments on the SFMM Facebook page about the ride not opening today are really saddening. I'm just going to copy what I said over there:

I was at the park today ready to ride, and unfortunately was unable to. I don't blame the park AT ALL for this. It's a "Technical Rehearsal" for a new ride. A "Benefit" of being a passholder, not something the park had to do.

For those complaining, stop ... the park doesn't have to do this kind of stuff and bad attitudes will make sure they don't do it again.

The staff manning the entry area for those with tickets couldn't have been more awesome answering questions.

Even without Superman, we had a great day at the park.

People have short memories, does nobody remember that after "Light Tragic" and the DCA preview weekends, Disneyland no longer has special Passholder previews or events?

Thanks for the update on Termilypse..

I agree on the FB comments - truly disheartening. The post simply had to do with the current delay/situation because of an immense downpour the night before. People were discrediting TPR members when they said they rode it yesterday (Saturday) - implying that they were liars.

Plus, people were dragging TPR members into the mix.. I just don't get it. Some of the stuff that was brought up - wow. GROW UP people!!!

I got out to SFMM today just after 11, and figured that by the time I made my way up to check in for Superman, it would be noon and they would start letting us in.

Nope. Not ready yet, so I walked down the hill and rode Gold Rusher and Riddler's Revenge (back to two train operation, by the way ), then gave Gregg (Sir Clinksalot) a call. He and son Josh were waiting up at Superman. We met up and had lunch at Johnny Rockets before heading over to Goliath. The end of the line there was at the top of the stairs, so we were on in about three trains or so.

After a ride on Orient Express back to the top of the hill, we checked back to see if Superman was running. It still wasn't, so we went to Sky Tower. The Magic of the Mountain museum had minimal displays because the tower will be undergoing some renovations (exactly what, we weren't told). Back down, we checked Superman again. Nope, still not running. We waited for quite some time, then Gregg and Josh decided to leave.

I waited some more, then went to ride Ninja. Two-train operation, so it didn't take long for a ride in the front seat. I'd ridden about as much as I wanted to, so I just hung out at the Superman check-in and talked to the people there for awhile, in hopes of the ride opening. For a long time, it looked like it wouldn't open, but then we saw a car launch. Then another. Then another.

After about a half dozen launches for testing, Neal Thurman came out to announce that we needed to have our season pass and the ticket issued to us in hand because...we're goin' in. It was about 6:45pm.

The former waiting area (just before the doors to enter the launch chamber) has been redone in a bright color. Once inside, you're seated as before. I got one ride in the last row with three others, and I happened to be sitting next to the dreaded arm guard/restraint. It's a bit uncomfortable, but not terrible.

Cars are launched with some force, but not what I was expecting (of course this was a technical rehearsal, so results may vary in the next month while they fine-tune it). By the time I took my first ride, it was already dark, but the tower does have some lighting on it. It was easy to see that we were well into the red section of the tower at the peak of our ride. Unfortunately, there's little or no more of the good floater airtime from before---perhaps because of the new position of the riders.

Neal was on hand during our ride, and it only took about three launches to clear out everyone who was there. He told me that if we wanted to ride again, we could exit and go back in the front entrance of the Fortress. As mentioned, I took my first ride in the back, so for my second, I rode in the front. With only two seats, they aren't close enough to the walls of the tunnel to require the arm thingies, so the ride was a bit more comfortable in that respect. No one else rode in my row, so I was the only one in Row 1.

SFMM did a nice job with this. You guys are going to enjoy it.

Eric

Edited by ebl