TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

What happened with knotts and the painted brakes?

Pony Express' brakes were painted and during a rollback they failed to stop the train and it hit the train in the station.

Well luckily this ride is designed to have rollbacks every cycle. Now lets just hope the car doesn't blast its way off the end of the tower!

Unless the paint can somehow stop a magnetic field, Superman wont have the problem that Pony Express had. PE uses friction brakes to prevent a rollback, and since they were painted, they were slipperier, and couldn't stop the train. Superman uses frictionless magnetic brakes, so that same problem can't happen on it.

Unless the paint can somehow stop a magnetic field, Superman wont have the problem that Pony Express had. PE uses friction brakes to prevent a rollback, and since they were painted, they were slipperier, and couldn't stop the train. Superman uses frictionless magnetic brakes, so that same problem can't happen on it.

Well obviously. I was wondering when somebody was going to say that.

We were at the park yesterday from about 3-5 and didn't see Superman testing at all. My son said he saw it testing when we were parking, but I didn't see/hear it when we were in the park.

Speaking of the park, it was REALLY crowded yesterday. I guess it was some kind of Baptist day? Everything was at least 45 minutes long (even Ninja). The only things we rode were Orient Express and Scream (which was only about a 25 minute wait).

The only real change I saw from last week construction wise is some more holes at Green Lantern and some re-bar is there as well.

Strange...I'm a Baptist and I never even heard of that event! But I also know better than to go to SFMM on a Saturday at any time of the year (except WCB).

Just think---in about a month, we'll be riding Superman!

Isn't Road Runner Express supposed to open in March as well? Gregg, did you notice any construction in that area? I wouldn't think it would take too long to get that up and running since the ride itself is already on site.

Eric

Isn't Road Runner Express supposed to open in March as well? Gregg, did you notice any construction in that area? I wouldn't think it would take too long to get that up and running since the ride itself is already on site.

The only real change at the RRE site this week was a giant hole. It looks like they started to dig for the new footings and came across some old footings that hadn't been removed. Big chunks of old concrete and rebar way underground. I hope to have some photos I took posted up to my site tomorrow. I'll post one here like I did with the Superman pic.

I wonder if RRE is going to open in time for WCB given the condition of the site. I'm sure that it probably will go up in no time, but I wonder how long the testing and permitting process will take. Does anyone know?

I am getting so excited for WCB and for Green Lantern later this year. Thanks for the update!

We were at the park yesterday from about 3-5 and didn't see Superman testing at all. My son said he saw it testing when we were parking, but I didn't see/hear it when we were in the park.

Speaking of the park, it was REALLY crowded yesterday. I guess it was some kind of Baptist day? Everything was at least 45 minutes long (even Ninja). The only things we rode were Orient Express and Scream (which was only about a 25 minute wait).

The only real change I saw from last week construction wise is some more holes at Green Lantern and some re-bar is there as well.

Were all the operations acceptible? I realize that you only rode one coaster and Orient Express, but I was just wondering how SFMM responded to high levels of crowds this early in the year. Thanks.

I did a little research and found that apparently during an investor meeting at Six Flags, it was announced that Road Runner Express would open on March 19, 2011, the same day as Superman---Escape From Krypton.

Source: Wikipedia

Of course, being Wikipedia, you can sometimes take things with a grain of salt...

Eric

^^ Operations on Scream were ok, not great. Since we didn't ride anything else, can't really comment on the operations of the other stuff. I will say that when I was taking pictures by Green Lantern we only saw one Batman train on the course, and that was at least around 5 minutes. Not sure if that was down to 1 train as well?

^ I think it was reported by a few other sources that Road Runner was going to open the same day as Superman.

This is from a Six Flags Press release back in January:

Relocated: A 28-foot-tall junior coaster -- formerly known as Road Runner Express at the now-shuttered Six Flags New Orleans park -- will also make its debut March 19 at Magic Mountain. The coaster was originally scheduled to open last summer at Magic Mountain as Mr. Six's DanceCoaster, but the park postponed the launch and dropped the name. After considering a new theme based on DC Comics superhero sidekicks, the park opted for simplicity and will name the coaster Road Runner Express. The coaster, which will have a 36-inch height requirement, replaces the former Sierra Falls water-tube slide.

Went to the park yesterday 2/13. Superman was testing the other side with the new backwards car. No water dummies yet but went right up to the brake run. Being an ex-employee that worked back when Superman first open; I'm excited to see it getting an upgrade and possibly running at it's promised potential.

Hi all,

I plan to head to SFMM next Saturday. Staying at LAX so my only real option to get there is by a bus tour -- I've looked at a few of the available tours but can't find much information about what time they leave SFMM bar one which leaves at 5:15pm... I'm guessing this is not nearly enough time to cram in everything. Does anyone know of any tours that actually leave at the park's closing time?

Cheers,

Liam

^You can take a Fly Away shuttle to LA Union Station, then the Metrolink train up to the park, then a bus or taxi

It will take you hours in both directions but hey, if you need more time....

http://www.lawa.org/flyaway/

http://www.metro.net

http://www.santaclaritatransit.com/

v Thanks for the metroLINK site, EBL

Edited by WFChris