TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I thought spin out was the best flat SMFF ever had. I remember being scared $hitless the first time I rode it as a small child. My friend told me the floor dropped out and I had visions of the floor dropping and just disappearing into a bottomless pit. Maybe it was the relief in finding out that it slowly drops a few feet that twisted my young mind into loving it.

Edited by TheErik

The trouble with flat rides is that SFMM has become known as the Coaster Capital of the World, and nothing less will do in terms of future additions to the park. Another thing to think about is how many people who whine about lack of flat rides will actually get on them? Personally, there are some I can live without, but I would definitely ride a Frisbee or something like La Revolucion. An extended Disk-O like CGA's Survivor would be a good addition in my opinion.

Space? There are so many places at SFMM where a ride could fit. And any future coasters could certainly wind above and around existing ones. And, of course, aging rides like Grinder Gearworks and Atom Smasher (both added in 1974) will be removed/replaced at some point.

I also saw Atom Smasher torn to pieces, but I think I saw a sign that said it was being refurbished.

Note to Robb: I hope I didn't interrupt anything when I ran into you and Neal on Sunday under Revolution's lift hill. Neal is always pleasant when I encounter him in the park, as are you. I think it was the first time I ran into both of you at the same time, though.

Eric

The trouble with flat rides is that SFMM has become known as the Coaster Capital of the World, and nothing less will do in terms of future additions to the park. Another thing to think about is how many people who whine about lack of flat rides will actually get on them?

I may be in the minority but I hit up almost all the flats when I make the weekly circuit ( I almost got kicked off the swings last week for having to much fun ).

I do understand that SFMM has taken the direction of being "THE EXTREME PARK" and I'm with that. I love the steel and wood that has been added in the last few years. ( I feel as if Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage ala the the late 80's should be yelling "OH YEAAAAAAAA" when ever THE EXTREME PARK is said.) but just a tiny fraction of the dough spent an all the crazy EXTREME rides would keep the flats running.

I want to see them get a giant Huss frisbee! ... 55!

And that would fit WHERE?

Samurai Summit. Pave the old Skyway building and have it swing out over the ledge there. A big Screamin Swing would also be awesome there.

But really, as Elissa already said, are you seriously suggesting that SFMM is out of room??? Please....

^Yeah, considering Glenwood Springs fit a Screamin Swing on the edge of a cliff, shouldn't be too bad...

But still, a Giant Frisbee wouldn't be easy to put in the park. Not saying they're out of room, but I am saying that placing a flat ride with that big of a footprint in the park could be difficult. It's 101'x'60'. Could that fit on the Skyway?

^^ OH Man! That looks awesome!

On the subject of space..If MM had the cash (which it seems not to) It could consolidate all its make shift portable office space into one low rise building and gain a few acres. Same for the parking lot, like Disney did.

^Yeah, considering Glenwood Springs fit a Screamin Swing on the edge of a cliff, shouldn't be too bad...

But still, a Giant Frisbee wouldn't be easy to put in the park. Not saying they're out of room, but I am saying that placing a flat ride with that big of a footprint in the park could be difficult. It's 101'x'60'. Could that fit on the Skyway?

Ahh, is that for real? Omg I just peed myself!

^Yes, it's for real. It's at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs, CO. I have a POV of it as well (after the Canyon Flyer POV, taken with permission).

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Glenwood_dn2z[/coastertube]

It looks like a lot of Maintainence and Service buildings back there... idk if it would be economical to move them? Perhaps moving the parking lot would be better but that might ruin their maitenance routes. Ideally I would like to see all that move but... that is costly.

Would be nice to see them purge themselves of some stuff and fill the voids with some quality. Looks like they are moving in the right direction though.

We will see.

A two-level parking structure covering half of the existing parking lot could free up the other half (in theory), and being only two levels not be so visually obtrusive. A three-level one would be a bit taller and obstruct a little more unless they went a bit underground, and it would free up even more space. But such a structure is pretty expensive to build and maintain, so I don't see that happening any time soon. How nice it would have been for Six Flags to pick up that property at The Old Road and Magic Mountain Parkway and put in an entertainment district and some additional parking.

So it goes. The future at SFMM will be interesting...

Eric

^Yes, it's for real. It's at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs, CO. I have a POV of it as well (after the Canyon Flyer POV, taken with permission).

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Glenwood_dn2z[/coastertube]

That was crazy! I could see one of these (swings) on the summit maybe swinging higher and with a longer program, that would be a lot of fun!

Please stop talking about SFMM not having room to build any more rides. You all sound like morons. They have plenty of room. Proven by the fact that they've just added TWO new rides this year. Trust me, if they want to build a giant Frisbee or a mega coaster, they can fit it in. Why? Because they are experienced and doing stuff like that, whereas no one on this forum is.

No one believed me when I told them they were going to be putting in Tatsu, and everyone like "Um, where? How is that going to fit?" Yeah, well look at it now....

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

^Sadly that would mean the clock is ticking for Grinder Gearworks and Atom Smasher

I still remember when these rides were called the Himilaya and Electric Rainbow. Much more lights before they made them 'darker' ala the Gotham Backlot theme. Also the Enterprise.

Samurai Summit. Pave the old Skyway building and have it swing out over the ledge there. A big Screamin Swing would also be awesome there.

A 300ft Intamin Gyro drop would be a nice fit up there as well.....

And that would fit WHERE?

Elissa is right, MM has plenty of space. If Knott's can still wedge attractions in all over the park then you can bet your a$$ MM will continue to find room. Robb, does Newhall Land still own all the land surrounding the park?

I think the things they have added (or almost added) over the past two years should prove that they have room.

They still have PLENTY of room near Deja Vu/Apocalypse where Mr. Six was supposed to go. That spot can fit a pretty big ride/coaster. There is room up in Samurai Summit. There is room where X2/Viper is (behind the aforementioned "Greatest Coasters" sign). There is room for a flat where Spin Out was, where the Basketball game is, Thrill Shot, etc. I would say that SFMM could easily add 4-5 more coasters without removing any current coasters.

There is also PLENTY of room if they were to remove the Batman Theatre near Riddlers. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Deja Vu go in the next few years and another big coaster taking up that back corner.