TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Still don't get that Viper...54" height requirement. X...........48". Really?

The restraints on x are much more versatile when factoring rider size in. The restraint system moves up and down AND is put on like a backpack. Viper only has the OTSR, and its quite wide at the top. I agree with those height requirements based purely on their restraint system rather than 'thrill.'

I remember riding Goldrusher right when I hit the 48" mark, and I do remember a couple of little pops, particularly at the back of the train, where I felt that I could have popped up a bit too much for comfort. I was a skinny kid, too. The Goldrusher restraints go down to a set height, so once again I think it may be a safety issue with their system.

Then again I'm not a pro. Ta da!

^^Well the thing with Superman is they didn't really change the ride experience per se...they just changed the sequence in when the elements happen. I wouldn't call that new. Vaugley familiar? Yes. But new?...

EDIT: @WFCHRIS

I remember back in (I'd say) 2002 or earlier, that the height requirement on Viper was 48". It was a park decision to change it. And in addition as to why those two rides stick out is that they're made by the same company. B&M sticks with 54" no matter what the ride type is.*

*I think they're are two exceptions in Apollo's Chariot and Manta.

The Trains for Green Lantern are on site!!!

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/themeparks/la-trb-green-lantern-magic-mountain-02201104,0,7596230.story

Magic Mountain took delivery this week of the rocking and spinning Green Lantern coaster trains, which join portions of the emerald green track already on site at the Valencia amusement park. (Watch the concept video of the Green Lantern.)

Ground clearance is currently under way for the first-of-its-kind ride in the U.S., with vertical construction expected to begin in March in advance of a scheduled Memorial Day weekend unveiling. Crews still have to add the Green Lantern symbols and throwing-star designs to the sides of the five trains before on-track testing begins in late spring.

The Green Lantern's vertical zigzag track will sit on a compact footprint near the Batman and Riddler’s Revenge coasters. The new-concept, fourth-dimension coaster, similar in style to X2 but much tamer, will reach a top speed of 37 mph over 825 feet of serpentine track during the two-minute ride.

Upon boarding a train that straddles the track, eight riders per car face in two directions, forward and backward. A chain lift carries each car up an inverted curved section to a height of 107 feet. From there, the suspended trains rock back and forth on the straight-aways and rotate head over heels as the cars plunge over freefall drops.

The Intamin ZacSpin coaster is making its U.S. debut at Magic Mountain. The Grona Lund theme park in Stockholm added an identical ZacSpin called Insane last year, with smaller versions of the ride also operating in Spain and Finland.

484944307_GreenLantern1.jpg.9faffeab926bfdb1499323fc622a1e58.jpg

"The new-concept, fourth-dimension coaster, similar in style to X2 but much tamer..."

Are they sure about that? From the way Robb has described Tele2 Insane @ Gröna Lund, I think SFMM's mistaken in saying it's "much tamer".

Edited by MayTheGForceBeWithYou

^^Perhaps they're using 'tamer' as a way to explain in a nicer way that 'it won't bash your skull apart'. Kind of like when the Voyage fanboys tell you it's an 'aggressive' ride.

Remember also that they can run this thing REALLY tame if they want with a combination of balancing weight and putting the midcourse on really hard. When we got ERT on the Grona Lund one they let us test the boundries of the ride and it was, well, INSANE!

^^Perhaps they're using 'tamer' as a way to explain in a nicer way that 'it won't bash your skull apart'. Kind of like when the Voyage fanboys tell you it's an 'aggressive' ride.

Remember also that they can run this thing REALLY tame if they want with a combination of balancing weight and putting the midcourse on really hard. When we got ERT on the Grona Lund one they let us test the boundries of the ride and it was, well, INSANE!

Hopefully Magic Mountain pushes Green Lantern as well. This could become an awesome attraction if it is run well (correct weight distributions to allow flips, low braking on midcourse, etc).