TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

But that has to do more with the restraint system than the actual ride.

Exactly. Jaguar's (KBF) height requirement used to be 42" but because of the lap bar design Cedar Fair bumped it up to 48"

It wasn't due to the lap bar design, it was just because of Cedar Fair. At the same time they raised the height restriction, they ADDED seat belts! They raised several height restrictions throughout the park during this time. Almost every 42" ride they had at the time became 48" and I believe Bigfoot Rapids went from 36" to 42"

The same ride (although not exact layout) still operates with the same 42" height restriction at Mall of America.

--Robb

I'm not so sure height restrictions do anyone any good on Jaguar or Orange Streak with the lap bar design. Anyone else get a kick out of the fact that a single rider can easily slide out of their seat on top of the lapbar beside them?

Interesting thing about Cedar Fair is from while working at Cedar Point, I was told by very reliable sources that their seatbelt addiction doesn't do anything for their insurance rates (as many people who work there theorize). It is part of their "commitment to safety". I call it a commitment to overkill in some cases.

But that has to do more with the restraint system than the actual ride.

Exactly. Jaguar's (KBF) height requirement used to be 42" but because of the lap bar design Cedar Fair bumped it up to 48"

It wasn't due to the lap bar design, it was just because of Cedar Fair. At the same time they raised the height restriction, they ADDED seat belts! They raised several height restrictions throughout the park during this time. Almost every 42" ride they had at the time became 48" and I believe Bigfoot Rapids went from 36" to 42"

The same ride (although not exact layout) still operates with the same 42" height restriction at Mall of America.

--Robb

I remember when the height requirement was 42", because I'd ride Jaguar end on end because I couldn't ride Montezooma, Boomerang, etc. because I hadn't gotten to 48".

Interesting thing about Cedar Fair is from while working at Cedar Point, I was told by very reliable sources that their seatbelt addiction doesn't do anything for their insurance rates (as many people who work there theorize). It is part of their "commitment to safety". I call it a commitment to overkill in some cases.

And what I don't get is they went in and added them to basically all Arrow trains in the company, but Iron Dragon does not have them. This allowed them to still operate it with three trains with almost no stacking when I was there in May, but it seems like such a double standard to say they are necessary on another ride in the same park that has the SAME restraints.

^They probably just say that to keep the GP off them, I don't know how many times I was asked working at Six Flags if the restraint on the coaster was the only thing keeping them in. The ride has four (two of which that are in plain view to the guests) restraint mechanisms.

Or commitment to paranoia maybe. If only most GP knew how to buckle their own seatbelts I'm sure the ride crew could fly through checking the train and just give a quick tug on the end of the belt.

Jaguar is a great "beginner" coaster for kids

So was Revolution before the OTSRs. It had a 42" height requirement and I was able to take my then six-year-old nephew for his first ride on it. *SIGH* Those were the days.

Eric

^ In 1990, they installed these weird seats that had you feeling like you were sitting in a bucket, but still only had lap bars.

In 1991, they installed shoulder belts that were pretty much like the ones in your car.

In 1992, the same year that Flashback arrived, the current OTSRs were added.

Eric

Jaguar is a great "beginner" coaster for kids

It is...it's just too bad it doesn't have a height restriction that allows for it to be a beginner coaster. Think about it, but the time a kid is tall enough to ride Jaguar, he's probably have been on Big Thunder, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Matterhorn, and Tower of Terror "eight inches" ago. (2+ years before.)

So when they are 48", and they can ride Montezooma, Boomerang, Ghostrider, and basically everything else in the park EXCEPT for Bullet and Xcelerator, Jaguar doens't look so appealing anymore.

I have the same issue with Gold Rusher at SFMM. That ride should be 42". It's the perfect family coaster. But by the time you're tall enough to ride Gold Rusher, you've got X2, Terminator, Revolution, Goliath, Colossus, Superman, and now Green Lantern you can ride. Most people just ride Gold Rusher because the line is short, not because they find it very thrilling or fun any more. But to a 42" kid, that would be a BIG RIDE!

I mean, really, how do you explain to a 42" kid that they can ride Tower of Terror, but they can't ride Gold Rusher or Jaguar ... for at least ANOTHER TWO YEARS!!!

Oh well....

^ Haha yea all true. I have a 4 year old that I'm going to have to explain this to soon.........I'm dreading the day. My daughter looooooves Camp Snoopy @ KBf so I know she's going to be into bigger rides as soon as she possibly can. I still don't understand how a child can have all their teeth knocked out of their head on Ghostrider but can't ride Silver Bullet. I hated those complaints as it was hard to explain that to a guest with a 50" tall child.

Edited by DJeXeL

^ haha yea all true. I have a 4 year old that I'm going to have to explain this to soon.........I'm dreading the day. My daughter looooooves Camp Snoopy @ KBf so I know she's going to be into bigger rides as soon as she possibly can. I still don't understandnhow a child can have all their teeth knocked out of their head on Ghostrider but can't ride Silver Bullet. I hated those complaints as it was hard to explain that to a guest with a 50" tall child.

Aren't all B&M's standard with a 54 inch height mark? I could be wrong on the hypers though.

Yeah, I just don't understand why the height requirement for Gold Rusher is 48". I mean, Big Thunder's requirement is 40", and I think BTMRR is a bigger and faster ride.

Not only that, but the first time I rode Gold Rusher was, like Robb said, because the line was short. I got on the ride and just before dispatch, one of the ride ops noticed a girl under 48". So they got her out and told her parent that she was too short. And of course, the dad got into an argument with them for over 5 minutes, completely halting the dispatch because he refused to leave the platform. All because the girl was around 44". By the time I exited the ride, the queue was nearly full!

Seriously though, does the restraint system on Gold Rusher actually warrant a 48" height requirement?